OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today, I had an awesome opportunity to visit Ryan (Chummingham's Reef) one of my great reefing friends!
It's always a pleasure to see his set up. I was able to try out my magic concoction on his system and see the results, very promising ;). I also snagged some amazing pieces from the Doctor himself!
IMG_1736.JPG

These photos were taken immediate after dipping so they look a bit beat up, but boy did I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)
_DSC8194.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Something Sinister Grafted Granulosa, excited to add another grafted smooth skin to my collection! The deep maroon and green/yellow swirls make this one really easy on the eyes lol

_DSC8195.JPG

Tyree Pink Lemonade, it's probably been a decade since I bought a piece of pink lemonade. It was one of my first collector acros, an incredibly sentimental Acro.I just had to add it back to the collection. Such a great classic, and I think Ryan's is the most yellow pink lemonade I've seen!

_DSC8196.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Hippie Juice, I'm absolutely floored by this thing! Just WOWOWOWOWOW! It's like a much nicer vivid's confetti, but like all nice things in this hobby it means that this thing grows slow :loudly-crying-face:

_DSC8197.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Great White Bull, this one reminds of the classic RMF Red Devil Nasuta. Now imagine if the red devil was bright yellow and blue!

Just for some further insight, my trials have changed how I view nutrient control/management. Would you believe me if I told you that my system fluctuates ~ .6 ppm of phosphates?? This is within one day and without the use of GFO! Last night after dosing my concoction my Hanna Phosphorous checker could not calculate the value because it was too high. Today, the phosphate measures at .166 ppm.
My nitrates are also at an astounding 74 ppm today. This particular system has a tendency to run higher nutrients, but is capable of lowering them at an extremely fast rate. Bear in mind that my system has a very high biomass and is packed with established acropora colonies.

Most of my recent photos came from the system where the Nitrate = 74ppm and Phos = .166
So you can be the judge about whether what I'm doing is "right" or "wrong".
It really goes to show that numbers are just numbers and that they cannot be relied on solely to address ailments in your system.

I think that people misunderstand the mechanisms behind "high nutrient" systems. I treat "high nutrient" systems as systems that are capable of metabolizing and processing an extreme amount of FOOD. A "high nutrient" system should be able to convert an immense amount of food and nutrients into biomass. Just having high residual N and P is not akin to having a "high nutrient".
I do not think that long term exposure to high levels of N or P is a good thing for corals (perhaps some), but the conversion of high levels of N or P into a bioavailable form is a great thing! How do we do this? By leveraging bacteria!
Let's think about why we dose N and P in the first place. We commonly dose N and P in order to chase better coral coloration/health. This is directly related to the nutrition that the coral receives, whether through photosynthesis or through prey capture. I presume that the corals get the majority of the N and P they need through the prey that they capture and ingest from their polyps and not directly through osmosis or absorbing through their tissue, but I could be wrong. Would it not make sense that their main form of ingestion is through the polyp and not through the tissue?
Our ultra-filtered systems oftentimes can register near 0 values of N and P. This makes N and P a limiting factor in our reef tanks.
Now think about what that does to the microbiome. Competition becomes extra fierce when resources become extremely scarce. This creates an ecological niche for opportunistic organisms to exploit. This could explain why we experience rtn or weird algal issues in established systems when we drop our nutrients suddenly. The microbiome is instantly starved and destroyed, leading to a chaotic episode of ecological succession.

If it were only as simple as having high N and P for coral success, then a brand new system that is mid-cycle would be best for corals. But it's not! The key is the robustness and curation of the microbiome. A brand new system does not have the necessary microbiome to support SPS corals and that's why so many people lose their first sps coral and continue losing them until their tank magically "stabilizes".
Eventually the system is inoculated with enough beneficial bacteria/coral mass that the system is able to compete against pathogenic microbes and withstand major stress events.
By creating an environment that is conducive to the growth of beneficial microbes we are directly feeding our corals and amplifying competition to compete against pathogenic microbes.
My method attempts to mimic the nutrient surges that corals experience in the wild. By leveraging probiotic bacteria and enzymes to "digest" particulate foods, aminos, and trace elements I am essentially gut loading bacteria which are then easily captured by the corals. The unconsumed bacteria will serve to reinforce the tank's population and ward off unwanted microbes.
My experience with feeding acros has always been so-so. I just never know if they eat any of the large particles found in most coral foods. However, when I dose my concoction the majority of acros will instantly display their mesenterial filaments. I think that this is a feeding response due to the massive influx of easily accessible prey. The next day I notice plump polyps on my acros and the tissues appears to be more voluminous.

