33791E82-1E0C-48DF-B208-31C3D3C015C5.jpeg
Too many corals with “rainbow” in the name

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple photos of my newest three since I turned on the lights to get a photo of my two Stylo frags.
Acropora tenuis - Coloured down Rainbow
F9BA07D4-D677-4284-95F1-B8ABAE6EB0C0.jpeg

Acropora turaki
E7614F7C-51E9-4874-8568-ACDBCB502695.jpeg

Unknown Acropora, any guesses at this size?
4D05DDA4-976B-4988-B984-16D859C483ED.jpeg

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen so many acros on here with different silly names that are all the exact same species. they Just called it something different as the coral are different colour morphs due to lighting Or tank conditions etc…
I’d like to see all the folks calling their coral a “ducking loony turtle whack rainbow monkey” make an attempt at calling it by its real name. It’s confusing to try and keep up with fake names of things that already have properly identifiable names. It’s so funny to see so many people so clueless about something that they are so “passionate“ or “knowledgeable“ about.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen so many acros on here with different silly names that are all the exact same species. they Just called it something different as the coral are different colour morphs due to lighting Or tank conditions etc…
I’d like to see all the folks calling their coral a “ducking loony turtle whack rainbow monkey” make an attempt at calling it by its real name. It’s confusing to try and keep up with fake names of things that already have properly identifiable names. It’s so funny to see so many people so clueless about something that they are so “passionate“ or “knowledgeable“ about.

I actually like all the different silly names!

a. tenuis, a. speciosa, a. millepora, a. granulosa doesn't have quite the high-end "collector" feel to it...if that makes any sense.

I don't doubt there are color morphs of the same acros, however, there are plenty of acros where if I see a picture (or in person) of acros in many, many different tanks from different hobbyists and vendors and I can identify it by the "silly name." With that said, I think the colors don't morph as much when it is truly aquacultured.

I don't like the slapping names on all the freshly maricultured pieces, which goes on nowadays.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The names can get really silly, but I like them for the respect of getting the exact coral I want. If someone says "Walt Disney", we know the exact coral, but if someone says "green polyped purple tenuis" that could mean any number of different corals.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like all the different silly names!

a. tenuis, a. speciosa, a. millepora, a. granulosa doesn't have quite the high-end "collector" feel to it...if that makes any sense.

I don't doubt there are color morphs of the same acros, however, there are plenty of acros where if I see a picture (or in person) of acros in many, many different tanks from different hobbyists and vendors and I can identify it by the "silly name." With that said, I think the colors don't morph as much when it is truly aquacultured.

I don't like the slapping names on all the freshly maricultured pieces, which goes on nowadays.
I’m not arguing with you, in fact I would agree with using names to distinguish between colour morphs. But the idea that a name like Walt Disney bring much “high-end collector feel” Is questionable At best. Specifically when the same corals have different names and therefore have different value or price. Or when different corals have the same name but are in no way in the same species. People just slap pathetic names on coral to charge more and to get that “high end collector feel” which is simply annoying in itself as it assumes you require social status Validation when buying coral.
I don’t pay for the name, I buy corals based on their species, definitely not based on whether some other person thinks it’s a cool prestigious piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not arguing with you, in fact I would agree with using names to distinguish between colour morphs. But the idea that a name like Walt Disney bring much “high-end collector feel” Is questionable At best. Specifically when the same corals have different names and therefore have different value or price. Or when different corals have the same name but are in no way in the same species. People just slap pathetic names on coral to charge more and to get that “high end collector feel” which is simply annoying in itself as it assumes you require social status Validation when buying coral.
I don’t pay for the name, I buy corals based on their species, definitely not based on whether some other person thinks it’s a cool prestigious piece.
The “highend collector feel” must have the lineage behind the name. Otherwise then it is only a silly name. The lineage is everything, which has a lot to do with aquacultured vs wild / maricultured.

I hate when vendors slap the same name on a new piece which looks similar to an aquacultured piece that another vendor already named.

There are plenty of cheap acros out there that you can buy by just the scientific name.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?... lol

I get your point, but it is what it is. Being pretentious about using Latin names vs the silly names isn't going to make me enjoy it more/less and certainly doesn't define how "passionate" someone is.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “highend collector feel” must have the lineage behind the name. Otherwise then it is only a silly name. The lineage is everything, which has a lot to do with aquacultured vs wild / maricultured.

I hate when vendors slap the same name on a new piece which looks similar to an aquacultured piece that another vendor already named.

There are plenty of cheap acros out there that you can buy by just the scientific name.
Good point. Maricultured vs wild, with regards to the name game.
that said, it is still ridiculous to pay for a name when for example, a mariculture coral is low price and then the exact same person frags the exact coral maricultureD coral and quadruple the price because it has a given a name. I see this **** all the time everywhere, but that is just people taking advantage of others stupidity right? sort of like when people buy and pay more for corals based on the name.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Maricultured vs wild, with regards to the name game.
that said, it is still ridiculous to pay for a name when for example, a mariculture coral is low price and then the exact same person frags the exact coral maricultureD coral and quadruple the price because it has a given a name. I see this **** all the time everywhere, but that is just people taking advantage of others stupidity right? sort of like when people buy and pay more for corals based on the name.
I agree with that about the mariculture / wild.
But at the same time I have no problem with paying high dollar for aquacultured acros with lineage like:
TGC Acrolandia
RRU Angry Bird
RRC Jawdropper
JF Homewrecker

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back