Start From Scratch!

NickyPop1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on ladies and gentlemen!? Guess I will start off with a little bit about myself...my name is Nick 27yr born and currently in Raleigh, NC. I am heating and a/c tech just finished my associates degree and getting contractor license shortly.

So here's my story... have had freshwater for about 5 years but it's time to step it up. So last week went to my lfs and bought a deep blue 80g rimless & drilled. (48x24) And bought a 40g breeder for sump/ato. Built my tank stand, this is where I'm at. This will be fowlr until tank gets well established but definitely want to do some corals

I'm open to all suggestions and would like to hear how y'all would do it if you were going to start a brand new setup. Design

OP
OP
NickyPop1

NickyPop1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate all advice, suggestions and want to hear how you guys would do it to start a brand new setup. If anyone has good design for sump and plumbing would be great! As for equipment what is the best skimmer; pump, led lights, controls, ultraviolet etc. I'm not made of money, just looking for a solid setup.

Also I've read mixed ideas would like clarification: that there needs to be some kind of refugium and light on when display tank lights off and to keep ph stable??

Thanks

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.
Start watching the BRS videos. My equipment: Reef Octopus 2000, Current Pro LEDs, Coralvue 4-stage R/O, 60 gal. Refuge, 180 tank, EH 300 watt heater, high volume power heads, return pump 1400 gal/ hour.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! I actually just recently did a tank swap and snagged the same tank. Built my own stand for this one. I'm about a month in with new sand and going through a diatom bloom at moment. Aside from that, a flawless transition.

Livestock:
2 osc clown
1 devil damsel
1 yellow tail damsel
1 bangai Cardinal
1 coral beauty
1 bullseye mandarin dragonette
1 blue spot goby
1 royal gramma
2 peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs

Clean up:
Misc snail and hermit
1 tiger conch
2 tiger tail cuke (was 1 until split)

Equipment:
Eshoppes 120skimmer
Eheim compact 3000+ return pump
SB Reef Light 32" timer
20Long sump
Gyre 150
1x wp10, 1x pp4 powerhead
Titanium heater
Finex heater control (just double refundancy to keep me safe in the event of a heater sticking on)
JBJ ato with kalkwasser
Adj 100 switch controller
Diy filter floss basket (didn't want to wash socks so I just toss the floss out every other day or so. I use the 100% polyester pillow stuffing)
BRS 75gpd rodi
Air pump on timer with dual wood stones for night time micro scrubbing (stones in return chamber)

Sump pic
image.jpg

IMG_7945.JPG

Media: (in first sump chamber)
Carbon
Phosban (more for silicates)
Chemipur elite

Overkill on live rock

Tank pic
IMG_7918.JPG

As far as the refugium light, I'm trying something new. Since dosing kalkwasser with my ato, I'm stopping my under tank lighting at night. Going to see how it does.

Parameters:
SG: 1.026
No3: .5
Po4: .01
Alk: 7
Cal: 440
Mag: 1400

Feel free to ask any questions! Happy reefing!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef
Great looking tank
I just did a dyi for the refuge light, Lowes, 65 watt led w reflecting hat for your macro algae, I use Chaeto
Good luck, and again welcome

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Great advice here- whatever you do, keep us posted with your build! :)

OP
OP
NickyPop1

NickyPop1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the helpful advice fellas! So far I've got 100lbs Marco rock, sro1000, 2x SB reef light boxes. Spectrapure rodi (working on the rest)...

But I'm concerned with this tank I got... I haven't tested it with water yet. Will do tmrw and sending pics to manufacture. This has to be the worst silicone job I've ever seen. On the opposite corners there is major micro bubbles in the corners that actually hold the tank together. Also long air pockets in the seal runs about 1/2 way down to the height of the tank. I told the LFS I got to order to send it back for another one. After leaving it up there for 2 weeks I walk in there today, he said they are all going to look like that. Maybe try a marineland. what the heck? I have another deep blue tank without any issues. Look at this garbage...
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG

Back