Sps Nightmare

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. But at least the manufacturer has sent me shipping label to return it.
have you been using the kamoer doser for a while or did you just set it up recently? i actually have a pair of them arriving today and now im terrified.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you been using the kamoer doser for a while or did you just set it up recently? i actually have a pair of them arriving today and now im terrified.
Purchased and have been using them since June with absolutely no issues before this. But this issue was a doozy

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to brs on their 160 and I believe everything turned out to be fine. They have a video on it and what they did to fix the issue if you want to take a look.

Thank you sir. Slightly different because my doser added all the alk rapidly and I believe I reached 40 dKh. My Hanna checker was flashing 20, so I know it was higher than that.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ALMOST bought a kamoer this past weekend... they had it for $45 at RAP! I was regretting that I forgot to grab one then I read this... Good thing my GHL hasn't failed. but going to start looking into CaRX for sure!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will all fail eventually. If you are lucky, they fail off and don't do as much damage since you have days to notice. The key is to have a failure plan that does not crash the tank - why I am on CaRx... even if something went crazy, it is not made to really move numbers, but rather just maintain them.

Anyway... glad that you got it figured out super quick.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why a few people I know dose the daily dose into a cup and put it in all at once every night. That way there are no mishaps. I won’t trust a dosed anymore either. Don’t care if it’s 100 or 1000$ I won’t use one.
If you are going to have any deaths it will most likely happen after a few days anyways so keep your eyes peeled. Good luck! I hope the tenuis farm survives without any issues from here on!

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will all fail eventually. If you are lucky, they fail off and don't do as much damage since you have days to notice. The key is to have a failure plan that does not crash the tank - why I am on CaRx... even if something went crazy, it is not made to really move numbers, but rather just maintain them.

Anyway... glad that you got it figured out super quick.
You’re absolutely correct but I wouldn’t expect this type of failure after only 8 weeks.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why a few people I know dose the daily dose into a cup and put it in all at once every night. That way there are no mishaps. I won’t trust a dosed anymore either. Don’t care if it’s 100 or 1000$ I won’t use one.
If you are going to have any deaths it will most likely happen after a few days anyways so keep your eyes peeled. Good luck! I hope the tenuis farm survives without any issues from here on!
So far I’ve only lost a large sc op frag. The sps I left in the tank, that were in a dkh around 40 for at least 12 hours, look like nothing ever happened.

Here’s some better pics of the more valuable ones
B812F2C8-3F7B-42AB-91A6-C9C810E454A0.jpeg
2FCB5C7C-D9E7-48B0-8BA0-CD2FEC98AAE1.jpeg
CDC13774-6261-4B7B-9248-240D6F1A0C89.jpeg
8B2F1FA1-2DC9-4C9F-9587-2485CEFA5C00.jpeg
804A808A-6C3F-4482-8CC6-2D0715002652.jpeg
3BF2C81F-04DB-4CEA-83AF-080F3C79B300.jpeg
FA7A54AE-E1DA-4EEF-965A-A61DB86C944C.jpeg
E3894637-AF48-41BB-9DAE-C9077BE8FC54.jpeg

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing is what helped is that it happen when the lights was off. Hope all your corals survive.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is insane because I was very close to picking up Kamoer's new single head doser for Acropower only and use my current Neptune DOS for 2 part. Yikes, looks like I will steer clear of them.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is insane because I was very close to picking up Kamoer's new single head doser for Acropower only and use my current Neptune DOS for 2 part. Yikes, looks like I will steer clear of them.

I’m going to guess they sell thousands of these and 1 failure isn’t a reason to go running - unless we see dozens follow with the same issue. Anything can fail at any time and sometimes with out reason. It’s funny as I’ve been on vacation and just got back and checked mine and all is fine - been running for 3 months no issue. Though I did just up it a few ML as my Uptake has increased.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see more examples of Alkalinity spikes that dont cause RTN of coral. Looks like you have healthy corals.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to guess they sell thousands of these and 1 failure isn’t a reason to go running - unless we see dozens follow with the same issue. Anything can fail at any time and sometimes with out reason. It’s funny as I’ve been on vacation and just got back and checked mine and all is fine - been running for 3 months no issue. Though I did just up it a few ML as my Uptake has increased.
I have 4 of them tied together and haven’t had a single issue until this. Unfortunately the head that connects to the main power source is the one that controls the Alk and that’s the one that fried.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely scary. Due to my tank currently being on a recovery trend from being kind of neglected for a while when we had our first child. I am only dosing some kalk into top off. But I’ve been interested in calcium reactors for a while just due to stability and not having to worry about if a dosing container was getting low. This makes me more interested in making the switch.

Only peripherally related. And not to hijack the thread, this is admittedly a pointless theoretical question. But it makes me curious if anyone is aware of the limits of the water chemistry. Obviously saltwater can become over saturated to a dangerous/toxic level with alk. But what is the theoretical maximum that alkalinity could reach? There has to be a point like with salt where no more can be dissolved.

It’s mostly based on that 40 is very high and anyone would panic to see that their alk had spiked to that point. So it crossed my mind how close to maximum saturation was this.

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is scary. Reminds me of something similar that happened to me 20 years ago that caused me to leave the hobby. I had a spectrapure dosing pump feeding DI water from my 55 gallon drum into my kalk reactor. The spectrapure was configured to turn on a few seconds every hour.

Power was turned off on my block w/o my knowledge and while I was at work. When power was restored, it must have fried my spectrapure and the unit was pumping water nonstop = pumping kalk water into my 360 gallon system. I came home to 55 gallons of water on my floor and a tank that just had that much kalk pumped into it. Everything died, all my corals, 20 clams, and some prized fish.

So took 20 years for me to recover and I just got back into the hobby because I wanted to share it with my kids. :)

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely scary. Due to my tank currently being on a recovery trend from being kind of neglected for a while when we had our first child. I am only dosing some kalk into top off. But I’ve been interested in calcium reactors for a while just due to stability and not having to worry about if a dosing container was getting low. This makes me more interested in making the switch.

Only peripherally related. And not to hijack the thread, this is admittedly a pointless theoretical question. But it makes me curious if anyone is aware of the limits of the water chemistry. Obviously saltwater can become over saturated to a dangerous/toxic level with alk. But what is the theoretical maximum that alkalinity could reach? There has to be a point like with salt where no more can be dissolved.

It’s mostly based on that 40 is very high and anyone would panic to see that their alk had spiked to that point. So it crossed my mind how close to maximum saturation was this.
That’s a question I wanted to know the answer to as well. The Hanna checker maxes out at a reading of 20 dkh and flashes when it’s higher, which happened this morning. So I am just guessing that it spiked to 40 or more. My tank was consuming 30 mls of 2 part a day and the alk was 8.2-8.3 every day. So this malfunction added around 700 mls in minutes and I changed around 75% of the total water volume with fresh 7.8 dKh water. The Alk measured 12.5 after the water change.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried one of the kamoer single head dosers myself but discovered one major design flaw with it...if there is a power outage at all it just ceases dosing and flashes red until it is reconnected to the app again...useless if you dont check it daily and especially if it happens while away from home

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back