This paper notes that elevated nitrates and phosphates "did not cause significant mortality". It was the elevated levels of DOC's that led to the most coral mortality.

This "suggests that high levels of DOC rapidly disrupt the balance between the coral and its associated microbes. In support of this hypothesis, Kuntz et al. (2005) showed that continual exposure to elevated DOC leads to an exponential increase in coral mortality... This could disrupt the balance between the different Bacteria, possibly leading to overgrowth of a member of the community and subsequent coral mortality. Another possibility is that enrichment of a subset of the community allows these Bacteria to outcompete other Bacteria that could have important defensive (i.e. antibiotic production) or metabolic roles (i.e. carbon or nitrogen fixation)."

So let me interpret this, and apply my rationale.
In our closed systems, equilibrium cannot be attained without OUR direct input. It is the nature of closed systems to favor one extreme or another when there is not direct human intervention. Our systems are extremely volatile and require our diligence to maintain smooth operation.
Also, a lot of the biological processes that occur in our tanks are not visible to the human eye and are influenced by a myriad of other reef chemistry factors that we may not fully understand yet. We also know that corals prey and can "farm" bacteria with their mucus. Through routine usage of my concoction I believe that I am controlling my DOC levels and promoting beneficial microbial growth while keeping the pathogens at bay.
So, it could be plausible that over time there could be a major stress event that occurs in our system, resulting in a reshuffling of the microbiome. Their are also so many things out of our control that can influence our systems health too! Poor air quality, dirty hands, dirty equipment, dirty rags, seasonal changes, there are so many factors that can influence the microbial life in our tanks. Even if these bacterial populations reach a healthy equilibrium in our tanks, it is only a matter of time before a stress event creates a catastrophe.

This disturbance could lead to pathogenic bacteria dominating your system and causing you endless headache as you scramble to figure out why you can't keep anything alive. I believe that the routine dosing of probiotic bacterial strains could alleviate this issue drastically by maintaining microbial and nutritional stability. This is a proactive approach towards maintaining microbial stability. If the beneficial bacterial population is always high then there leaves no room for opportunistic microbes and pathogens to take root. The probiotic bacteria continually consume the DOC in our water and it is our job to continually provide the proper nutrition to these bacterial colonies so that they can keep the nasties away. My method aims to culture probiotic bacteria in a separate container allowing them to proliferate and absorb nutrients. Once administered to the system you are no longer polluting your tank by putting in a bunch of decaying particulate foods, but instead feeding a rich bacterial blend loaded with nutrients that corals easily capture.
If you were experiencing a major stress event and were dosing probiotic supplements it is plausible that you could reinforce the microbiome until the stress event passed resulting in minimal losses, but this is just a theory at the moment. I don't have any concrete proof, but I have had more success at fighting RTN and the coral stabilizing after the skin sloughs off. Probiotics might be a more efficient and more environmentally conscious alternative to antibiotics!

This article discusses the effects of high nitrate and phosphate and its effect on Euphyllia. It does not mention much about the DOC content in the water but shows the effects of limiting N and P. Euphyllia aren't exactly acros, but there could be a similar result observed.

Continual usage of my concoction has resulted in extreme calcium demands and I have had to supplement additional calcium. Growth has also become visble on all of my acros and stunted pieces have started to regrow. I think this is evident from my calcium demands suddenly skyrocketing. The alk is kept relatively stable through dentrification and my calcium reactor and kalk. Acros are no longer growing at a snails pace and colors have improved immensely! The acros have developed thicker tissue and exude a brilliance that was not present prior.

Again this is my experience so far, please don't go out of your way to try my methods as I am still working on refining the process. However, if you want to add any valuable input or insight or are curious about anything please feel free to discuss on this thread or PM me. This is only the tip of the iceberg!

7gsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I had an awesome opportunity to visit Ryan (Chummingham's Reef) one of my great reefing friends!
It's always a pleasure to see his set up. I was able to try out my magic concoction on his system and see the results, very promising ;). I also snagged some amazing pieces from the Doctor himself!
IMG_1736.JPG

These photos were taken immediate after dipping so they look a bit beat up, but boy did I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)
_DSC8194.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Something Sinister Grafted Granulosa, excited to add another grafted smooth skin to my collection! The deep maroon and green/yellow swirls make this one really easy on the eyes lol

_DSC8195.JPG

Tyree Pink Lemonade, it's probably been a decade since I bought a piece of pink lemonade. It was one of my first collector acros, an incredibly sentimental Acro.I just had to add it back to the collection. Such a great classic, and I think Ryan's is the most yellow pink lemonade I've seen!

_DSC8196.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Hippie Juice, I'm absolutely floored by this thing! Just WOWOWOWOWOW! It's like a much nicer vivid's confetti, but like all nice things in this hobby it means that this thing grows slow :loudly-crying-face:

_DSC8197.JPG

Chummingham's Reef Great White Bull, this one reminds of the classic RMF Red Devil Nasuta. Now imagine if the red devil was bright yellow and blue!

Just for some further insight, my trials have changed how I view nutrient control/management. Would you believe me if I told you that my system fluctuates ~ .6 ppm of phosphates?? This is within one day and without the use of GFO! Last night after dosing my concoction my Hanna Phosphorous checker could not calculate the value because it was too high. Today, the phosphate measures at .166 ppm.
My nitrates are also at an astounding 74 ppm today. This particular system has a tendency to run higher nutrients, but is capable of lowering them at an extremely fast rate. Bear in mind that my system has a very high biomass and is packed with established acropora colonies.

Most of my recent photos came from the system where the Nitrate = 74ppm and Phos = .166
It really goes to show that numbers are just numbers and that they cannot be relied on solely to address ailments in your system.

I think that people misunderstand the mechanisms behind "high nutrient" systems. I treat "high nutrient" systems as systems that are capable of metabolizing and processing an extreme amount of FOOD. A "high nutrient" system should be able to convert an immense amount of food and nutrients into biomass. Just having high residual N and P is not akin to having a "high nutrient".
I do not think that long term exposure to high levels of N or P is a good thing for corals (perhaps some), but the conversion of high levels of N or P into a bioavailable form is a great thing! How do we do this? By leveraging bacteria!
Let's think about why we dose N and P in the first place. We commonly dose N and P in order to chase better coral coloration/health. This is directly related to the nutrition that the coral receives, whether through photosynthesis or through prey capture. I presume that the corals get the majority of the N and P they need through the prey that they capture and ingest from their polyps and not directly through osmosis or absorbing through their tissue, but I could be wrong. Would it not make sense that their main form of ingestion is through the polyp and not through the tissue?
Our ultra-filtered systems oftentimes can register near 0 values of N and P. This makes N and P a limiting factor in our reef tanks.
Now think about what that does to the microbiome. Competition becomes extra fierce when resources become extremely scarce. This creates an ecological niche for opportunistic organisms to exploit. This could explain why we experience rtn or weird algal issues in established systems when we drop our nutrients suddenly. The microbiome is instantly starved and destroyed, leading to a chaotic episode of ecological succession.

If it were only as simple as having high N and P for coral success, then a brand new system that is mid-cycle would be best for corals. But it's not! The key is the robustness and curation of the microbiome. A brand new system does not have the necessary microbiome to support SPS corals and that's why so many people lose their first sps coral and continue losing them until their tank magically "stabilizes".
Eventually the system is inoculated with enough beneficial bacteria/coral mass that the system is able to compete against pathogenic microbes and withstand major stress events.
By creating an environment that is conducive to the growth of beneficial microbes we are directly feeding our corals and amplifying competition to compete against pathogenic microbes.
My method attempts to mimic the nutrient surges that corals experience in the wild. By leveraging probiotic bacteria and enzymes to "digest" particulate foods, aminos, and trace elements I am essentially gut loading bacteria which are then easily captured by the corals. The unconsumed bacteria will serve to reinforce the tank's population and ward off unwanted microbes.
My experience with feeding acros has always been so-so. I just never know if they eat any of the large particles found in most coral foods. However, when I dose my concoction the majority of acros will instantly display their mesenterial filaments. I think that this is a feeding response due to the massive influx of easily accessible prey. The next day I notice plump polyps on my acros and the tissues appears to be more voluminous.

