Stand alone refugium question

jaket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I bought a 55 gallon sump, and building a 75 gallon sump how I would like it set up. But this is a question while running the 55 for the time being

I would like to add a refugium. Mainly for Chaeto. Helping with my algae. And pods

I have a couple 10 gallon tanks that are drilled for overflows. My display is on the main level of the floor with dual 1-1/2 overflows into the basement where the sump is.

My question is could I build a stand above the sump. Split one of the overflows over to the refugium then the overflow back into a filter sock to go on down the line. And grow cheato in that tank?

Would there be any problem with flow/overflow. Being before the skimmer and return pump?

Or second option is split my reactor pump line. Only running it at half capacity right now. And run that into the fuge then gravity overflow back into the filter sock and down the line from there

Or just use the middle section of my sump for a fuge. Don’t know the best way to go about it. Middle section is lower flow of course but I don’t have any way of keeping the cheato and pods in before the baffle and return section

Any advise or help would be awesome! Thank you

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of remote sumps. I would personally not put a filter sock on that overflow, because you’d want the give the pods that might escape the best chance to make it into your display tank. Why not just use a power head like a MaxiJet to push water into your fuge? Then you just need some vinyl hose to run from your sump into your fuge. That’s how I run mine. A small ball valve inline can be used to throttle the flow back if needed. Then you can place the power head in any section of your sump you want, and can even move it and try it in different spots.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep ditch the sock, otherwise I like the remote sump plan

OP
OP
jaket

jaket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep ditch the sock, otherwise I like the remote sump plan

Alright I wasn’t sure if there was any need to go back into a sock. Just don’t want to overload the display with detritus. But If the fuge works I guess there wouldn’t be any. Leftover.

Low flow through the fuge correct? 1/2 line would be enough? I got another pump 250 gph I believe

OP
OP
jaket

jaket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of remote sumps. I would personally not put a filter sock on that overflow, because you’d want the give the pods that might escape the best chance to make it into your display tank. Why not just use a power head like a MaxiJet to push water into your fuge? Then you just need some vinyl hose to run from your sump into your fuge. That’s how I run mine. A small ball valve inline can be used to throttle the flow back if needed. Then you can place the power head in any section of your sump you want, and can even move it and try it in different spots.

Was debating that. I didn’t know what flow I should be looking at through the fuge. I was thinking on a maxijet like 1/2” hose would be plenty. 2-300gph

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back