Sps polyps not extending

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what could be stop this corals ploups from extending ?

15108416841701351280375.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being at the bottom of the tank probably isn't making it too happy to start with. What are your parameters like? The acro to the left seems pretty happy so I wouldn't be too concerned with water params, but it's always good to have those values ready when discussing any SPS issues.

It also may just be that the type of acro on the right doesn't exhibit great PE during the daytime and instead has PE during the dark as a form of food collection.

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for replying

Iv added him a few days ago and PE was good on both corals and the bright green acro has stayed the same since being added to the tank ! , iv made a small erra in raising the ALK to 11.5dkh the other day but now its at 10dkh and I'm letting the ALK drop slowly back down to 9 ! Which it should hit by tomorrow,

See I'm using or WAS using nopox to carbon dose the system but I hit NO3 0 and PO4 0 and had a massive bacteria explosion even dosing 1mm per 400 litres a day !

I guess my system must be naturally UNLS at the moment and does not need any carbon

Right now I'm at

Alk10
Ca440
Mg1450
Ph8
SG35ppt
Temp25

Iv done a 10% water change yesterday and I'm adding aquavitro reef fuel which I'm not to sure about TBH

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try moving the acro at the weekend on a high area of the tank if the PE is not better by then?

And yes the PE is better in the blue tips at night time so fingers crossed it will be ok then

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't make over all tank changes to enhance one coral if all other corals are doing well. If all other sps are doing well and showing pe consider yourself lucky, we simply can not meet the needs for all corals from vastly different geographical and vastly different tanks. Add to that not all Acorpora show the same pe, some show exaggerated polyp extension and some very limited pe. That piece look like it needs to acclimate, I would do nothing other than move it up in time.

Have you calculated the tanks utilization of alk?

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the reply ,

Yes the tank is using about 1dkh a day in 24hrs ! There are about 27 Lps and 3 sps frags in total , yes I thick your right it just needs more time to ajust to the tank parameters and nutrient levels?

What about flow ? Im using maxspec gyre 230 the new stile but its only set on about 20% power as its quite powerful when it hits the Lps and I'm thinking that sps are famous for needing loads of flow ?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David,

Tahoe has provided you some great information. I second that you should make little or no changes (other than your correction to Alkalinity) and let the Acro adapt to the new environment. Even if you get everything correct, it may take a week or so to see that result with acros. Best to make slow changes and handle the coral as little as possible to start.

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David,

Tahoe has provided you some great information. I second that you should make little or no changes (other than your correction to Alkalinity) and let the Acro adapt to the new environment. Even if you get everything correct, it may take a week or so to see that result with acros. Best to make slow changes and handle the coral as little as possible to start.

Hi and thanks , I'm just going to let the ALK drop to 9dkh and take it from there , yes great advice from u guys thanks

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t concern yourself with pollup extension, are they doing ok, looking good? Sometimes it takes a long time for them to extend or not at all, that doesn’t mean they are doing bad, most of mine do not extend in the daytime, when the lights go out, they will, I use a flash light early in the morning, around 1:00 am, after a few hours of darkness, not too bright light, I can’t believe the pollop extension, they’re healthy, they are fine!

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the reply

Yes I think your right because I have use a flash light at night and was happy to see the PE was a lot better after the lights went out and was feeding ! Im going to place the corals higher up on the rock work this weekend and just let them be ! I think it' to easy with acros to start panicking about them if some thing don't look right with them , I think it' best just to leave alone and keep it stable for them to thrive , PE is getting a little better during the day on the blue tip and the green one seems like the polyps are going to fall out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back