Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what R2R thinks on the subject of acropora and other sps acclimation time from merchant to your tank, especially when shipping is involved. As well as placement / light acclimation. Are you a place and pray kind of reefer or a slide up the tank to the light reefer.

I see alotnof conflicting arguments between even moving an acro or sps once you put it in your tank. Some have suggested even starting in the sand bed and moving up.

Thoughts?

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me after dipping it depends on the piece and what light it was kept under before, if I know that the light is similar to mine I feel comfortable with just placing it but if it’s been in the dark for a bit I might light acclimate it.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually temp acclimate, drip for an hour or so, dip, then put them on the frag rack for a week or two. (Rack is in about 250 par) After that, it's into the scape they go.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of high end acros that I have received from online vendors and shipments. If they're reputable with healthy corals and are experienced with shipping, 9 times out of 10 the package will arrive in a good temperature range (74-80) and the coral will not have lost any colors.

To be honest, either way I just do a quick dip and put them directly in the tank in their final spot. I have had close to 0 issues with this. And the only time I can think of when I had issues is when the coral arrived looking bad in the first place.

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to place frags on the sandbed for 24 hours and then place them in or near where I think they will do best/want them. That is if I know it came from a tank with similar or higher lighting. If lower light I follow the same process but run my lights on a 7-day acclimation schedule from 25% of normal settings up to normal. Generally don't buy low light corals/ I don't run crazy high light so it's probably not necessary tbh. Peace of mind is.
I've definitely have lost my fair share of coral but none that I recall that I could say was due to acclimation. Usually months down the road. Been a while though since I've lost something.

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temperature match if they were shipped and then just dump them in after dipping. I start it where I want to place it, if it starts to look unhappy I put it lower and begin an acclimation process.

I've never had to do this for coral that I have shipped from places like WWC but I frequently have to do it if I buy from local reefers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back