Someone please help

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durring my cycle I didn’t do any water change for 5 weeks then when I did first Change it was only 5% I think the water changes prolongs the cycle a good bit. As far as adding stuff I didn’t add anything except the dr.Tim’s bottle, who knows if it worked or if nature just ran it’s course. Also note that I’m new to this hobby and my tank was recently cycled.

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm not going to muddy the water any more with my suggestions. Fish Think Pink gave you an awesome reference for getting your tank started up correctly. Start there. You'll hear this around here more times than you can count....Nothing good happens fast in a salt water aquarium. Take your time and be patient. Good luck!!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a ro/di system was taking ages to make my water so just brought a booster pump its much faster now lol flooded my garage yeah I think I have been to eager. My fish guy said what I added people usually add in a couple of months. Slow down Michael lol
unfamiliar with a booster pump for RODI, but given systems are sized wondering what your TDS (total dissolved solids) might be - if you are at 5 or greater then normally its an indicator to change filters in RO/DI (some will change at 1-3), but in your case try taking off the booster pump and retest to determine if booster pump is pushing to hard

Yes, this is a hobby where only bad things happen fast. Slow down and take your time. You and your tank will be happier and have fewer to no losses. There is learning curve. Hang in there!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!! I admire your enthusiasm!
DFD3D5BF-1BF7-4983-BF06-85DC7F6E0746.gif

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any LR or LS to start this tank? If u still have ammonia and nitrite, you have to let the tank finish cycling. Stop changing water and let your bacteria levels, both nitrosomonas and nitrobacter get established. These are the bacteria responsible for converting ammonia into nitrite and ultimately less harmful nitrate. You really don't want to add livestock till your ammonia and nitrite are zero. Ideally with your nitrate less than 20ppm. Otherwise you're just going to be frustrated and killing animals needlessly. Also you don't need to keep adding prime and stability daily. The two products remove ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in different ways. Seachem Prime actually does not remove any of the three nitrogen compounds at all. Seachem Stability offers a more direct approach. The product contains bacteria that will activated when added to your aquarium.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is LR or LS? I have had fresh water fish most of my life. Due to having 3 massive heart attacks early December somehow surviving it I can't work for the next 12 months so I decided to try salt water. Thinking it would be straightforward but turns out I was way wrong. But so many helpful people on here I have a feeling I will be able to sort it out with all the help on here. I'm very grateful for everyone's response. So thank each and everyone of you who have replied to my post. Im going to organise to take my remaining fish and coral back to the shop until it's 100% sorted. I have spent over 5k on my setup im way to invested to give it up now. Plus I know once it's all working properly I can sit for hours watching my fish rather than playing call of duty. Now I can do both haha

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is LR or LS? I have had fresh water fish most of my life. Due to having 3 massive heart attacks early December somehow surviving it I can't work for the next 12 months so I decided to try salt water. Thinking it would be straightforward but turns out I was way wrong. But so many helpful people on here I have a feeling I will be able to sort it out with all the help on here. I'm very grateful for everyone's response. So thank each and everyone of you who have replied to my post. Im going to organise to take my remaining fish and coral back to the shop until it's 100% sorted. I have spent over 5k on my setup im way to invested to give it up now. Plus I know once it's all working properly I can sit for hours watching my fish rather than playing call of duty. Now I can do both haha
Live rock and live sand

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your daily water changes may be the cause for 0 nitrates. Wondering if there was a time you had measurable nitrates (like, before you added fish other than perhaps a single tough cycling fish - if live fish cycling was your method to start ammonia>nitrite>nitrate)

Wondering how fish acted and looked leading up to and at death. This can be a helpful post so you can help people help you:
Yeah my nitrates were through the roof nearly instantly turned red. Dory started getting spots on her but managed to get most of my fish in a mates tank which helped and saved most of them but I lost a clown tang and a couple of other fish I have no idea what they are lol. I thought it was all good last week added 2 more fish 1 died 4 hours after I put it in. But hard to tell if it was the water or he 2hour drive to get it home.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad YOU pulled thru!! That had to be intense.

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad YOU pulled thru!! That had to be intense.
Intense is an understatement. When people say they see the light when you die is not true i died 4 times and seen no light when the ticker stops its lights out. FYI you definitely know when your having a heart attack it's a pain you have never experienced before lol

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my nitrates were through the roof nearly instantly turned red. Dory started getting spots on her but managed to get most of my fish in a mates tank which helped and saved most of them but I lost a clown tang and a couple of other fish I have no idea what they are lol. I thought it was all good last week added 2 more fish 1 died 4 hours after I put it in. But hard to tell if it was the water or he 2hour drive to get it home.
Its not the drive ... fish get transported multiple plane trips to reach store

suspect water, suspect salinity difference for death that fast - some fish stores will have super low salinity as a way to mitigate (hide) some problems so when you introduce at home, it can take days to bring up to 'normal' salinity - I have a 5gallon PetSmart combo tank setup for QT (quarantine tank) and then if anything found to be out of the ordinary after observation, that tank can be turned into hospital tank (HT) and medicines added without impacting main tank.

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the drive ... fish get transported multiple plane trips to reach store

suspect water, suspect salinity difference for death that fast - some fish stores will have super low salinity as a way to mitigate (hide) some problems so when you introduce at home, it can take days to bring up to 'normal' salinity - I have a 5gallon PetSmart combo tank setup for QT (quarantine tank) and then if anything found to be out of the ordinary after observation, that tank can be turned into hospital tank (HT) and medicines added without impacting main tank.
Yeah im actually going to pick up a smallish red sea setup so I can have a quarantine tank for that exact reason. I don't want to loose fish every week

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that I am using the API test kit. It's showing 0 on nitrate but 0.25 on ammonia and nitrite.
Okay, now, did the ammonia and nitrite ever test higher than 0.25?

For example, during the first week or two, did the ammonia ever read 1.0 or higher?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back