Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First this has to be one of the most artistically creative builds in the history of builds and I cannot wait to see the finished system but a few questions:

1. Is this tank for you or the sponsors ?
2. Have you managed to track total materials and labor? I am curious what the real costs are for someone with the means to pay for this level of customization
3. Have you given though yet to livestock, aquascape?
4. Thanks for allowing all of us following to dream with you.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Javamahn
First this has to be one of the most artistically creative builds in the history of builds and I cannot wait to see the finished system but a few questions:

Thank you!
1. Is this tank for you or the sponsors ?

This is my tank and is for personal use only.

2. Have you managed to track total materials and labor? I am curious what the real costs are for someone with the means to pay for this level of customization

Yes I am keeping track of it all.. We are in the 10s of thousands and I leave it at that. :)

3. Have you given though yet to livestock, aquascape?

Yes gem tangs.... A school of gem tangs. I have quite a good relationship with Mauritius :). I end up going there a few times a year and know almost all the collectors on the island nation. I also do quite a bit of business over there. (Gem tangs and a few other rare fish are found off the coast of Mauritius. I have gone to and worked with collectors on the island :).)

4. Thanks for allowing all of us following to dream with you.

NP I am happy people enjoy this build.. I have quite a few more builds planed for fun.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some wet pics..... Where are the wet pics???? :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
2 days to read it all through and my mind is blown. Attention to detail is absolutely amazing. LOVE IT.!

Years back I worked at similar environment at VGS in New York (I believe they have since moved to NJ), the possibilities were endless; only limited to one's creativity. You are certainly not only very capable but also extremely creative. KUDOS!

Keep it going!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days to read it all through and my mind is blow. Attention to detail is absolutely amazing. LOVE IT.!

Years back I worked at similar environment at VGS in New York (I believe they have since moved to NJ), the possibilities were endless; only limited to one's creativity. You are certainly not only very capable but also extremely creative. KUDOS!

Keep it going!

Thank you! I am happy you like it.

This is why I opened my business.. It gave me the ability to build stuff every day. It is quite fun but sometimes stressful :p.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elder1945 how are you liking the ProfiLux 4? I am looking into a controller and have read some horror stories about the other one...read orange one.... and their customer service. This really puts me off from even considering it. How is the interface and connecting it to the web?

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elder1945 how are you liking the ProfiLux 4? I am looking into a controller and have read some horror stories about the other one...read orange one.... and their customer service. This really puts me off from even considering it. How is the interface and connecting it to the web?

TBH now that I have a Profilux 4 there is almost no comparison to the other controllers on the market... Yes some might have a "pretty" looking interface but the Profilux is rock solid.. First thing I noticed is that it connected to my wifi and it has yet to disconnect.... The online capability is that same as the Apex... So fusion kinda lost its edge to me.

The doser 2 is a refreshing addition to the setup as well. I never liked the DOS and hated how I had to buy 2 full DOS units to have 4 dosing heads.

I have also noticed there flow monitor is waterproof... This is handy as I don't need more sensitive electronics under my tank.

As of now I am still working on the controller but It would be hard for me to recommend anything else as there is just nothing on the market the matches it.

*Disclosure*

This build and myself are sponsored by GHL USA. As I have no contract or obligation to push there product they are a major sponsor on this build. I try to keep a open mind as much as possible when reviewing or asked about a product. This can be taken however you feel just wanted to be open.

Last edited:

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for reminding me about the ghl. I have been so set on the apex I hadnt looked into anything else. After looking at this profilux4 im impressed. Trying to do some comparing. And reading your experiences has been awesome. Again TY, I have a theard to try to get more feed back im still on the fence since i do run a classic (gold) apex.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have more on the GHL Controller soon The tank is almost full. I have ordered in 40 lbs of caribsea liferock for my base and some odds and ends and i am almost ready!

I will be putting a order in for a box or 2 of zoanthids. 20-30 colonies to use as my live rock. I will see how this works. I will try to document the whole process of ordering and early morning airport trip to opening and so on.

Should be a fun experiment :p

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! I know the feeling! I have 4 Apex EB832 Power Bars on my system plus an old EB4 for my mixing station! I have found metal pipe straps work really well for running most wires. It secures them but it is easy to pull them out if necessary. Also easy to spray paint to match. Zip ties and screw down anchors for everything else. I also LOVE these power strips from Lowes. They are great, easy to secure, and the outlets are nice and spread out. If you have the room for them.

7b3d6ca577f8dabebd8fe175143e5d3e.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build! I know the feeling! I have 4 Apex EB832 Power Bars on my system plus an old EB4 for my mixing station! I have found metal pipe straps work really well for running most wires. It secures them but it is easy to pull them out if necessary. Also easy to spray paint to match. Zip ties and screw down anchors for everything else. I also LOVE these power strips from Lowes. They are great, easy to secure, and the outlets are nice and spread out. If you have the room for them.
I own a few of them.. The issue with this tank is room.. I have to fit it all under the stand and have the setup look "clean"

Looks great! I couldnt tell if the internal logo is lit up or not? Always a great day when you can finally get it started. Congrats!

Yes it is... The whole acrylic bottom idea is on the chopping block as we speak. I have 120 lbs of life rock on the way and will be adding black sand.... I am still thinking about it though..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back