SPS problems....need advice

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my system i would say it is clise to 230 gallons how mych shoukd i dose daily? I know that TDS cant be helping either

Go by twillards recipe and dosing recommendations. You'll want to test your nitrates, before and after, you dose. Don't go from zero to 5ppm either. Id dose enough to go to 1ppm and then does a little each day until you hit 5ppm.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my system i would say it is clise to 230 gallons how mych shoukd i dose daily? I know that TDS cant be helping either

Use this calculator to mix the stump remover and RO/DI.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I mix mine so that 10ml solution adds 1ppm nitrate. I keep a solution mixed in a container for when ever I need it labeled with contents and amount needed so I don't forget. My system is about 300 gallons.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding nitrate can cause issues because it will drive po4 down. If your po4 is already zero or close to it is how you run into an issue. That's why you should add it slowly.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got to get that tds to zero. Since it was once zero, and now 4, you may be allowing, who knows what has been trapped in your filter, buildup to get into your tank.

Phosphate is probably not zero unless your tank is spotless, devoid of any type algae.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There had to be something else amiss. I've never heard of nitrates causing burned tips, but the lack of them coupled with higher alkalinity causing it.

I try to add a little every few days and test a few times a week to make sure I'm keeping it in the 4ppm range.

So far, so good.
Nope. I keep my alk at 7.0 and use one of the dosing pump heads for nitrate daily. Food grade potassium nitrate even, not even spectracide. I keep it between 1 and 2. That was up front though, not since.

OP
OP
Reefpro

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a complete set of ro/di filters on the way will change asap. Tested nitrates just now and zero. Should i remove the cheato? I have a large chunk about a gallon ziplock back full packed in and lastly i have algae on glass daily (greenish brown) and cyano. My po4 was up to .1 two weeks ago. Will removibg the cheato be nore detrimental? Will it suck up the nitrates im dosing?? And lastly would it be beneficial yo put gfo reactor back online instead of the cheato?

Thsnks everyone for the input

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a complete set of ro/di filters on the way will change asap. Tested nitrates just now and zero. Should i remove the cheato? I have a large chunk about a gallon ziplock back full packed in and lastly i have algae on glass daily (greenish brown) and cyano. My po4 was up to .1 two weeks ago. Will removibg the cheato be nore detrimental? Will it suck up the nitrates im dosing?? And lastly would it be beneficial yo put gfo reactor back online instead of the cheato?

Thsnks everyone for the input

How are you testing NO3 and PO4?

OP
OP
Reefpro

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per randys recipe i just dosed 100 ml into my tank ( 10 grams per liter of water) and revommended dosing of 1ml per 2 gallons of water

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I keep my alk at 7.0 and use one of the dosing pump heads for nitrate daily. Food grade potassium nitrate even, not even spectracide. I keep it between 1 and 2. That was up front though, not since.

Aren't "burned tips" caused by high alkalinity causing the coral to grow skeleton faster than it can cover it? I always thought that nitrates and nutrients from the water column and sugar from their zooxanthelie grew the skin and alkalinity, calcium, magnesium were responsible for the skeleton.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Information overload. Too much stuff going on here IMO.
I dont believe No3 and Po4 have anything to do with this. If your reading tds, change out your filters. Change them all. Once changed do a nice 20% water change.
Pull a acro that is rtning and blast it with a turkey bastor as stated before in a white or clear container. Do this with a couple badly rtning acros. Need to rule out flatworms completely. This is key! They hide very well and camouflage very well. They are super hard to see. Use a magnifying glass if you can to improve your search.
Big question! How old is the tank?

OP
OP
Reefpro

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 1 year and2 months old i have checked foe AEFW and bite marks i have blown off and dipped. Nothing. I have dealt with those littte rat jerks onve before and what i saw was big loss in color and no pe but not normally RTN/STN like this and Coronus i agree. A lot goin on here i will change filters as soon as they arrive and try to get my ratios back in chevk with no3 and po4

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per randys recipe i just dosed 100 ml into my tank ( 10 grams per liter of water) and revommended dosing of 1ml per 2 gallons of water

Do you mean James?

Did you follow the recipe from the planted website I linked?

Where should the calculated NO3 after adding that amount?

I would wait at least one hour.

Is your test kit expired?

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10 grams per liter? How many teaspoons was that?

Also, I probably missed it, but what test are you using to test your nitrates?

OP
OP
Reefpro

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used randy holmes farley ratio i do not have any of those plastic cups salufert test kit and exp in 2019

OP
OP
Reefpro

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I weighed it on digital scale per his instructions If i was to guess probably 4

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the resolution of your test kit? My math is a bit fuzzy, but that should have raised your tank to around 1ppm of nitrates.

Edit: 10g/1000g = .01 potassium nitrate solution. 100mL of that into 240g at 3.78*240gallons

.01*100/3.78*240*1000 = 1.1*10^-6

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back