Sponge? Or Pest? Help needed please!

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!!!
I have what I think is a sponge growing in the tank. Most in shaded areas but I did have a lot growing on, under, and around one of my big leather flower corals. Unfortunately I didn’t get a pic of the thing on the coral but did take a few pics of the stuff on rocks. Help identifying would be much appreciated.

I’ve been told aptasia… it’s not aptasia (spelling). When I removed from the coral it was very sponge like, not hard to remove, and basically disintegrated. Seemed like a sponge. But the pointy tips are throwing me a bit.

45F61826-7D11-40EC-AAB8-A8CB374C007E.jpeg 1BF87C10-A9C3-40FF-9869-DBDF4573E09A.jpeg 1C5B89BF-2CBD-478E-96B9-10DFACA87A44.jpeg FAA9C633-D496-42D9-800C-B79FE1435ABB.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!!!
I have what I think is a sponge growing in the tank. Most in shaded areas but I did have a lot growing on, under, and around one of my big leather flower corals. Unfortunately I didn’t get a pic of the thing on the coral but did take a few pics of the stuff on rocks. Help identifying would be much appreciated.

I’ve been told aptasia… it’s not aptasia (spelling). When I removed from the coral it was very sponge like, not hard to remove, and basically disintegrated. Seemed like a sponge. But the pointy tips are throwing me a bit.
With the irregular structure and pores, it definitely seems like a sponge (an incredibly beautiful individual, might I add). I would leave it alone unless it starts bothering your corals.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the irregular structure and pores, it definitely seems like a sponge (an incredibly beautiful individual, might I add). I would leave it alone unless it starts bothering your corals.
Hey!
Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes, I am not removing for sure. It really looks cool in the tank and does not seem to bother unless directly attached to coral. And I use the word attached loosly. To remove from the leather coral was as if brushing sand away from it. However, when it was on, under and around it made the flower go from 8” down to about 4” in a matter of days. Stealing nutrients I’m guess. But for the rockwork, leaving in place until someone points to a pest.
thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its poriferan sponge and can row crazy. Best removal is to remove rock and place in a bucket of tank water and pull off. Brush off remainder andd return rock to tank.
the reason to do this outside of tank is , sponge Can or may release toxins and you dont want to take that chance

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its poriferan sponge and can row crazy. Best removal is to remove rock and place in a bucket of tank water and pull off. Brush off remainder andd return rock to tank.
the reason to do this outside of tank is , sponge Can or may release toxins and you dont want to take that chance
Right on! Thank you for the info. I did pull out the leather coral with its rock to remove previously…. Glad for the luck of doing it right. Lol.
thanks!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! @vetteguy53081 i have had this orangish sponge in my tank that grows I cracks and in between rocks. I know it’s in the spong family since I see open funnels in it here and there. Are these bad?

Attachments

• 916DB454-B617-4EDB-8E16-19FD1D31E615.jpeg
    916DB454-B617-4EDB-8E16-19FD1D31E615.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 54

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
generally orange sponge other than finger sponge is known for toxicity and will compete with coral for essential trace elements and minerals and being that they favor dark areas can grow under the coral and over take them.
Best way to rid of this is making a kalkwasser paste with tank water into a thick paste and inject into areas of sponge and it will wither away

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back