coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's an interesting read!

It reinforces some of the concepts that I've been talking about and also provides some further insights.

I picked out these specific quotes to highlight a point regarding the importance of microbes in our home aquariums.

"This ability of microbes to metabolize nutrients, which can then be translocated to their host, is likely a driver in the establishment of coral-associated microbial assemblages."

"Within the coral holobiont, symbiosis can occur not only between the coral host and its photosymbionts or between the coral host and its microbiome but also as a mutualistic relationship between the photosymbionts and the microbiome. The growth and density of dinoflagellate populations within the coral host are highly dependent on available nutrients. As such, the microorganisms mediating nutrient cycling likely have an important role in the stability of the Symbiodinium population and consequently aid in the maintenance of coral-symbiotic algae interactions (Santos et al., 2014; Rädecker et al., 2015). This indicates that BMC mechanisms are not only specific to the coral host but could also be represented by beneficial interactions between coral microbial symbionts. Any manipulation must account for these complementary interactions within the holobiont. Therefore, the use of consortia (as opposed to single-strain inoculation) with a range of mechanisms for beneficial outcomes for the coral is strongly recommended."

This reinforces the concept of bacteria-driven systems where the constant dosing of beneficial bacteria facilitate nutrient transfer to the corals. People often run "high nutrient" systems without a proper understanding of what their parameters mean and how these values influence the interactions within our aquariums. My recent experience with bacteria driven systems has unveiled a new reefing mentality for me. My system now tests at 60 ppm nitrate and my Hanna ultra low phosphorous checker can no longer register my phosphate value. My corals however, have never looked better! In over 15 years of reef keeping I don't think I've seen these results in such a short timeframe.

My hypothesis regarding my experience is that our closed systems do not possess a reliable source of bacterial introduction. With the prevalence of dry rock and man-made alternatives, we do not have access to the diverse microbial life that comes on live rock. Also, with the prevalence of aquacultured corals it is not like we are introducing diverse microbial life either. The corals are only being transferred from closed system to closed system. This is why I think wholesalers have good success at keeping corals. Those systems are constantly processing corals from wild sources which replenish the beneficial bacterial populations in those systems.

For those who are running "high nutrients" but are not achieving those aspired results of deep/rich coloration, I believe that the issue is due to a microbial imbalance that is not allowing proper nutrient transfer to the coral.

My LPS corals have also exhibited greater polyp extension too. I have noticed that my LPS corals have began "pooping" more frequently even though they do not get spot fed, so they must be capturing some form of food to be constantly excreting. My dendrophyllias also stay open during the daytime and show growth too despite not being spot fed. If anyone has kept NPS corals before, you know that they require consistent feeding to thrive. I believe that my method of broadcast feeding is more capable of delivering nutrients to my corals due to the incorporation of live bacteria cultures and enzymes. Think about it like mama birding your corals! I rarely see results when feeding sps corals just particulate coral food. The food always sloughs off the coral and the polyps do not exhibit any change. However, with the incorporation of bacteria and enzymes along with the feed, I'm essentially predigesting the coral foods, aminos, trace elements with the bacteria and enzymes. Then once dosed into the system, the corals readily consume the nutrient rich bacteria!

Essentially, I am running a high nutrient zeovit system. I am leveraging the bacteria to provide a constant and stable source of nutrition for my corals. My main qualm with the zeovit system was how close you were teetering on the edge when you tried to achieve the recommended levels of nitrates and phosphates. Bottoming out was prevented was prevented by the introduction of a myriad of additives to replenish the rapidly depleted nutrients due to the consumption by the bacteria.
So my thinking goes,
If I maintain a consistently high nutrient source, and continually dose enriched bacteria, then my corals will have a consistent source of nutrient rich foods always available to them. This will also prevent bacterial population crashes due to the replenishing of bacteria through certain products. In addition, these bacteria serve to outcompete harmful pathogens that could lead to coral ailments. This allows me to promote coral growth, coloration, and health through strengthening the coral's ability to metabolize the products we dose into our aquariums.

So, what do y'all think about my train of thought?

