SPS Polyps retracting and getting bumpy

AMILLER400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some green branching sps to my tank and watched as all the polyps retracted and the surface got jagged and bumpy (the rear coral on the picture). The tips got white and looks like it's splitting. It's also encrusting at the base and has good color, just a more neon green and I can barely polyp movement.

I added a second piece from a the same source. As seen in the picture (the coral in front) the polys were all extend and a darker green when I put it in. It looks like the polyps are retracting and I'm fairly certain that it will get more neon green and bumpy like my other piece.

All my parameters are in check:
8.5 dkh
410 ca
1350 mg
8.2 ph
79 degrees water temp
Zero nitrates and phosphates.
I have two mp10's in my 55gal display
2 Hydra 26HD LEDs 10" over the tank.
The coral is about 8-10" deep
Good coralline algae growth on back of tank
I add essential minerals and do regular WCs

live stock:
Potters angle
Coral Beauty angel
6 line wrasse
Cleaner shrimp
2 clowns
2 damsels
2 cardinals
2 rbta's

My concerns are:
- fish nipping?
- not enough food/water too clean?
- too much or too little light? No par meter to test... :/
- too much or too little flow?

Does anyone have any advice or had a similar issue? Is the coral just adapting to live in my tank and probably healthy or am I missing something and should try making an adjustment?

IMG_5711.JPG

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.5 dkh
410 ca
1350 mg
8.2 ph
79 degrees water temp
Zero nitrates and phosphates.
I think your growth is looking good. For my SPS I like to keep calcium between 440-450. Your alk is about spot on. You should keep some trace amounts of no3 and po4. I like to keep nitrates between 2-5ppm and no more than 10ppm. Po4 should have a reading of <0.03.

I can't judge your lighting or flow from a picture. Best to use your eyes or purchase a lux meter from amazon for $15. By eyes, I mean look for bleaching or browning of coral.

SPS coral encrusting is a good sign so is the branching.

OP
OP
AMILLER400

AMILLER400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the "bumps" good? I'm trying to fully understand why they are forming? Before the coral went in my tank it was smooth on the sides, but now it's forming thorn-like needles all down the sides. Is the coral growing differently than it was before? Seems like maybe protection for the polyps maybe from my fish nipping or maybe because it's got plenty light and food so the polyps don't have to come out as much and the coral has enough energy to grow them?..

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the "bumps" good? I'm trying to fully understand why they are forming? Before the coral went in my tank it was smooth on the sides, but now it's forming thorn-like needles all down the sides. Is the coral growing differently than it was before? Seems like maybe protection for the polyps maybe from my fish nipping or maybe because it's got plenty light and food so the polyps don't have to come out as much and the coral has enough energy to grow them?..
Those are new branches :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back