This paper notes that elevated nitrates and phosphates "did not cause significant mortality". It was the elevated levels of DOC's that led to the most coral mortality.

This "suggests that high levels of DOC rapidly disrupt the balance between the coral and its associated microbes. In support of this hypothesis, Kuntz et al. (2005) showed that continual exposure to elevated DOC leads to an exponential increase in coral mortality... This could disrupt the balance between the different Bacteria, possibly leading to overgrowth of a member of the community and subsequent coral mortality. Another possibility is that enrichment of a subset of the community allows these Bacteria to outcompete other Bacteria that could have important defensive (i.e. antibiotic production) or metabolic roles (i.e. carbon or nitrogen fixation)."

In our closed systems, equilibrium cannot be attained without OUR direct input. It is the nature of closed systems to favor one extreme or another when there is not direct human intervention. Our systems are extremely volatile and require our diligence to maintain smooth operation.
Also, a lot of the biological processes that occur in our tanks are not visible to the human eye and are influenced by a myriad of other reef chemistry factors that we may not fully understand yet. We also know that corals prey and can "farm" bacteria with their mucus. Through routine usage of my concoction I believe that I am controlling my DOC levels and promoting beneficial microbial growth while keeping the pathogens at bay.
So, it could be plausible that over time there could be a major stress event that occurs in our system, resulting in a reshuffling of the microbiome. Their are also so many things out of our control that can influence our systems health too! Poor air quality, dirty hands, dirty equipment, dirty rags, seasonal changes, there are so many factors that can influence the microbial life in our tanks. Even if these bacterial populations reach a healthy equilibrium in our tanks, it is only a matter of time before a stress event creates a catastrophe.

This disturbance could lead to pathogenic bacteria dominating your system and causing you endless headache as you scramble to figure out why you can't keep anything alive. I believe that the routine dosing of probiotic bacterial strains could alleviate this issue drastically by maintaining microbial and nutritional stability. This is a proactive approach towards maintaining microbial stability. If the beneficial bacterial population is always high then there leaves no room for opportunistic microbes and pathogens to take root. The probiotic bacteria continually consume the DOC in our water and it is our job to continually provide the proper nutrition to these bacterial colonies so that they can keep the nasties away. My method aims to culture probiotic bacteria in a separate container allowing them to proliferate and absorb nutrients. Once administered to the system you are no longer polluting your tank by putting in a bunch of decaying particulate foods, but instead feeding a rich bacterial blend loaded with nutrients that corals easily capture.
If you were experiencing a major stress event and were dosing probiotic supplements it is plausible that you could reinforce the microbiome until the stress event passed resulting in minimal losses, but this is just a theory at the moment. I don't have any concrete proof, but I have had more success at fighting RTN and the coral stabilizing after the skin sloughs off. Probiotics might be a more efficient and more environmentally conscious alternative to antibiotics!

This article discusses the effects of high nitrate and phosphate and its effect on Euphyllia. It does not mention much about the DOC content in the water but shows the effects of limiting N and P. Euphyllia aren't exactly acros, but there could be a similar result observed.

Continual usage of my concoction has resulted in extreme calcium demands and I have had to supplement additional calcium. Growth has also become visble on all of my acros and stunted pieces have started to regrow. I think this is evident from my calcium demands suddenly skyrocketing. The alk is kept relatively stable through dentrification and my calcium reactor and kalk. Acros are no longer growing at a snails pace and colors have improved immensely! The acros have developed thicker tissue and exude a brilliance that was not present prior.

Again this is my experience so far, please don't go out of your way to try my methods as I am still working on refining the process. However, if you want to add any valuable input or insight or are curious about anything please feel free to discuss on this thread or PM me. This is only the tip of the iceberg!
That hippie juice is a good one. It grows so fast.

I cant wait to try out some of this tech on my reef as I believe it will help me get out of the spot that im in. I have some coral that are struggling where as before i never had these issues. I always have ran a higher ratio of nutrients and have had solid success with it, but now I believe theres some lack of beneficial bacteria due to not moving corals around or introducing anything new. + With your articles i think it may be safe to say I may have that issue.