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the general approach, but I do not think that constantly supplementing bottled bacteria is a feasible approach long-term. Nitrifying bacteria can double their population in as little as 8 hours, so any supplementation or new culture could just as easily be outcompeted by less "useful" but more aggressive strains of bacteria. I am aware of at least one study on bacterial populations in Acropora that concluded that the corals are able to control the bacterial populations within their tissue and in the water between branches. This would suggest that corals are able to maintain symbiotic bacterial populations the way humans do in our intestines, and in my opinion, would make dosing the water column an ineffective method provided that the necessary strains of bacteria are already present in the tank at some level. This is purely anecdotal, but I heard from someone in my local reef club that aquabiomics tests of tanks that supplemented amino acids daily tended to have lower levels of biodiversity, with the hypothesis being that the amino acids fed the most aggressive bacterial strains and allowed them to outcompete other species. It's also worth stating that higher phosphate levels are proven to make corals grow faster, so your method is backed by research if your goal is increased growth rates. Corals will ultimately adapt and grow in a variety of systems under a variety of parameters, but I am on board with the idea of higher nutrients for increased growth and deeper coloration. I would like to believe that corals can grow in captivity without the need for a medicine cabinet full of specialized supplements and time-intensive dosing regiments, and that a probiotic system like you describe can be achieved in a simple and (relatively) cost-effective manner. I will certainly be following along on your progress with this method.

Have you used any of the other methods of bacteria cultivation that have been popular in the last 20 years, like Miracle Mud, bio pellets, vodka dosing, deep sand bed, cryptic sump with live rock, etc.? I'd be curious to know how your experience with zeolites compares to the other methods, and if you see any benefit from implementing multiple mediums for cultivating your tank's microfauna.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post @coral reeftank
I agree with the rationale behind the approach, thanks for the read. I do believe in probiotic and nutrition being key not just for acropora but I have seen success even with the more sensitive zoa with this general approach too.
I will add the chemistry component as well in stabilizing the right ratios between certain trace elements.

As for what bacteria, food, traces are critical or beneficial to the meta processes within the holobiont and coral itself, I hope / suspect we will see as more studies or experiences are shared in the aquaculture community.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the general approach, but I do not think that constantly supplementing bottled bacteria is a feasible approach long-term. Nitrifying bacteria can double their population in as little as 8 hours, so any supplementation or new culture could just as easily be outcompeted by less "useful" but more aggressive strains of bacteria. I am aware of at least one study on bacterial populations in Acropora that concluded that the corals are able to control the bacterial populations within their tissue and in the water between branches. This would suggest that corals are able to maintain symbiotic bacterial populations the way humans do in our intestines, and in my opinion, would make dosing the water column an ineffective method provided that the necessary strains of bacteria are already present in the tank at some level. This is purely anecdotal, but I heard from someone in my local reef club that aquabiomics tests of tanks that supplemented amino acids daily tended to have lower levels of biodiversity, with the hypothesis being that the amino acids fed the most aggressive bacterial strains and allowed them to outcompete other species. It's also worth stating that higher phosphate levels are proven to make corals grow faster, so your method is backed by research if your goal is increased growth rates. Corals will ultimately adapt and grow in a variety of systems under a variety of parameters, but I am on board with the idea of higher nutrients for increased growth and deeper coloration. I would like to believe that corals can grow in captivity without the need for a medicine cabinet full of specialized supplements and time-intensive dosing regiments, and that a probiotic system like you describe can be achieved in a simple and (relatively) cost-effective manner. I will certainly be following along on your progress with this method.

Have you used any of the other methods of bacteria cultivation that have been popular in the last 20 years, like Miracle Mud, bio pellets, vodka dosing, deep sand bed, cryptic sump with live rock, etc.? I'd be curious to know how your experience with zeolites compares to the other methods, and if you see any benefit from implementing multiple mediums for cultivating your tank's microfauna.
Thanks for replying! I appreciate your input and thoughts on the subject. I'll raise some counterpoints to help this thought process along.

constantly supplementing bottled bacteria is a feasible approach long-term. Nitrifying bacteria can double their population in as little as 8 hours, so any supplementation or new culture could just as easily be outcompeted by less "useful" but more aggressive strains of bacteria.
Is this under the assumption of a sterile system? or in a reef aquarium setting? We must also account for predation and other restrictions to growth when we input these bacteria into our tanks. I know that it is 100% possible to have a successful reef without dosing these bacteria products, but would it not be beneficial to have an abundance of probiotic bacteria? Also, when I make my concoction, I mix it in a separate vessel with all the components. That way I am selecting the specific strains of probiotic bacteria that I am proliferating into the tank. It would be a different story if I dosed a bunch of these products indiscriminately into the display tank.

