OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PE...Maybe I need one of these bombs?
I’ve always had good PE. I accredit it to using mild flow but it could be from the elevated nutrients, +1350 mag, +450 cal, the spectrum, I don’t run my skimmer when the lights are on, etc. Who knows really.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had good PE. I accredit it to using mild flow but it could be from the elevated nutrients, +1350 mag, +450 cal, the spectrum, I don’t run my skimmer when the lights are on, etc. Who knows really.

What’s your turn over? I know it’s relative, but maybe I’m going nuts with mine? My PE is there, but nowhere like yours.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your turn over? I know it’s relative, but maybe I’m going nuts with mine? My PE is there, but nowhere like yours.
I’m not sure, but it’s not much. It’s a 50 gallon cube with 2 mp40s mounted on the back wall facing the front and each set at a speed of 20% on a 10 second gyre pulse. I like almost zero flow every 8-10 seconds.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure, but it’s not much. It’s a 50 gallon cube with 2 mp40s mounted on the back wall facing the front and each set at a speed of 20% on a 10 second gyre pulse. I like almost zero flow every 8-10 seconds.

I’m rocking 100 times turn over, reef crest mode 100%. I better turn them down a bit and see :)

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well. I think a lot ppl use way more flow than is needed, often times to the point that it stresses the sps. My fastest growing acros are in areas with almost no flow.

It’s definitely worth some experimenting. I’ll turn my flow down a bit, change up the pattern as well.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s now safe to say I’m in the clear
0B38C623-1634-43C9-99F7-4064BD59AB5C.jpeg
1AD406D6-BF0B-4386-9F3F-E1075E311C6C.jpeg
0D81D1BE-DA6C-4F86-8831-752BFC80CCC1.jpeg
4BB95CED-B9B0-4E18-BC0C-43B3E82FA6E5.jpeg
E22FDBDC-7D3E-4C0B-ABA5-8E88FFA97FB0.jpeg
6246E261-FD95-4DFF-ACB9-0597594B10F4.jpeg
A7878041-E3AA-4E7F-A14C-CE6134E76F83.jpeg
839E7505-7BE9-48E5-BA6A-0D7F1DBB278E.jpeg
F399DB86-DD53-411E-B8CF-43F2FB522A1A.jpeg
6675F2FF-272F-4156-9D1E-D3B397F9BFC4.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well. I think a lot ppl use way more flow than is needed, often times to the point that it stresses the sps. My fastest growing acros are in areas with almost no flow.

Beautiful corals you have there and glad you didn't suffer too bad from the malfunction.

I have tossed around this idea as well about increased flow /too much flow can stress corals out and stunt growth a bit, as I to have witnessed frags of the same species grow faster in lower flow environments, I dont believe this is due to stress, because if you have snorkeled or dove on a reef crest, flow and mass water movement is massive compared to home aquariums

I think it has more to do with the fact that Acropora esp will grow much more dense skeletons in higher flow environments, which means more calcification needs to take place to see visible growth

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful corals you have there and glad you didn't suffer too bad from the malfunction.

I have tossed around this idea as well about increased flow /too much flow can stress corals out and stunt growth a bit, as I to have witnessed frags of the same species grow faster in lower flow environments, I dont believe this is due to stress, because if you have snorkeled or dove on a reef crest, flow and mass water movement is massive compared to home aquariums

I think it has more to do with the fact that Acropora esp will grow much more dense skeletons in higher flow environments, which means more calcification needs to take place to see visible growth
I definitely get more vertical growth/less surface encrusting in lower flow versus the higher flow areas. When I say stress I’m taking about reefers that go way over board, bc that’s what they’ve been told acros NEED, and I just find this to be not true. I’m not saying no flow either, but I think the “as much flow as possible” advice is bad advice.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely get more vertical growth/less surface encrusting in lower flow versus the higher flow areas. When I say stress I’m taking about reefers that go way over board, bc that’s what they’ve been told acros NEED, and I just find this to be not true. I’m not saying no flow either, but I think the “as much flow as possible” advice is bad advice.

I agree with all points you have brought up, there is a big difference between "tons of flow" and "the right kind of flow", the "more the better" is definitely not sound advice.
Getting the correct type and amount of flow is something I feel many new to SPS easily mess up and will think they need to absolutely blast their first sps frag with direct laminar flow and subsequently fail.
The right kind of flow in a tank is much easier these days with the broad range of wave pumps available because back in the day unless you dropped 500 on a Tunze, other wave pumps didn't exist, and getting the right kind of flow for SPS was a near a type of artform.

I will agree in some cases of slower growth could very well be a stress response due to too much flow, but I also theorize flow in relation to skeleton density development can play a major part/variable as well when it comes to percieved visible growth.

Who knows for sure? all we can do is theorize!

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I knocked my flow rate down to 60% of what it was and my PE has definitely improved. I may knock it down even lower just to see the result.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back