The only thing I haven’t been maintaining in my reef is a resupply of bacteria or stabilization of it.

Pretty sick stuff

Attachments

• IMG_4071.png
    IMG_4071.png
    792.6 KB · Views: 73

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all of your flow from the 2 mp40s on each side? How long is your tank? How are you managing stopping them from sucking air so close to the surface?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is all of your flow from the 2 mp40s on each side? How long is your tank? How are you managing stopping them from sucking air so close to the surface?
yes, 4 mp40s total. I have them on anti-sync reef crest mode. The diagonal pumps are in sync with each other, the flow pattern allows a swirling effect to take place in the tank and will reverse the direction of the flow as the pumps on the diagonals ramp up and down. I've found this to keep everything happy!
It took a lot of minute adjustments to make sure that they don't suck air and gurgle, but I finally found the sweet spot!

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, 4 mp40s total. I have them on anti-sync reef crest mode. The diagonal pumps are in sync with each other, the flow pattern allows a swirling effect to take place in the tank and will reverse the direction of the flow as the pumps on the diagonals ramp up and down. I've found this to keep everything happy!
It took a lot of minute adjustments to make sure that they don't suck air and gurgle, but I finally found the sweet spot!
Sweet good to know! Another question, have you ever looked into reef-actif from tropic? Trying it out personally right now but after reading your thoughts on bacteria seems right up your alley lol.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet good to know! Another question, have you ever looked into reef-actif from tropic? Trying it out personally right now but after reading your thoughts on bacteria seems right up your alley lol.
I have not tried it yet, but it seems like it promotes the same effects as I am already seeing using the products I already am. Maybe in the future once I run out of stuff in my fish cabinet.

On a side note, the system that tested at 74 ppm nitrates yesterday now clocked in at 15 ppm nitrates. Water is crystal clear, acros are happy, and I am happy. The invisible processes of life are amazing!

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried it yet, but it seems like it promotes the same effects as I am already seeing using the products I already am. Maybe in the future once I run out of stuff in my fish cabinet.

On a side note, the system that tested at 74 ppm nitrates yesterday now clocked in at 15 ppm nitrates. Water is crystal clear, acros are happy, and I am happy. The invisible processes of life are amazing!
Thats insane to go from 74 to 15, somethings hungry! And you don't run a refugium or anything macro algae wise ?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats insane to go from 74 to 15, somethings hungry! And you don't run a refugium or anything macro algae wise ?
Nope, just the corals and bacteria lol
I’ve also noticed that my rocks are clearing up, less film algae growth and less turf algae too.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand aquarium is your 60x30x20” tank? Those dimensions arn’t very standard but super nice, hard to find. Metal stand?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What brand aquarium is your 60x30x20” tank? Those dimensions arn’t very standard but super nice, hard to find. Metal stand?
It is a custom tank made by Miracles in Canada. I got it from another member on R2R actually. It has a nice external ghost overflow, 3 sides of starphire, smoked back glass and I think the bottom seams are armored since there is a perimeter of glass around the bottom panel of glass. I also put a piece of starboard on the bottom.

That pink lemonade looks sooo good !
I know! It's the yellowest pink lemonade lol

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is another great article! This "work describes a potential probiotic treatment for an infectious coral disease as well as one of the best-characterized coral probiotics in terms of its antimicrobial chemistry and effects on a tissue loss disease".

Some meaningful quotes I found while reading the article.
"In addition, like most antibiotics, amoxicillin does not provide lasting protection and needs to be repeatedly administered if the initial treatment fails or if the coral is reinfected, which has been observed with SCTLD11,12,13. The latter is concerning, because the agents responsible for SCTLD are unidentified and waterborne;7 therefore, they are present in the environment and capable of reinfecting hosts."
This makes sense, it explains why people experience rtn/issues even after they dose some form of antibiotic into their system. Whether it is cipro/chemiclean/amox eventually the problem will rear its ugly head again. That is because these pathogens are waterborne and most likely exist in our aquariums at low population densities waiting for their perfect opportunity to exploit.

