Something killing my coral

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this weird thing growing on my new frag a few weeks back and since then I've tried dipping and picking them off with tweezers but It clearly didn't work. The coral is basically dead at this point think.

Does anyone have any idea what this weird thing is? Up close it looks like a type of invasive coral that's leeching the life from its host. But I really dont know.
It hasn't spread to the nearby corals yet.. but again, I'm not really sure what it even is.

Any info is much appreciated!

PXL_20220605_185956049.MP.jpg

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another picture with white lights would be helpful. Very hard to tell from just this image.
First, what type of coral is it? Could be vermetid snails, feather dusters, or some other mobile pest?
If it's zoanthids/palythoas it could be Zoa Pox.
Judging from what I can see... I would guess Vermetid snails but that is a guess. As it is hard to tell from this picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dipping wont do much. Try either lugols iodine or 3% hydrogen Peroxide. Looks like either a tubeworm or worm and little dots which is Not pox but may be eggs.

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We talkin the….ahem…peen lookin closed up Zoas thingies or the white dots on them??? What corals did or is it effecting?
Yeah, the funny looking ones.. ha.. I think they were some type of zoa or paly. The whitish dot looking things are what I believe is killing them.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the funny looking ones.. ha.. I think they were some type of zoa or paly. The whitish dot looking things are what I believe is killing them.
Are they moving? I don’t think it’s zoa pox either. Have you tried dipping them? I have Zoas that have had dots on them since I got them. None of my other ones have them even though they are in close proximity. Is anything else going on in the tank?

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another picture with white lights would be helpful. Very hard to tell from just this image.
First, what type of coral is it? Could be vermetid snails, feather dusters, or some other mobile pest?
If it's zoanthids/palythoas it could be Zoa Pox.
Judging from what I can see... I would guess Vermetid snails but that is a guess. As it is hard to tell from this picture.
Sorry about the poor quality photo, i turned the whites up this time though.
I'm not exactly what type of coral they were but they originally looked similar to the healthy-looking ones next to them, Just more purple. I figured they were some type of Paly or Zoa.

As they became worse they began to turn almost inside out, resulting in their odd-looking appearance. It certainly looks like something is growing on them from what I can see.

Attachments

• PXL_20220605_214518998.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220605_214518998.NIGHT.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they moving? I don’t think it’s zoa pox either. Have you tried dipping them? I have Zoas that have had dots on them since I got them. None of my other ones have them even though they are in close proximity. Is anything else going on in the tank?
Everything else in the tank is doing well, just not these. I dipped and tried to remove what I could about two weeks ago but they are back in full force. Even worse now.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly what type of coral they were but they originally looked similar to the healthy-looking ones next to them, Just more purple. I figured they were some type of Paly or Zoa.

As they became worse they began to turn almost inside out, resulting in their odd-looking appearance. It certainly looks like something is growing on them from what I can see.
Are those bubbles or bumps in the strands? Does it blow off at all? Def looks like they are getting choked out by something. I had clove polyps do that and I had to cut em off, but that doesn’t look like cloves or anything like that.

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those bubbles or bumps in the strands? Does it blow off at all? Def looks like they are getting choked out by something. I had clove polyps do that and I had to cut em off, but that doesn’t look like cloves or anything like that.
They are almost like tiny polyps. They are on there good. When I look very closely it almost seems like they have tentacles. I think I found a few more on these zoas too. I thought I removed them all when I last cleaned.. guess not.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    474.4 KB · Views: 66

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

These look like new zoa heads

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are almost like tiny polyps. They are on there good. When I look very closely it almost seems like they have tentacles. I think I found a few more on these zoas too. I thought I removed them all when I last cleaned.. guess not.
Might be a blue clove polyp or hydroid. Do any of them look like they are growing, or are several the same size. If many the same size than probably not a small zoa polyp. Hard to say.

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any motion at all? I’m starting to lean with hydroids based on the pic with the red circled area and tiny polyp description.
When I look very close it seems like they maybe move a bit. But the smaller ones are fairly sturdy. They seem to all connect too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    549.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    444.1 KB · Views: 36

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back