Star fish help

Dakotah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a starfish about a month ago and I noticed he's starting to leak a brown secretion underneath him is this something to worry about?

1550208140068820441541720648443.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many questions!

How long has your star looked like this?
How long has your tank been running?
What kind of sea star is this?
How have you been feeding it?
Do you know for a fact that it's been eating?
Are your water parameters all 'normal'? I don't need to see them all, I'll trust you know where they should be... at least for now. ;)

Sea stars (BTW, this isn't a fish so they are generally called sea stars) are not easy to keep. Serpent stars and brittle stars have a better survival rate than most others. And even they don't do well in newer tanks (like less than a year old). That's not to say it can't happen, but the odds aren't in your (or the star's) favor. Fromia & Linckia are very difficult to keep.

OP
OP
Dakotah

Dakotah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the water parameters look good. the salinity is at 1.25 and the water is between 77 to 78 degrees. the tank has been running for a few years it did only have live rock in it for a lot of those years and the salinity was a tad off but I corrected that and added fresh live rock and sand about 5 months before buying sea star he's been in the tank for about a month now and this just started happening the other day when I first purchase him I drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and has been crawling on the glass since and hasn't stopped..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how are you feeding it?

OP
OP
Dakotah

Dakotah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting Frozen mussels in there piece by piece thinking he would eat it but he seems just to be staying on the glass maybe eating the algae

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what Live Aquaria has to say about your star:

The Red Sea Star, or Red Starfish, of the genus Fromia may be various shades of red. Both the Red and the Red & Black Sea Star have multiple black pores (dots) on its surface. The Red & Black Sea Star has black on the tips of its arms.

It generally lives alone, but if the aquarium is large enough to support more than one, it will tolerate others of its own species. It requires a mature tank with algae and is generally fairly self-sufficient in the aquarium, finding enough micro-organisms and detritus to scavenge if live rock is present. It is diurnal.

The Red Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. The drip acclimation method is highly recommended for all Sea Stars due to their intolerability to changes in water chemistry. It should never be exposed to air while handling.

If there is insufficient algae growth in the aquarium, the diet should be supplemented with flaked foods, and small pieces of fish or mussel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back