"Accordingly, probiotics are being studied for various systems including aquaculture, human and veterinary medicine, and corals because of their potential to treat disease and prevent infections. In corals, various microbes have been isolated from healthy colonies that inhibit the growth of pathogenic organisms during in vitro assays19,20. In addition, disruption of the healthy coral microflora has been correlated with reduced host fitness or susceptibility to infection21,22, which indicates a protective role for these microbes."

"In separate studies, treatment with a mixture of bacterial strains reduced the effects of heat stress and a bacterial pathogen on corals16,24, which may be achieved through a modulation of the coral immune response16. While beneficial coral-associated bacteria are understudied in comparison to fields like the human gut microbiome and associated probiotics25,26, these studies suggest that probiotic bacteria are a viable option for coral disease mitigation."
"Overall, these results suggested that McH1-7 may be a viable treatment for SCTLD based on these aquarium trials, but further investigation is warranted because V. coralliilyticus coinfections may diminish treatment success."

In this paper, they honed in specifically on McH1-7 and its properties, perhaps other probiotic bacteria strains also have antibacterial/microbial properties as well. Hopefully there will be more literature on this topic soon!

"One strength of probiotics is their potential as a prophylactic treatment; therefore, healthy M. cavernosa were treated with McH1-7 to evaluate its ability to protect against SCTLD transmission. Overall, McH1-7 was able to protect pre-treated M. cavernosa fragments in contact with diseased fragments over a 21-day period after a single treatment (Fig. 5 and Supplementary Table S5). There was no obvious damage from intraspecific competition between control corals (Fig. 5a–d), so any lesions observed with the experimental corals were attributed to disease transmission. The non-treated healthy fragments in contact with diseased fragments (Fig. 5e–h) had a disease transmission rate of 33.3% (n = 12) within 4–6 days of contact, which was similar to previous transmission studies7. In contrast, none of the fragments pre-treated with McH1-7 (Fig. 5i–l), developed any disease signs during the 21-day experiment (log-rank (Mantel–Cox) test, P = 0.032, n = 12). Surprisingly, the diseased corals in contact with pre-treated fragments had slower disease progression compared to the diseased corals that were in contact with non-treated fragments (mixed-effects ANOVA; treatment P = 0.004, time P < 0.001, interaction P < 0.0001; n = 12) (Fig. 5m)."
You know what they say about an ounce of prevention!

"Briefly, ddPCR results suggest that this probiotic is not maintained at relatively high levels on M. cavernosa over time as well as not dominating the coral microflora (Supplementary Note and Supplementary Fig. S16). In all, these results suggest the beneficial effects of McH1-7 on healthy corals is not due to it outcompeting and dominating the coral microflora nor does it require a concentrated density of this strain, which may be a positive trait for a probiotic treatment...This study describes the discovery and application of Pseudoalteromonas sp. McH1-7, a bacterial probiotic effective against a coral tissue loss disease and the deepest characterization of its chemistry and application. This strain is effective as a direct treatment for SCTLD, and perhaps more importantly, as a pre-treatment of healthy coral fragments to protect against disease transmission. Although the mechanisms responsible for the protective attributes of McH1-7 are uncertain, its broad-spectrum antibacterial activity is thought to be involved because broad-spectrum antibiotics are effective against SCTLD11,12,13. "
According to this study, it shows that McH1-7 does not linger around very long, nor does it dominate the microbiome of the coral. Could this be why all these bacteria products tell us to routinely dose them? Sounds plausible to me, if we can maintain these microbes at an artificially high population density would this curb SCTLD/RTN associated with microbes?

"While recent work has demonstrated that the addition of beneficial bacteria can alter coral microbiome composition24,51,52, we found that an effective probiotic may not need to comprise a major proportion of the host microbiome to confer beneficial effects, and this is consistent with other recent attempts at coral microbiome manipulation. For example, protection from heat stress was conferred by inoculation with a cocktail of six beneficial bacterial strains, yet only half of the strains could be detected, and those that were detected were present at less than 1% relative abundance16. Similarly, the microbial communities of coral larvae were successfully manipulated with the addition of a cocktail of seven probiotic strains, though most were detected at ≤5% relative abundance53. Here, McH1-7 does not appear to dominate the host microflora after treatments (Supplementary Fig. S16) yet is able to protect against SCTLD transmission as well as potentially benefit nearby diseased corals (Fig. 5). This suggests that being able to significantly outcompete the host microbiome may not be a required, or even a desirable trait for an effective probiotic, as it could be speculated that overdominance of the host microbiome would inhibit adaptability due to a loss of the communities’ functional diversity. One can speculate upon the mechanisms for this process, but this study demonstrates how a potentially effective prophylactic treatment for coral disease does not necessarily have to be the dominant microbe on a coral."
A little goes a long way! Now I wonder what a lot would do... could you potentially have too much of a good thing in this case???

