Something killed my sand sifting starfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kayci T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kayci T

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2016
Messages
14
Reaction score
13
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what would kill a sand sifting starfish? It has been in the tank for a while. My husband found parts of the arms. We added a few blue leg hermit crabs and a clown tang.
 
They often starve in tanks less than a year old. Might have just passed and the hermits were doing as they do.
 
I wouldn't put anything past a hermit crab, but most sand stars starve to death in captivity. They have voracious appetites and only survive in very large systems.
 
I had one , I'm very sad to say, in a nano tank because the LFS said it would be fine, well obviously that was wrong and my peppermint shrimp got a hold of it.:(
 
Last edited:
Starvation is one of the most common causes of death for these stars. Sudden changes in salinity and water chemistry can also kill them.
 
We've had it since February. It stinks I love the starfish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new