Starting a Red Sea Reefer 250 ! (Need advice)

2x AI Hyrdra 26's or 1 Radion XR30w G4

• Total voters

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all Reefers!

My name is Brian. This is my first post on R2R. Just some quick background info on me.... I'am currently living in the state of California, working towards a Masters Degree in Marine Biology.
I have been in the saltwater hobby for a little over a year now and it has become a true passion of mine.

I have decided to toss the ol' 28g JBJ nanocube and upgrade to the Red Sea Reefer 250. I plan to start documenting the tanks progression when it arrives next week.

I wanted to get your general advice on any specific type of equipment you would recommend or any past experiences you've had with the Red Sea Reefer that you would like to share.

I plan on keeping mostly soft coral, LPS, and some of the less demanding SPS.

Here is a list of the build I am considering right now:

Red Sea Reefer 250 (white)

Filtration:
-Vectra M1 return pump
-Vortech MP10
-will most likely add a Jebao wave maker for extra water movement
(any recommendations?)

Skimmer:
-
eshopps PSK75H (I plan on upgrading to a Deltec SCA 1351)

Lighting:

- 2 x - AI Hyrda 26 HD LED
(I've heard too many horror stories with Radion's, but I am still considering them)

THANK YOU!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all Reefers!

My name is Brian. This is my first post on R2R. Just some quick background info on me.... I'am currently living in the state of California, working towards a Masters Degree in Marine Biology.
I have been in the saltwater hobby for a little over a year now and it has become a true passion of mine.

I have decided to toss the ol' 28g JBJ nanocube and upgrade to the Red Sea Reefer 250. I plan to start documenting the tanks progression when it arrives next week.

I wanted to get your general advice on any specific type of equipment you would recommend or any past experiences you've had with the Red Sea Reefer that you would like to share.

I plan on keeping mostly soft coral, LPS, and some of the less demanding SPS.

Here is a list of the build I am considering right now:

Red Sea Reefer 250 (white)

Filtration:
-Vectra M1 return pump
-Vortech MP10
-will most likely add a Jebao wave maker for extra water movement
(any recommendations?)

Skimmer:
-
eshopps PSK75H (I plan on upgrading to a Deltec SCA 1351)

Lighting:

- 2 x - AI Hyrda 26 HD LED
(I've heard too many horror stories with Radion's, but I am still considering them)

THANK YOU!
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif
the lights are a horse a piece, the only nice thing about the hydra is it's WiFi controllable right out of the box, the radions require the reef link (extra 99 bucks) to control. However the radions I believe give out more power and more par. The other nice thing about the radions is if you get it, with the reef link you can control your mp10 as well if it's the wireless model

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies!

Are the Hydra 26's really that bad? What about the 52's? The Radion's are such a pocket drainer :'( .. however, I am sure it's a worthwhile investment.

I've never heard of the GHL Mitras.. I will definitely check them out!

-BG

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies!

Are the Hydra 26's really that bad? What about the 52's? The Radion's are such a pocket drainer :'( .. however, I am sure it's a worthwhile investment.

I've never heard of the GHL Mitras.. I will definitely check them out!

-BG
Hydras are not bad at all! In fact there are many very successful sps dominant tanks on here running only hydras. Absolutely a possibility and you likely wont regret it. I personally have 2 GHL mitras, and had a reefer 250 that i had one over for a while. With a smart aquascape and coral placement 1 is plenty for a mixed reef in that tank. Full sps, youd want 2 or atleast a little t5 supplimentation

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-250.219387/page-3

See the last set of photos, that was one mitras over the reefer

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm in the same boat with trying to piece together a RSR 250. I was looking at a pair of Tunze Nanostream 6040s as I've heard complaints that the MP10's wont stick to the glass thickness. I'd also vote for Kessil 360's as I'm a big Kessil fan :)

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydras are not bad at all! In fact there are many very successful sps dominant tanks on here running only hydras. Absolutely a possibility and you likely wont regret it. I personally have 2 GHL mitras, and had a reefer 250 that i had one over for a while. With a smart aquascape and coral placement 1 is plenty for a mixed reef in that tank. Full sps, youd want 2 or atleast a little t5 supplimentation

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-250.219387/page-3

See the last set of photos, that was one mitras over the reefer

wow, that lighting looks great.... You also take great pictures lol.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm in the same boat with trying to piece together a RSR 250. I was looking at a pair of Tunze Nanostream 6040s as I've heard complaints that the MP10's wont stick to the glass thickness. I'd also vote for Kessil 360's as I'm a big Kessil fan :)

I've been watching a few YouTubers who have the RSR 250 and they both use MP 10's on the left side of the glass. They haven't spoken of any issues with them and they seem to be working fine in their videos! I've already ordered my MP 10 so we shall see! The shimmer on the Kessils is my favorite, but I hear they just don't grow coral nearly as well as some of the other lights out there.