I am aware of at least one study on bacterial populations in Acropora that concluded that the corals are able to control the bacterial populations within their tissue and in the water between branches. This would suggest that corals are able to maintain symbiotic bacterial populations the way humans do in our intestines, and in my opinion, would make dosing the water column an ineffective method provided that the necessary strains of bacteria are already present in the tank at some level.
Agreed, The acros do this through their mucus secretion. If anyone has ever smelled healthy acropora, then you are smelling all that mucus and the living bacteria that exist on the coral. To liken it to our intestines is a very good analogy! It's how I describe it to people too!
I believe that routine dosing would be necessary due to the nature of closed systems, and possibility of culture crashes.
Also, if the corals have the ability to both "farm" and directly consume these bacteria would it not be more energy efficient to just catch the bacteria with their polyps? Would you rather farm your food? or go to the grocery store? If this is the case, by additional supplementation you are providing your corals with an overabundance of food.
Could certain RTN/STN events be due to the lost of the coral's "farm"? This could possibly lead to the coral starving.

Again these are just some of my thoughts. I haven't found too much scientific literature regarding the topic. However, with my experience so far it is pushing me towards one direction.

This is purely anecdotal, but I heard from someone in my local reef club that aquabiomics tests of tanks that supplemented amino acids daily tended to have lower levels of biodiversity, with the hypothesis being that the amino acids fed the most aggressive bacterial strains and allowed them to outcompete other species.
I have heard this as well. I do not dose my system with aminos for this reason.
I dose aminos into my concoction with the specific probiotic bacteria that I choose. I think by doing this, I can minimize any unwanted organisms. I also dose the probiotic bacteria into the system as well to consistently boost their populations even if they are being outcompeted/consumed. It would be awesome to model the behavior of these bacteria with their different growth rates in the home aquarium. We need some theoretical ecologists on this one!!!

I have tried NOPOX, MB7, Fritz, deep sand bed, vinegar dosing, etc... I have tried a lot over my years but have now settled on a few products that I will continue using.
Zeobak
Rebiotic
Zeozym
zeolites
I still employ gravel and cryptic zones in all my systems. I also have lots sponges in my systems as well. I have lots of caves for my fish and the sponges and other organisms proliferate in these dark areas.
I definitely believe having a wide range of ecological niches and habitats in your system is beneficial. This provides a holistic approach towards nutrient control and metabolization. The ocean has all these within it, and we are trying to replicate healthy ocean reefs where all these resources exist in abundance. So why not diversify! I can't say if they have a directly effect in any way since I don't have the data or testing to do so. But if my eyes see beautiful, healthy coral then I'm going to keep doing it! :)

Great post @coral reeftank
I agree with the rationale behind the approach, thanks for the read. I do believe in probiotic and nutrition being key not just for acropora but I have seen success even with the more sensitive zoa with this general approach too.
I will add the chemistry component as well in stabilizing the right ratios between certain trace elements.

As for what bacteria, food, traces are critical or beneficial to the meta processes within the holobiont and coral itself, I hope / suspect we will see as more studies or experiences are shared in the aquaculture community.
Yup, it boils down to food and trace elements. Dialing in these aspects will usher in a new era of reef keeping.

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let your bacteria and amino acid solution sit before adding it to the tank? Surely the bacteria would need some time to multiply even with the help of the amino acid solution. I would also be curious to know if there is an ideal window for how long the mixture can sit on a shelf or in a fridge before one or two bacterial strains takes over the nutrient-rich environment.

When it comes to farming vs consuming bacteria for corals, it’s a bit like asking if probiotic yogurt or kombucha is necessary for proper digestion for humans. Even in a closed system, I would expect the population of symbiotic bacteria to persist, especially since us humans are able to digest food and maintain a gut biome in our much less bio-diverse world of antibiotic-treated meat and sterilized produce. Zooxanthele is another symbiotic population that corals host within their tissue and manipulate to their own benefit, and they are capable of maintaining this population in aquaculture settings. Obviously you’re getting great results with your method, but I would like to know how it could be refined into a more practical, “hands off” approach.

