SPS newbie question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Applegate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2018
Messages
63
Reaction score
24
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So little backstory. Recently got into the sps game in one of my tanks. 40 gallon AIO. I've had lps in it for over a year and everything thrives. About a month ago I got my first tester SPS, stylo, and it's done great, I think. Polyps extended, evidence of growth. And last weekend I won $100 coral credit from my lfs and picked up more Sps frags. A frogskin acro, birdsnest, monti cap and Cali tort.

So here's my question. Everything in my tank has polyp extension except my cali tort. It's been in the tank for 4 days. When should I start to worry?
1557373973065~2.jpeg
 
I wouldn’t worry at all. Polyp extension doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It looks good and healthy in your pic. I would just leave it alone and enjoy looking at it! Nice score BTW:)
 
I might test my parameters, but I wouldn't worry. I might increase my flow rate, or do a water change if the parameters were off, but I wouldn't worry. Lots of people die worrying, but they didn't need to worry along the way. They would have died anyway sooner or later. Corals are the same, except that they don't live any longer because you worry about them.

Look at the corals that are doing good and extending. They are comfortable in the tank. Maybe the tort is slow to get acclimated to the good system. It will let you know soon enough. They grow slowly, so don't expect it to extend polyps because you are concerned. Check the parameters, keep the rest of the tank happy and do what you can to make the tank thrive. The tort will do it's thing, don't worry.

I second the "nice score"! Why worry about corals you won at a lfs! That is fantastic.
 
Not everything always has great PE. Plus you just got it. Give it time you might see it growing.
 
Cool thank you guys for the input!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new