Since I've started using all these probiotic/bacterial supplements I have noticed similar results as the study's. Makes me wonder what the specific probiotic bacteria strains are in all these products.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good indicator that your system is ready for acros is the proliferation of coralline algae. Once you see a good bit growing in your tank you can feel more assured about your acro-growing abilities
I have read this 1000 times. I have always struggled to grow coralline even when my acros seemed happy. There have only been 2 times when my main display grew coralline like crazy. Both of those times was when I thought I was done in the hobby due to frustration. Basically, I stopped doing water changes, stopped vacuuming detritus, stopped testing for anything other than Dkh, doing the absolute bare minimum. It actually drives me crazy that it won’t grow in my main on anything other than plastics (pumps, overflow, frag rack).

What’s even crazier to me. I have had a 40 plumbed into my 90 now for a year or so. The 40 has a completely different biome. It does grow coralline!

And another side note, I said “F” it recently and started feeding lots of food to see what happened. I started doing this after seeing your plump acros while visiting and all the things you were feeding back in June. Things seemed fine and then cyano showed up and is covering 1/2 my tank now. So I stopped the feeding so much. However, my acros always look best when I get cyano, colors generally get better and poly extension goes crazy.

So do I nuke the cyano with chemi clean? Do I vacuum, do water changes, clean everything to reduce nutrients, constantly try do get rid of it for months with no change (I always try to go natural, but it NEVER works)? Continue to feed and see if the cyano just goes away? I just don’t know anymore.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1736.JPG

_DSC8194.JPG

_DSC8195.JPG

_DSC8196.JPG

_DSC8197.JPG

The way I Iook at it is like trying to understand the quality/quantity of gamma/x-ray radiation by having tools which can only [unreliability] measure a small part of the visible spectrum. Like you’re eluding to, P/N are not very good indicators of biological stability and worse still, the devices we use to measure them are hardly dependable. P/N are important of course. Its the organics and bacteria interconnectedness we cannot measure here. It’s very frustrating.

I’ve done psychological research at university and the one constant is, if you cannot measure it, it isn’t scientific - it’s more to do with “feelings” at this point. Validity and reliability aren’t even in the conversation yet. I firmly believe we really haven’t progressed much biologically in this hobby in the last decade. I just think we’ve killed off the weakest strains of animals by process of elimination. Sure, our tools are getting better, but many have just beeen modified from industrial and scientific purposes. When I was a child we were making real leaps.

I guess the real news is, we now know more of what we don’t know. And that ain’t nothing. Gives me hope. Thanks @coral reeftank for doing the legwork. Maybe we might be able to test out these theories some day.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have read this 1000 times. I have always struggled to grow coralline even when my acros seemed happy. There have only been 2 times when my main display grew coralline like crazy. Both of those times was when I thought I was done in the hobby due to frustration. Basically, I stopped doing water changes, stopped vacuuming detritus, stopped testing for anything other than Dkh, doing the absolute bare minimum. It actually drives me crazy that it won’t grow in my main on anything other than plastics (pumps, overflow, frag rack).

What’s even crazier to me. I have had a 40 plumbed into my 90 now for a year or so. The 40 has a completely different biome. It does grow coralline!

And another side note, I said “F” it recently and started feeding lots of food to see what happened. I started doing this after seeing your plump acros while visiting and all the things you were feeding back in June. Things seemed fine and then cyano showed up and is covering 1/2 my tank now. So I stopped the feeding so much. However, my acros always look best when I get cyano, colors generally get better and poly extension goes crazy.