What do you think about water changes? Do you dose beneficial bacteria to new water before replacing your old tank water if you perform water changes at all?
Also, if the corals have the ability to both "farm" and directly consume these bacteria would it not be more energy efficient to just catch the bacteria with their polyps? Would you rather farm your food? or go to the grocery store? If this is the case, by additional supplementation you are providing your corals with an overabundance of food.
Could certain RTN/STN events be due to the lost of the coral's "farm"? This could possibly lead to the coral starving.

I have heard this as well. I do not dose my system with aminos for this reason.
I dose aminos into my concoction with the specific probiotic bacteria that I choose. I think by doing this, I can minimize any unwanted organisms. I also dose the probiotic bacteria into the system as well to consistently boost their populations even if they are being outcompeted/consumed.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long do you let your bacteria and amino acid solution sit before adding it to the tank? Surely the bacteria would need some time to multiply even with the help of the amino acid solution. I would also be curious to know if there is an ideal window for how long the mixture can sit on a shelf or in a fridge before one or two bacterial strains takes over the nutrient-rich environment.

When it comes to farming vs consuming bacteria for corals, it’s a bit like asking if probiotic yogurt or kombucha is necessary for proper digestion for humans. Even in a closed system, I would expect the population of symbiotic bacteria to persist, especially since us humans are able to digest food and maintain a gut biome in our much less bio-diverse world of antibiotic-treated meat and sterilized produce. Zooxanthele is another symbiotic population that corals host within their tissue and manipulate to their own benefit, and they are capable of maintaining this population in aquaculture settings. Obviously you’re getting great results with your method, but I would like to know how it could be refined into a more practical, “hands off” approach.

What do you think about water changes? Do you dose beneficial bacteria to new water before replacing your old tank water if you perform water changes at all?

I let it sit for 8 hours

This is true, however I think that the majority of systems today begin sterile and it takes much effort on the part of the hobbyist to curate a diverse microbiome. A lot of people struggle within their first few years as certain microbial populations struggle for dominance. I think my method just ensures that my probiotic bacteria populations stay stable and can aid in times of high stress. This is especially important when you get new corals that are beat up from shipping.

I've been wondering if this can be made into a shelf stable cocktail. I think that it would have to be refrigerated and constantly mixed as all the particles will begin to fall out of solution/dissolved.

I do 5-10 gallon water changes every week. I dose the bacteria by itself once a week. I dose the concoction twice a week which includes the probiotic bacteria in there.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FD2DD8D9-215E-4C0B-BE96-F45BB3B3D2EE.jpeg

The trinity of Hawaiian tangs!

C92E782D-4729-4214-8223-971B9804E9FF.jpeg

CRT Two-Face Lokani, this one is rediculous

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some pieces are just erupting! Look at these polyps!

_DSC8032-2.JPG

CRT Golden Eye, the picture above was taken today. The picture below was taken on 7/10
_DSC7769.JPG

Just look at the change! The polyps are the literal proof!

_DSC8034-2.JPG

TGC Crazy Eyes

_DSC8042-2.JPG

CRT Hot Rod

_DSC8044.JPG

My special unicorn

_DSC8052.JPG

TGC Pearly Gates, this one finally decided to grow

Last edited:

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your pics are the best! Inspiration.

Curious - anything on the horizon for you regarding this hobby/your tank? It seems you have many nice colonies. What's the next step for you, or what are you looking forward to?

Can't wait to stop by one day and see your setup. Looking forward to more!!

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your pics are the best! Inspiration.

Curious - anything on the horizon for you regarding this hobby/your tank? It seems you have many nice colonies. What's the next step for you, or what are you looking forward to?

Can't wait to stop by one day and see your setup. Looking forward to more!!
Thanks, my plan is start getting certain corals to spawn and to get them settled. So far I have had acanthophyllias spawn in my system. I'm working on rebuilding my torch/hammer collection and to collect more corals to have potential broodstock.

I plan on repurposing one of my systems to mimic their native lighting and water temperatures. Hopefully I can make some progress with my methods!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back