SPS issues

Dalton Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been having issues with keeping SPS in my tank. It seems to bleach and die very quickly every time I give it a try. I have many things doing extremely well in the tank such as bubble coral, JF JOL, torch, various nems, duncans, GSP (I know this stuff would practically grow in the toilet though). I have tried different light levels, different flow levels but it never fails that it bleaches and dies within a matter of days. Some die from the bottom up and some vis versa. I have been told this is a sign of to much or to little light but the death has occurred in both direction in both light strengths. I cant determine a pattern to figure out where the issue is. Thank you all so much for your help!

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple questions to try and help.
How old is the tank?
Can you share Cal, alk, mag, no3, and po4 and SG test results
How many fish?
How many gallons is the tank?
What lighting are you using?
What is your GPH turnover in the tank?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While light can definitely be a factor, water chemistry and improper acclimation can play a big part as well. Let us know what your water parameters are and we'll be happy to help :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, I have been having issues with keeping SPS in my tank. It seems to bleach and die very quickly every time I give it a try. I have many things doing extremely well in the tank such as bubble coral, JF JOL, torch, various nems, duncans, GSP (I know this stuff would practically grow in the toilet though). I have tried different light levels, different flow levels but it never fails that it bleaches and dies within a matter of days. Some die from the bottom up and some vis versa. I have been told this is a sign of to much or to little light but the death has occurred in both direction in both light strengths. I cant determine a pattern to figure out where the issue is. Thank you all so much for your help!

Just curious, Did you know if the frags you are getting are cut from wild colonies at all? this can a huge factor in initial survivability. The fact that you have other coral doing well is really good sign and an indicator to me that the actual coral may be to blame more so than the tank at this point.

OP
OP
Dalton Hunter

Dalton Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions to try and help.
How old is the tank?
Can you share Cal, alk, mag, no3, and po4 and SG test results
How many fish?
How many gallons is the tank?
What lighting are you using?
What is your GPH turnover in the tank?

The tank is 1 year old as of July with the previous owner having the tank for 1 year prior to me buying the system so about 2 years combined.
I will perform new water test when I get home tonight from class
I have a blue damsel, fox face, moon wrase, baby perc, spotted goby, bullseye jawfish,
100 gallon display and 20 gallon sump with fuge
I am using current USA LED light bar with 2 actenic T5 and to 10,000 T5 bulbs
GPH I will have to double check on when I get home...

While light can definitely be a factor, water chemistry and improper acclimation can play a big part as well. Let us know what your water parameters are and we'll be happy to help :)

See above reply
As far as acclimation I drip acclimate over a period of three 5 gallon bucket fills (approx 2-3 hours)

Just curious, Did you know if the frags you are getting are cut from wild colonies at all? this can a huge factor in initial survivability. The fact that you have other coral doing well is really good sign and an indicator to me that the actual coral may be to blame more so than the tank at this point.

Im not sure how the frags where aquaired but I have bought them from multiple different sellers over the past all with the same results.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light and flow are important considerations but water chemistry and stability are very important as well. Give us some of your numbers and husbandry practices so we can help you become an successful stick head.:)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from it being the coral themselves, alk/ph/temp swings, not enough flow, and light issues are some of the most common causes.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what is your routine with water changes in addition to the current water chemistry.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back