SPS newbie question

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So little backstory. Recently got into the sps game in one of my tanks. 40 gallon AIO. I've had lps in it for over a year and everything thrives. About a month ago I got my first tester SPS, stylo, and it's done great, I think. Polyps extended, evidence of growth. And last weekend I won $100 coral credit from my lfs and picked up more Sps frags. A frogskin acro, birdsnest, monti cap and Cali tort.

So here's my question. Everything in my tank has polyp extension except my cali tort. It's been in the tank for 4 days. When should I start to worry?
1557373973065~2.jpeg

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry at all. Polyp extension doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It looks good and healthy in your pic. I would just leave it alone and enjoy looking at it! Nice score BTW:)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might test my parameters, but I wouldn't worry. I might increase my flow rate, or do a water change if the parameters were off, but I wouldn't worry. Lots of people die worrying, but they didn't need to worry along the way. They would have died anyway sooner or later. Corals are the same, except that they don't live any longer because you worry about them.

Look at the corals that are doing good and extending. They are comfortable in the tank. Maybe the tort is slow to get acclimated to the good system. It will let you know soon enough. They grow slowly, so don't expect it to extend polyps because you are concerned. Check the parameters, keep the rest of the tank happy and do what you can to make the tank thrive. The tort will do it's thing, don't worry.

I second the "nice score"! Why worry about corals you won at a lfs! That is fantastic.

Vanquishxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything always has great PE. Plus you just got it. Give it time you might see it growing.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.3%
Back