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching a few YouTubers who have the RSR 250 and they both use MP 10's on the left side of the glass. They haven't spoken of any issues with them and they seem to be working fine in their videos! I've already ordered my MP 10 so we shall see! The shimmer on the Kessils is my favorite, but I hear they just don't grow coral nearly as well as some of the other lights out there.

Kessil is a very decisive light, people love em or hate em. Just make sure whatever way you go, get two lights.

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a reefer 250 and would recommend a vectra s1, two mp10 to get that wave and surge motion from side to side that the oceans has when waves rolling in, for sps this is splendid. O good quality skimmer, i use a RE mini bubbleking 160. For light the hydra is good even if Ati power module, philips coralcare or the new Orphek is even better I have build my own custom sump and use Triton method,a natural and holistic aproach to reefing with awesome results.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a reefer 250 and would recommend a vectra s1, two mp10 to get that wave and surge motion from side to side that the oceans has when waves rolling in, for sps this is splendid. O good quality skimmer, i use a RE mini bubbleking 160. For light the hydra is good even if Ati power module, philips coralcare or the new Orphek is even better I have build my own custom sump and use Triton method,a natural and holistic aproach to reefing with awesome results.

Don't you think the S1 would be overkill? The main reason I'm going with the M1 is because I knew I could run it at mid-power and still get more than enough water movement. Yikes, the Bubbleking 160 is a little bit out of my price range. I plan on buying a Deltec 1351 within the next month or so; not a cheap skimmer either.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil is a very decisive light, people love em or hate em. Just make sure whatever way you go, get two lights.

I am still considering 2 - 160's over my 250.. The shimmer is just so dang pretty. I guess I just need some more reassurance that they can do the job as far as coral growth goes.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a cheap wave-maker to supplement my MP-10? I've heard Jebaos move a ton of water and are great for the price.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think the S1 would be overkill? The main reason I'm going with the M1 is because I knew I could run it at mid-power and still get more than enough water movement. Yikes, the Bubbleking 160 is a little bit out of my price range. I plan on buying a Deltec 1351 within the next month or so; not a cheap skimmer either.

The S1 is smaller than the M1. S1–>M1–>L1

Before I begin, Welcome! Glad of you to join all of us!
Lights:
I was a Hydra fan for many moons, but ever since I have seen Kessil and Hydra next to each-other, the kessil is a no brainer. The shimmer, colors, and over all look of the fixture is better in my opinion. Like others said though, EcoTech makes very well designed products, and they work the best when you have all 3. (Lights, Wavemakers, Return pump) I agree raisins are nice but not worth the $800 personaly

Flow: I think the M1 Return will give you more options with a lot of turnover through your sump, and will also allow you to use it when you upgrade to a bigger system. It’s bound to happen, especially with the field that your going into. Atop of the M1 I like the MP10 for your use. Maybe a Gyre would work well with that is you decide you need more flow.

Skimmer: I have heard good things from the NYOS skimmers, quiet and effective. I have also heard great things about reef octopus. In fact BRS speaks very highly of them all through the office as well.

Tips: Read! Learn! Their are a lot of threads in and amongst the Reef 2 Reef community. From knowledgeable information, to people’s personal experience, all is good. If you can’t find something your liking for, don’t be afraid to ask! Always someone here to help! BRSTV is a good YouTube channel to watch. Lots of good investigations on their seeing what works and what doesn’t.

Last if all. Enjoy! This is a very relaxing hobby of done right!

-Zack

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The s1 is the smallest one, I run Triton method and then a real 10x system turnover in the refugium/sump is ideal for this. Rated at 5300lph and counting headloss and plumbing the vectra s1 is perfect for 10x turnover on nearly full power, the m1 like said before is better suited for bigger tanks so if you upgrade you have a good pump in the m1 otherwise the s1 is perfect for the 250. Nyos and deltec skimmers are really good, i just wanted the best the market has to offer in my equipment so i went all in. I would really recomend 2 mp10 instead of 1 gyre and 1 vortech. Then you can as i earlier said simulate the ocean and delicate sps will thrive. Read up on ecotech marine corallab about flow at world wide corals and their systems and how the mimic the ocean with this setup. This works really good and my tank is exlusively stocked with australian sps colonies and a couple of maxima clams. For lightning all the leds on the markets that let you choose all channels as you want is very easy to just go want pleases the eye and dont get the right balance of colors and spectrum, therefore i went with the new philips led that are ugly bulky lamps but with a light and shimmer that no leds can match up to date if if kessils shimmer is near. No discoball effect and light with amazing qualites for growing corals. An really reallly good light is t5: ati blue plus and coral plus bulbs makes a stunning light both for the eye and corals and are proven among the best for growing and care for healthy corals with amazing light spread and they are as effective as the best leds in most cases. Change bulbs ones a year is must but even leds dont last forever even if people seems to think this is the case. A hybrid light from ati or geismann is in my eyes a far better choice the radion or hydra for the newbie, most pros with stunning zeovit tanks still prefer t5

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back