Sps tank

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a total reboot on my 180 while we move. I sold off my lights (sb reef lights) as I wasn’t personally happy with them.

With that being said, I also plan on upgrading tanks in the future (maybe even now would be the right time) to a 400ish gallon tank.

What would be the best option as far as lighting goes?

If T5, what would be the best bulb combo? Lighting schedule? Etc

If LED I’m torn between kessil a360, and AI hydra 52.

Would like to stay away from metal halide unless I go a deep tank.

Can I get opinions, schedules, and personal experiences on these lights?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could go either way depending on your dimensions you would have to decide on how many of each you would want. You have more options with the AI hydra 52 as far as spectrum goes and changing it throughout the day, but you have simplicity with the Kessil. I have seen them both setup and they look nice.

OP
OP
Albertan_Reef

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180 is a standard tank

Big tank would be 96x30x30 or 96x36x36

So many options it’s hard to decide.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil is a good option but the intensity is probably going to be a challenge if the tank height is 30” or more.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halide if you’re going all SPS. Otherwise T5, or a T5 halide combo. There are some very efficient and cooler running halides out there these days.

jkurtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a giesemann aurora fixture and seem to have good luck.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If SPS, then MH all the way. If a shallower tank, then look at 150w HQI - this has 14k Phoenix available for awesome color and growth. For a larger tank, then 250w are good.

If you go with the 30 or 36" tank, then Halide and reflectors have always been and still are the most efficient way to light larger areas.

T5 would be my next choice, but I would run a pair of 8x 36" units since I know for sure that I hate not having 6" on each end lit. That is a lot of bulbs to change compared to 3x MH bulbs... and no savings on electricity.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If T5, what would be the best bulb combo? Lighting schedule? Etc
Pick a bulb combo you like visually. It will be hard to screw it up with T5 bulbs. I'd personally recommend at least 2 full spectrum bulbs in an 8 bulb setup (full spectrum meaning a 6500k, 10k, ATI aquablue bulb, ATI coral plus, etc...). Fill in the other bulb slots as you see fit (within reason).

Schedule- 8 to 12 hours is pretty typical and usually fine, although I think you can certainly get by with shorter or longer illumination periods. A dawn / dusk period is fine to use within that time period but is more for our enjoyment I think than a necessity.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If LED I’m torn between kessil a360, and AI hydra 52.
I have no experience with AI Hydras. If you use kessils, you will probably want the narrow lense version for that depth of tank. I think from a cost and output standpoint, I think the AP700 would be a better value. An AP 700 is going to put out about the same amount of light as 2 to 3 KessilA360s. You could do 4 AP700 turned vertically to cover the tank width. You'd likely need 8 (at a minimum Kessil A360s) and that would still be less par than I think the AP700's would provide.

Although I've never used them, I think you should consider the Orphek Atlantiks They seem to fit in nicely with the tank footprint you are looking at. You might be able to get by with 2 (but 3 might be best) if you're looking to do high light needing SPS (such as acropora) versus lower light SPS such as montipora.

Aesthetics might be a factor. 3 Orpheks mounted in an open area might look sleek, whereas 8+ kessils dangling down might not to you. If you're using a canopy, it may not matter. Just throwing out things to consider.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back