Starting Trion - new tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. New 140g system due in early next week. Plumbing, filling, getting the nitrogen cycle started... be a month or two before I'm ready to actually start with the 'system', but had a few questions that I thought some of the experts around here might be able to answer.

1) What is the size of the 4x Core7 containers? I see lots of dosing info, and I think I've got a handle on how much I want to dose, when I want to start, but I'm trying to calculate costs... and I can't find the size of the bottles _anywhere_.

2) Bare bottom tank. Yeah, I see that the method calls for a shallow sand bed, and I may well go that way, but it's not my current plan. This will be a 5' long, 30" wide tank, mounted peninsula style. I'm going to have to generate mucho flow all at one end in order to keep the kind of flow I'm wanting. I'm afraid a sand bed, anything finer than large particle crushed coral, is going to blow all over the place. Can the method be followed with a bare bottom system successfully? I was thinking perhaps some siporax in the sump to help make up for the lost bio filtration space.

3) Dosing pump. Hard not to buy the jabao DP-4, price wise, but I've had several pieces of Jabao branded equipment fail on me, and I'm not a fan. Other 4 head dosing pumps... seems like the way to go might be with the Kemoer X4. A little high tech for me, but it's that, or a master and slave of the Eshopps brand, which isn't going to save me any money. I guess I could buy another PB4 for my Reefkeeper and 4x BRS 1.1ml dosers... still not saving me any money. Any other recommendations?

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert just imo
1) Core7 comes in 1 liter wide mouth cap containers
2) your choice but more importantly surface area in refugium for macro algae plus light and return pump flow rate
3) most accurate doser you can get that can hold accuracy

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. New 140g system due in early next week. Plumbing, filling, getting the nitrogen cycle started... be a month or two before I'm ready to actually start with the 'system', but had a few questions that I thought some of the experts around here might be able to answer.

1) What is the size of the 4x Core7 containers? I see lots of dosing info, and I think I've got a handle on how much I want to dose, when I want to start, but I'm trying to calculate costs... and I can't find the size of the bottles _anywhere_.

2) Bare bottom tank. Yeah, I see that the method calls for a shallow sand bed, and I may well go that way, but it's not my current plan. This will be a 5' long, 30" wide tank, mounted peninsula style. I'm going to have to generate mucho flow all at one end in order to keep the kind of flow I'm wanting. I'm afraid a sand bed, anything finer than large particle crushed coral, is going to blow all over the place. Can the method be followed with a bare bottom system successfully? I was thinking perhaps some siporax in the sump to help make up for the lost bio filtration space.

3) Dosing pump. Hard not to buy the jabao DP-4, price wise, but I've had several pieces of Jabao branded equipment fail on me, and I'm not a fan. Other 4 head dosing pumps... seems like the way to go might be with the Kemoer X4. A little high tech for me, but it's that, or a master and slave of the Eshopps brand, which isn't going to save me any money. I guess I could buy another PB4 for my Reefkeeper and 4x BRS 1.1ml dosers... still not saving me any money. Any other recommendations?

Number one one liter
Number two I do not know
Number three look into reefbreeders they have a four head dosing pump for 179.00 that's wifi. It's what I'm using

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number one one liter
Number two I do not know
Number three look into reefbreeders they have a four head dosing pump for 179.00 that's wifi. It's what I'm using

Thanks for the info. Just watching video of folks talking about the core7 stuff, I thought they looked like about a liter size, but for some reason none of the documentation or sales literature says.

I'll look into the reefbreeders doser. Coral box, really, right? I've seen several coral box products, and what I've seen far exceeded the jabao quality standard. Might just be a happy medium between jabao and kemoer.

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 1 liter containers. I have seen ones up to 10 l each, but those are for super large systems it think.

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you get a dosing pump where it is easy to change the dosing amounts and reliable of course. Look at something like GHL. Kamoer might work, I was looking at them too, the smallest Dose you can do is 1ml on the kamoer.
GHL doser As small As 0.1ml.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if you can afford a ghl get it but if not the coral box does what I need it to do

I have it doseing 10ml a day of all four elements the ten ml is split up every hour

Easy programming and I can do everything on my phone away from my tank.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Kamoer and it's just fine. My only complaints abou it is the software for your phone isn't very "polished" but it's easy enough to use and 0 instructions in the box, had to hunt down a manual online and even then it wasn't very good. I found better info through youtube on it's set up, calibration, etc.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back