OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point and one I agree with. The 60 seems to bounce flow off the glass off the surface and back onto the islands. I'll know how the flow really is once I see how the coral polyps react.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so far no new news on my water chemistry. I'll do my first water test to see where Im at in the nitrogen cycle on Sunday. Today I made a wise purchase IMO. I bought me a 8x8x4" block of Marine Pure media, Surface Area: 2,150m2 - 23,000 ft2 in other words it's probably enough surface are to clear half a football field. I wanted more rock for my system but was very satisfied with the aqua scape I have now but wanted the extra surface area for happy bacteria. I was going to cut it in half but a good friend of mine found out if you keep the 4" thickness that it would be thick enough to have an anaerobic area for anaerobic bacteria to break down the nitrate into nitrogen gas. It does seem to fit nice and snug in the sump where my return slowly pulls water through the media.

IMG_1509_zps1725020c.jpg

IMG_1511_zpsfbd9cab7.jpg

IMG_1513_zps9f35b1ef.jpg

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm never heard of it. Sounds great though... I'll be watching to see how good it works ;) I agree, i like the rock islands you've created a lot. I can invision them packed with acros branching out with lots of fish and swim area...

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very interesting Andy, I will have to do a little research plus keep an eye on your system to see how it goes and what type of maintenance is required with it. I'm wondering if it would be better in a non lighted or dark environment ???

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Todd for the most part it stays pretty dark underneath the sump occasionally the Christmas LED's are on. I like the idea if the stuff....I'm curious too. It makes sense on paper so we'll have to see. If needed, it could be cleaned and flushed out with a five gallon bucket of salt water if it gets pretty nasty. I'd like not to see this happen, I feel pretty optimistic about it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat. I had not seen that before. Should act like artificial live rock, with better surface area. The advantage of that stuff over bio-balls, would be the surface area within the block, as you had mentioned. Bio-balls only host aerobic bacteria. No areas of low oxygen. The block would host aerobic bacteria on the outer surfaces, but would also host anaerobic bacteria inside, like live rock would. I might try some of that in the new nano, since I don't plan to have that much live rock in the display either. Wish I hadn't just ordered from BRS earlier this evening. :) Thanks for posting that though. I was going to go the rubble rock in the sump route, but this looks like an interesting alternative.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so far no new news on my water chemistry. I'll do my first water test to see where Im at in the nitrogen cycle on Sunday. Today I made a wise purchase IMO. I bought me a 8x8x4" block of Marine Pure media, Surface Area: 2,150m2 - 23,000 ft2 in other words it's probably enough surface are to clear half a football field. I wanted more rock for my system but was very satisfied with the aqua scape I have now but wanted the extra surface area for happy bacteria. I was going to cut it in half but a good friend of mine found out if you keep the 4" thickness that it would be thick enough to have an anaerobic area for anaerobic bacteria to break down the nitrate into nitrogen gas. It does seem to fit nice and snug in the sump where my return slowly pulls water through the media.

IMG_1509_zps1725020c.jpg

IMG_1511_zpsfbd9cab7.jpg

IMG_1513_zps9f35b1ef.jpg

Nice. I've been curious about these.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top down to get a better orientation of the three islands.

IMG_1506_1_zps065b9b1a.jpg

Nice top down view. I have rock for my new tank scattered between my QT, sump, and display for the time being. I need to get some time to really do the scape I had in mind.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat. I had not seen that before. Should act like artificial live rock, with better surface area. The advantage of that stuff over bio-balls, would be the surface area within the block, as you had mentioned. Bio-balls only host aerobic bacteria. No areas of low oxygen. The block would host aerobic bacteria on the outer surfaces, but would also host anaerobic bacteria inside, like live rock would. I might try some of that in the new nano, since I don't plan to have that much live rock in the display either. Wish I hadn't just ordered from BRS earlier this evening. :) Thanks for posting that though. I was going to go the rubble rock in the sump route, but this looks like an interesting alternative.

I see the thread link to the possible aluminum problem. I'll have to read that thread tonight and maybe even do a Triton myself. The idea is fabulous and I hope it does the job. Rubble rock also would work great but less detritus with this Im guessing. Good luck. Great build thread you have going.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice top down view. I have rock for my new tank scattered between my QT, sump, and display for the time being. I need to get some time to really do the scape I had in mind.

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you do.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, got my water checked out and it looks like I've cycled. I know looking at the pic the first test (ammonia) looks green but it is yellow. Looks that way with the black background. Nitrate looks to be about 9-10 ppm. May add a fish this week and a couple colorful low budget corals by the weekend.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417394543.019479.jpg

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back