Starting a Red Sea Reefer 250 ! (Need advice)

2x AI Hyrdra 26's or 1 Radion XR30w G4

• Total voters

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
English is not my first language so my spelling and gramma may be quite off

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The s1 is the smallest one, I run Triton method and then a real 10x system turnover in the refugium/sump is ideal for this. Rated at 5300lph and counting headloss and plumbing the vectra s1 is perfect for 10x turnover on nearly full power, the m1 like said before is better suited for bigger tanks so if you upgrade you have a good pump in the m1 otherwise the s1 is perfect for the 250. Nyos and deltec skimmers are really good, i just wanted the best the market has to offer in my equipment so i went all in. I would really recomend 2 mp10 instead of 1 gyre and 1 vortech. Then you can as i earlier said simulate the ocean and delicate sps will thrive. Read up on ecotech marine corallab about flow at world wide corals and their systems and how the mimic the ocean with this setup. This works really good and my tank is exlusively stocked with australian sps colonies and a couple of maxima clams. For lightning all the leds on the markets that let you choose all channels as you want is very easy to just go want pleases the eye and dont get the right balance of colors and spectrum, therefore i went with the new philips led that are ugly bulky lamps but with a light and shimmer that no leds can match up to date if if kessils shimmer is near. No discoball effect and light with amazing qualites for growing corals. An really reallly good light is t5: ati blue plus and coral plus bulbs makes a stunning light both for the eye and corals and are proven among the best for growing and care for healthy corals with amazing light spread and they are as effective as the best leds in most cases. Change bulbs ones a year is must but even leds dont last forever even if people seems to think this is the case. A hybrid light from ati or geismann is in my eyes a far better choice the radion or hydra for the newbie, most pros with stunning zeovit tanks still prefer t5

Thanks so much for all of the advice. The S1 is a much better choice for my system! I should have known about the smaller model. I will be ordering the pump in a few days.

Right now I am leaning more towards the kessils with the controller. I just can't get over the shimmer they put out.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to go with 2 x Kessil A160WE. They will be coming this Friday! I've heard enough positive stories regarding growth with these lights to finally feel comfortable with the purchase. The shimmer on the light really stood out to me as well. Kessil really knows a thing or two about spectrum. Hoping for the best! Pictures to come...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back