So do I nuke the cyano with chemi clean? Do I vacuum, do water changes, clean everything to reduce nutrients, constantly try do get rid of it for months with no change (I always try to go natural, but it NEVER works)? Continue to feed and see if the cyano just goes away? I just don’t know anymore.
The way I see it, if you can grow coralline in a barren tank then you are acro ready. It doesn't have to be a lot, but is a sign that the microbiome is stable and can support calcareous growth. It can be frustrating to get different results while using the same water, but it goes to show how important microbial curation is in our systems.

Regarding the cyano, I use to get outbreaks now and then too. Back in the day I use to just dose a ton of aminos, sometimes a bit too much and some cyano would appear even with my massive bioload. Since then, I've tweaked my methods. I no longer dose aminos directly into my system. I've began to use my concoction, I can really explain the premise behind everything when you visit. The results have been mind blowing! I swear I put more and more food in everyday but the water stays incredibly clear, rocks are clear, frag racks are clearing up, algaes are detaching, all the things you want to see are happening!

Aminos are the fundamental building blocks for protein synthesis. That is why your corals look so much better when you dose the tank. It seems that your corals are responding well to the aminos, but unwanted organisms like cyano are responding better! It makes sense since these tiny microbes with extremely fast metabolisms will be able to exploit this sudden boost in resources much faster than our corals. What have been your natural ways? There is a point where cyano can become an insane eyesore and headache. Manual removal, water changes, and good bacteria are your friends.

If you are looking for a more natural way of controlling cyano, I'd recommend starting the use of probiotic bacteria (zeobak, FM Rebiotic, Af Pro Bio S) and zeozym. This will not instantly kill the cyano unlike chemiclean, by doing this we are entering a long, targeted war with our microbiome compared to indiscriminately nuking it. The most natural way is through competition. Continual competition will keep everything stable and at bay. The use of antibiotics or other drugs can possibly do too much damage to the microbiome and you will be left trying to reestablishing your system which is another headache we want to avoid.
The way I Iook at it is like trying to understand the quality/quantity of gamma/x-ray radiation by having tools which can only [unreliability] measure a small part of the visible spectrum. Like you’re eluding to, P/N are not very good indicators of biological stability and worse still, the devices we use to measure them are hardly dependable. P/N are important of course. Its the organics and bacteria interconnectedness we cannot measure here. It’s very frustrating.

I’ve done psychological research at university and the one constant is, if you cannot measure it, it isn’t scientific - it’s more to do with “feelings” at this point. Validity and reliability aren’t even in the conversation yet. I firmly believe we really haven’t progressed much biologically in this hobby in the last decade. I just think we’ve killed off the weakest strains of animals by process of elimination. Sure, our tools are getting better, but many have just beeen modified from industrial and scientific purposes. When I was a child we were making real leaps.

I guess the real news is, we now know more of what we don’t know. And that ain’t nothing. Gives me hope. Thanks @coral reeftank for doing the legwork. Maybe we might be able to test out these theories some day.
Don't worry, I'm here to hopefully make that leap! I've been corresponding with a few different colleagues and experienced SPS reefers and they are stoked to see that my method is working in my tank and in theirs! If you want to talk about legwork, thank @SunnyX. His methods prompted me to do all this research and experimentation on my own systems.
Man I love the coloration of that Pink Lemonade!!
thats a dream piece and I wish I could grab that somewhere.....
It's just beautiful, Ryan runs moonshiners so this is probably the closest to peak coloration in this coral.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try dosing the aminos right before lights out, noticed way less cyano if dosed this way. I figure the reasoning is without any light cyano has a lot harder time using the aminos before everyone else.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I don't have a ton to add to the conversation, but have been carbon dosing and leveraging bacteria for almost 20 years now. I don't often test nutrients, but decided to check them out yesterday and my P04 was sitting at 0.54. This is the first P04 test I have done in over a year. Someone mentioned it here, but I am one of these guys that operates on observations and not data. Its not a perfect system, and I wouldn't recommended the method to novices, but it has worked very well for me over the years.

I currently dose a combination of Zeobak, Zeofood+, NP Bacto Balance, DIY coral snow and run Zeolites in a reactor. My philosophy has always been heavy nutrition in, heavy nutrients out. Doing this, I have been rewarded with excellent coral growth.

-Sonny

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back