Stand build frustration

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the edges of the plywood, you may buy some iron-on edge banding; available in different species of wood. Simple to apply with an old clothes-iron and to press it, just a block of wood if you don’t have a roller.
You can get the edge band at most hardware stores.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could flush out at top just by adding 1x which would also hide end grain, or you could bump past it slightly for some detail.
Swap the wood box for a cardboard box, kitty will probably never know!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to be helpful, I have an internal bracing plan from the 60 cube stand I posted earlier...

Note the 3 layer lam beam... this tank was sitting 6" in from the edge of the stand, all the way around. It needed the cross support. Yours, with the edges of the tank immediately above the frame, shouldn't need this sort of support.

I highly recommend bright white, hard finish on the inside of stands. Makes visibility while working much better. I like RustOleum's Topside marine finish. Easy, reasonably inexpensive, and works very, very well.

BraceDetail.jpg

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to be helpful, I have an internal bracing plan from the 60 cube stand I posted earlier...

Note the 3 layer lam beam... this tank was sitting 6" in from the edge of the stand, all the way around. It needed the cross support. Yours, with the edges of the tank immediately above the frame, shouldn't need this sort of support.

I highly recommend bright white, hard finish on the inside of stands. Makes visibility while working much better. I like RustOleum's Topside marine finish. Easy, reasonably inexpensive, and works very, very well.

BraceDetail.jpg
I saw those plans, and cut a bunch of 3" strips when I was at the table saw. Been laminating plywood for a couple days now. Today is my Saturday so hopefully Ill get the beam installed tonight.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy lumber, you can make a jig to use a table saw as a jointer. This gives you perfectly straight cuts. Could also use a planer with a jig to make it a jointer for flat sides. If you google jointer jig for table saw, you will find different methods. Also, Kreg makes a guide for a circular saw to ensure straight cuts on sheer goods. Sometimes it’s easier to use these jigs and guides than to run large sheet goods through a table saw. Also, utilizing a biscuit helps keep things in line during assembly.

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done with the trim. I know its not perfect, but I'm pretty proud of it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 107 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 30.3%
Back