Sps flow/color/feeding?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reefs been going on for a few years but just started adding sps a couple of months ago so still learning and would appreciate any feedback on the below

1) flow - i know most guides say sps love high flow but is this too much? I have a nero 5 at random flow setting between 10% to 40% the acros on the right is pretty much point blank. The monty caps, green stylo, and purple digitata on the left have much better polyp extension and faster growth. The acros are growing (i see the base already encrusted) but I can hardly see any polyp extension. From the pics (side view and top view) you see that the acros are pretty much directly in front of the nero. Is it too much?should I point it away and have the acros get the "return flow" instead?

2) been struggling to keep the acros color. The top one should be dark green but is turning brown. The light green one is slowly fading too. The lower one between the sunburst monti and pink chalice is supposed to be a purple candlelight - its keeping the purple but losing the green tips. I'd think its bc too much nutrient due to zoox overproduction? or not enough light in the right spectrum causing less color pigment production? But then im also seeing these threads saying waters too clean causing acro from losing color. I had reefroid/britewell amino but stopped a month ago trying to get branching hydroids under control but I'm thinking maybe I need to start feeding again.

The sps colors on the left side are doing fine and sharp, so only the acros are strugging

Also dosing redsea color abcd at 50% suggested dose based on calc consumption.

Water params stable at no3 - 12ppm, po4 - 0.02. Calc-475, alk - 11, ph 8.3, mag 1350. With 2 part autodoser, skimmer and co2 scrubber.
20210112_172712.jpg
20210112_172857.jpg

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally brown sps is a high nutrient or not enough light issue. You don’t want to hit frags with direct flow that close to a power head, instead do your best to get high random flow. You should raise that nero closer to the surface if its your only powerhead.

I would bet its more of a light and flow issue. 12ppm of nitrate and .02 of phosphate isn’t going to brown acros alone ime.

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both, I moved the nero up and pointed to the far opposite corner so now everything is pretty much indirect. Still a ton of flow at 40% its 1500 GPH on my 29G

For lighting it did remind me of a big difference - I have 2 AIs but the left one is HD but right one is first gen. I just looked up the difference - hd has 3 Royal Blue led but first gen has 2 Dark Blue led. Right now both are maxed at 100% for the UV, Violet, and Blue channels. I did just install a Reefbrite lumi actinic pro over the weekend and moved the lights 2 inches closer so its in acclimation mode that will ramp up over the next 3 weeks. So will have more pars going forward.

Sounds like I don't need to feed more - I think I'm finally getting an upper hand on the hydroids.

Will compare and see progress in a month

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back