Spontaneous Stress in QT

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the final stages of my QT for my Yellow Tang and Lyretail Anthias. They have been readily eating medicated food (GC+Focus+Mysis and Brine Shrimp Mix+Garlic) with ample appetites. I keep a pvc pipe with nori attached to it since my Tang isn't particularly good at finding nori on a veggie clip and it just rots in my tank :/ Today I went to replenish the nori and as I moved the pipe, my Lyretail went absolutely bonkers and started swimming rapidly along the tank. Okay, big mistake by me I guess. I put the nori on, put his pvc back and kept an eye out from the other side of the room. He was fine.

I was making fresh medicated food for their second daily feeding and shook the garlic container in front of the tank. Apparently mistake number two? My tang started swimming rapidly along the tank as though I've scared him. I added the garlic and got the hell out of there for 10 min to let them calm down. Gave them their medicated food; they ate like pigs.

A few hours later I went to do a 10% water change since it's been a week (and I feed these guys 3x per day) - matched salinity (1.021) and temp of my new water to the QT. I siphoned out the water - Tang wasn't thrilled but none of my fish have ever been happy about water changes. I tried to prevent spooking him again by using a small fish container to slowly add new water into the QT in an un-disruptive way. I just sat and watched them for a few moments afterwards to keep an eye out. The tang began swimming rapidly along the tank. He then started flashing on the PVC. Anthias hid in the PVC the whole time but that's where he chills whenever people come into the room at first.

Tang has no spots on him. Has been pooping normally and eating readily throughout the day - medicated food has been ongoing for about 5 days. I feed 3x per day, 1-2 medicated feedings, the balance of the three is unmedicated food. I run an aerator 24/7 in the tank. Anthias has been intermittently going on rapid swimming sprees, which is concerning.

I am assuming that this is just stress? I went upstairs and left them completely alone for a few hours with no disruptions. I gave them one final medicated feeding which they ate readily. The lousy video attached to this post is after their final feeding. I hid on the basement stairs so I wouldn't scare them again.

Help! @Humblefish have I made any mistakes in the feeding protocol?! I'm so worried...

Attachments

• VID_20200530_200438.mp4
    46.9 MB

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I’m going to make you feel better. I have followed humblefish’s protocol for every fish in my DT. Pb tang, orange shoulder, kole, purple tang, multicolor angel, pair of maroon clowns and six line wrasse. Each time it was like skating on thin ice. Fish never were quit right. None looked especially well. Some did weird things. But when they got to my DT they have all done exceptionally well. All are fat and healthy and growing and would eat dog food if I threw it in there. In my view, and I’m no expert, what you are experiencing is just part of QT. Just get them through it. Good luck!

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I’m going to make you feel better. I have followed humblefish’s protocol for every fish in my DT. Pb tang, orange shoulder, kole, purple tang, multicolor angel, pair of maroon clowns and six line wrasse. Each time it was like skating on thin ice. Fish never were quit right. None looked especially well. Some did weird things. But when they got to my DT they have all done exceptionally well. All are fat and healthy and growing and would eat dog food if I threw it in there. In my view, and I’m no expert, what you are experiencing is just part of QT. Just get them through it. Good luck!

Honestly, thank you. It really does make me feel better. I lost my last tang to a similar plight after a water change stressor in QT about 10 days into Copper Treatment. I thought there was something wrong with my water, so I bought a brand new 20g Brute Container for mixing, and rinsed all my salt water equipment in case there was contamination or something. These guys looked spectacular when I bought them, so after seeing their behavior today I was so upset and frustrated I had a breakdown. I truly hope what you're saying is right and it's just QT stress; I can't bare the thought of waking up tomorrow to check on them and seeing them gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible false alarm - just went downstairs to check on them and they are alive. Anthias seems to still be doing a lot more swimming than in used to seeing but the Tang is acting completely normal :)

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are readily eating but still seem anxious when I'm nearby. I would like to spend time observing them to watch for illness but keeping the lights off and me only approaching the tank at feeding time seems like the best course of action for now. I'm adding Emerald Entree to the Tang's diet since putting my hands in the tank to add Nori would probably be the end of him right now. My nerves are a wreck.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use a light, just ambient room light. If you use a light put it on a timer. Just a thought. I fed Mysis and nori in QT. Good luck. I feel your pain, but it’s worth it.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here is the tank and fish!

OMG Your tank is my goals! My 120 is ready to go - just waiting on its inhabitants!

I only watched my fish for a brief period of time in QT after serving medicated food and noticed that my Tang did go back to a bit of flashing - nothing serious though. I got right out of the room during normal feedings to reduce stress. I wonder if the Tang is not a fan of GC. Makes me worried about copper...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back