OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more shot of trachy and scoly. Pictures don't do do the trachy justice.

_DSC1842.jpg

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced all my t5 bulbs today and changed from 2 x Purple+ and 2 x Actinic to...
2 x Coral Plus and 2 x Blue +

Got the PAR meter out. Holy dang..big difference.

What was 350 PAR at top tier was 540 PAR.

So, I needed to tune my Kessils down till I got back to current 350 range.

Anyway...PAR meter, just buy it if you are doing SPS. I have the one that just USBs to your laptop.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you posting in the unpopular opinion thread and wanted to see your build thread based on what you said. Update this thing! Lol I have a 200xl and always look for ideas. I found yours to be interesting

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After The Crash

So the title says it all. The start of Covid, headed to Canada over XMAS for a month including a strict 14 day quarantine. I had the tank covered I thought with a ton of automation, but we had a slip up. In Neptune APEX it is far too easy to copy a configuration and apply somewhere else. Somehow while adjusting some parameters I copied by mistake the ATO progam to the Triton program. Instead of dosing like 12ml of Triton, I dosed 1000ml instead in one night. So I didn't even realize this for a few days, but oh wow it was not good and it was very hard to deal with remote. Anyway....but the end of it, I lost most corals. Luckily the fish were entirely fine and some corals actually made it and are in the tank today. I took the slow road out of this with the tank and didn't add anything for months. The good thing is that now the tank has never been better. The inverts and fish and the diversity survived and came out strong on the other end. Just starting to add back the corals and the tank has never been better. So lesson is to not give up even after a crash. Stick with it.

IMG_0673.jpeg

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking strongly of a major upgrade!! Been at this reefing long enough that I know I want to go the next step. I have three candidates.

Peninsula Tanks considering and not in order.

Red Sea Peninsula 650
Waterbox Peninsula 6025
CADE Peninsula 1500

Before going there I will be building a mixing station and fish room so I will start a thread soon.

Open to advise and comments. I'm a bit intimidated by how much more work and money a large tank may be.

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After The Crash

So the title says it all. The start of Covid, headed to Canada over XMAS for a month including a strict 14 day quarantine. I had the tank covered I thought with a ton of automation, but we had a slip up. In Neptune APEX it is far too easy to copy a configuration and apply somewhere else. Somehow while adjusting some parameters I copied by mistake the ATO progam to the Triton program. Instead of dosing like 12ml of Triton, I dosed 1000ml instead in one night. So I didn't even realize this for a few days, but oh wow it was not good and it was very hard to deal with remote. Anyway....but the end of it, I lost most corals. Luckily the fish were entirely fine and some corals actually made it and are in the tank today. I took the slow road out of this with the tank and didn't add anything for months. The good thing is that now the tank has never been better. The inverts and fish and the diversity survived and came out strong on the other end. Just starting to add back the corals and the tank has never been better. So lesson is to not give up even after a crash. Stick with it.

IMG_0673.jpeg
I am going to have very similar combination (ATI Sunpower 8*T5 in addition to 3 Kessil A360x).
Are you satisfied with the shimmering, coral growth and color ?

My goal is SPS dominant reef.

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have very similar combination (ATI Sunpower 8*T5 in addition to 3 Kessil A360x).
Are you satisfied with the shimmering, coral growth and color ?

My goal is SPS dominant reef.
What size tank for the above ^^^? The light quality for viewing is fantastic with the A360x. As far as PAR, my setup is overkill. I had to raise my T5s and turn down the Kessils as my few LPS were not happy. Now I have a decent balance where the SPS are growing well and the LPS can live as well. But it was more about coverage than PAR.

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank for the above ^^^? The light quality for viewing is fantastic with the A360x. As far as PAR, my setup is overkill. I had to raise my T5s and turn down the Kessils as my few LPS were not happy. Now I have a decent balance where the SPS are growing well and the LPS can live as well. But it was more about coverage than PAR.
My tank size is: 130x60x67cm

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the Kessil light power (in % on its controller) when you started that combination?
What is your maximum Kessil light power now, and how you gradually increased it?

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the Kessil light power (in % on its controller) when you started that combination?
What is your maximum Kessil light power now, and how you gradually increased it?
Right now I max at 50% color 71% intensity. You can use the acclimation feature to gradually increase.

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I please ask what was the reason you preferred the Kessil + T5 combination, rather than having Kessil only?

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I please ask what was the reason you preferred the Kessil + T5 combination, rather than having Kessil only?
Honestly this was my first tank and I was trying all the stuff. In hindsight, I would just go with LEDs as it's simpler. My new build is Orphek Atlantik iCons only.

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I max at 50% color 71% intensity. You can use the acclimation feature to gradually increase.
Any idea, please, what is your PAR level (will be enough for me to understand the level on water surface and the level on the bottom of the tank) using the T5/Kessil combination?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back