SpectraPure email about Flushing RODI filters

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Below is an email from SpectraPure that was sent upon request from a girl (mittens) on my local forum.

I’ve never flushed any of my RODI filters before installing. After installation, I’ll typically bleed off the TDS creep for the first 90 seconds or two minutes, but have never flushed Carbon blocks or RO Membranes beforehand. I flush the RO Membrane frequently, but never before I install it.

What kind of “preservatives” or other undesirable contaminates (if any) could we introduce into the system if these filters aren’t flushed beforehand?

37C97265-5A68-410D-A944-3D0EBB300840.jpeg

SpecrtaPure email below:

Flushing Filters

Some filters should be flushed when first installed. “Flushing” is no more complicated than running water through the filter without delivering the flush water to other stages in your water purification system.

Hint: An easy way to flush new filters is to temporarily install it as the final stage in your system and allow the flush water to go to a drain.

Sediment Filters No need to flush sediment filters unless otherwise specified on the filter label.

Carbon Blocks: Manufacturers recommend flushing carbon block cartridges for at least 10 minutes.

RO Membranes: Manufacturers recommend flushing at least 5 gallons of water through new dry RO membranes to remove preservatives before using the product water. Don’t run flush water through later stages in your system, run it all down the drain. SpectraSelect Membranes don’t need to be flushed since they already have been flushed.

DI Resin: SEE BELOW vvvv (replacement of filters)

Replacement of filters

Put the sediment and carbon in first. Leave DI housing(s) empty. Run a gallon of water through the empty DI housing(s). Add the MegaMaxCap cartridge. Run it until the TDS IN on the right meter reads 0. Add the Enduro DI, Run it until the TDS OUT on the right meter reads 0. Once complete your system is good to go.

A Sediment/Carbon Filter will usually last approx. 4-6 months, depending on the quality of the tap water and quantity of water being produced. The best way to determine when your Sediment/Carbon Prefilter needs replacement is to monitor the Pressure Gauge. When you have a drop in pressure of 15-20% below your normal gauge pressure, replace the filter. To verify this, run water through the system without the filter in its housing. If the pressure returns to your normal house pressure without the filter, you will know the filter you just took out was plugged up and causing the pressure drop.

Sediment: The best way to know when the sediment is in need of replacement is by using the pressure gauge, when pressure drops your sediment filter is going bad. Replace it when you get a 15% pressure drop! (example; I have 60 PSI, after much use my PSI is now 48 PSI. That’s a 20% pressure drops! Your flow rate will slow down and your carbon will start doing some heavy work by taking our sediment.

Carbon: Use our Chlorine Test Kit (https://spectrapure.com/Total-Chlorine-Test-Kit-w-10-tablets&filter_name=chlroine) to test the chlorine levels going to your membrane. This test will tell you when to change your carbon block ( or you can change it every 6 months) but by using this Chlorine test kit, you can get an estimate of how long your carbons will last with your water. If you’re on a well, you probably don’t have much or any chlorine and can get a longer life of the carbon blocks. If you’re on city water then chlorine levels can be between .5 to 4.0 which will vary if the life of your carbon block.

Use these two methods for pre-filters and you’ll be set. After 1700 gallons of processed water (6800 total gallons through the system), the prefilters could be plugging up.

Membrane: Replace the membrane when rejection rate is less than 96% or if production comes to a halt. Use the calculator below (Membrane Rejection Calc) to figure out your rejection!

**Rule of thumb with the MaxCap and Silicabuster(MegaMaxCap and Enduro) (this will save you $$$ too)**

Once you replace your filters, keep an eye on the LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading and your RIGHT TDS METER - IN reading. This is essentially your POST membrane RO water and the MegaMaxCap DI ppm going into your Enduro DI.

Once your RIGHT TDS METER – IN reading is HALF of your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading, you can replace the MegaMaxCap DI but your Enduro should still be putting out 0ppm water. You can essentially change the MegaMaxCap DI 2-3 times before needing to change your Enduro
Example; your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading is 10. Once your RIGHT TDS METER - IN shows 5, change the MegaMaxCap. You should be able to do this 2-3 times before needing to change the Enduro.

——————————————————

Let me know if you’ve experienced any undesirable issues in your reef from not flushing your RODI filters prior to installation. :)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody knows what these preservatives are and why we need to flush the filters? :oops:

Bump for unidentified preservatives. I wanna know what these are and how important this really is for system health.

@SpectraPureInc

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody knows what these preservatives are and why we need to flush the filters? :oops:

Bump for unidentified preservatives. I wanna know what these are and how important this really is for system health.

@SpectraPureInc

Only thing I can think of is they are some type of coating to prevent the membrane from drying out before being purchased. A dry membrane is no good and water isn't a good way of keeping it moist long term. No idea on the chemical properties of the preservatives or how they are used exactly though. I’ve only ever purchased Spectrapure Spectraselect membranes that have already been flushed and are shipped "Wet" in a sealed bag.

I'm guessing that whatever they are would more than likely be removed by the DI stage/s however it may shorten the lifespan for whatever reason.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is they are some type of coating to prevent the membrane from drying out before being purchased. A dry membrane is no good and water isn't a good way of keeping it moist long term. No idea on the chemical properties of the preservatives or how they are used exactly though. I’ve only ever purchased Spectrapure Spectraselect membranes that have already been flushed and are shipped "Wet" in a sealed bag.

I'm guessing that whatever they are would more than likely be removed by the DI stage/s however it may shorten the lifespan for whatever reason.
Those are kind of my thoughts as well. I've always read zero TDS out and You'd think the DI stages would snag any preservatives, but who knows. I'm not an RODI expert which is why I'm seeking the professionals here.

They say to flush your carbon blocks before they are installed too. I'm assuming you put these in one by one and just do one flush at a time? Maybe put one in the first stage and turn the system on for 10 minutes or so bleeding off the preservatives into the drain.?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say to flush your carbon blocks before they are installed too. I'm assuming you put these in one by one and just do one flush at a time? Maybe put one in the first stage and turn the system on for 10 minutes or so bleeding off the preservatives into the drain.?

For carbon blocks I install them both at the same time and flush together but make sure that they are draining down the drain and not into the RO membrane or DI stages. With carbon you flush to get rid of any carbon dust which can clog up your membrane(s) for no reason.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For carbon blocks I install them both at the same time and flush together but make sure that they are draining down the drain and not into the RO membrane or DI stages. With carbon you flush to get rid of any carbon dust which can clog up your membrane(s) for no reason.
This is the only reason I know of to flush carbon blocks as well...as for the others, I have no idea why or what is in them, but I did flush mine when I installed them per the instructions included with my syatem...MaxCap 90 gpd.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many reefers never initially flush their new filters? I’d bet a lot. I just want to know what can make it through the DI stage that could or would be a issue.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in this thread said “Food Preservatives” that you don’t want in the tank. If it’s in food...shouldn’t it be food grade? :)

I’ll wait patiently until the RODI Sponsors weigh in.

In the meantime...here’s a word from Buckeye Field Supply aka Buckeye Hydro:

Go to 0.36

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back