OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about that but my fish frown on brass, copper and electricity. They may have to get over it as I stay up at night thinking about this ridiculous stuff :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished this one and like all the others, this is my favorite and the most difficult to build. The base is a telephone box from 1940. The vintage radio tuner on the right turns on the lights in the glass. The light on top has it's own switch. The "tube" on top has a red LED in it to look like it's on. The electric and electronics are in a metal, electrical box inside so it's legal and not a fire hazard because you can't wire in wood.
All I have left on it is to install an antique cord which I have. It's hard to see the lamp filaments but they are hand wound filaments and look very cool.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very proud of this one. I just finished it. It has a long thin bulb and you turn it on by pulling down on the lead ball.

This one is definitely my favorite so far! It's fantastically wonderful... the pulley pull chain is the absolute clencher... pure genius

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rick. On the one in the vintage wooden box I changed the red heat sink thing on top for a tube that has a red LED light in it and I added an antique knob on the front that dims the lights in the glass. I also changed the wire for an antique one. I like that one the best and hope it doesn't sell because I would like to keep it. I now have a Steam Punk problem, but it is a good problem. I am getting many offers to buy these for a nice sum of money, but they are destined to go in an art show that I found out today is in August. I don't want to sell any of them until after then. Some people want to pre pay for them and take them after the show but I don't want to do that either.
I didn't make them to make money. (although I will sell them as I have no room for all of them) At this point in my life I don't need the money. If I worked all my life and needed money now, I would be in bad shape.
I can't travel like I used to because my wife has MS and can't get around as well as she used to and I already have everything I need or want. I hardly spend anything on my tank because my fish are immune so I have no use for quarantine, hospital tanks, medications, supplements, carbon, GAC, Rowaphas, pellets etc and I don't change much water. I only add fish if they jump out and I don't owe anything to anyone.

I like helping people which I try to do often. Much of my time is spent fixing or designing something for someone. I get satisfaction out of that and I like helping fish Geeks although my Old School Ideas don't always go over well. :eek:

But I am excited to have them in an art show because I want to see what people think about them. It's the thrill of building them that excites me. :)
I am building a new one now that is also from a vintage phone box and so far it is pretty cool although it won't be as nice as that last one. Today I ordered another phone box. This one is from 1920 and still has the crank on the side. I may make the crank turn on the light and maybe dim it but I didn't even start to design it. :p

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an artist, I understand completely. You are a part of them, and they are a part of you.

My biggest thrill is the reaction I get from people when they see my work for the first time, it's something that money can never buy, and something that exists for only a brief moment.

The process of Art in any form is extremely meditative in my experience, and it's addictive to live in the moment of the process. Everything else in the world ceases to matter. Keep sharing with us Paul, I'll start a thread once I've got my next series of creations rolling. (I'm nearly finished with the prototype). Art is contageous, someone here will likely catch the disease too! :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, thanks. I don't consider myself an artist. I actually don't know what I consider myself as it depends on the day. Today I will be a Boat Captain because my boat just went in the water and I didn't see it yet from last summer. I need to clean it, start it, stock it and relax on it. :D
Last week I helped my friend with a plumbing problem so I was a plumber and tomorrow I need to do some electrical work in my house. Friday I will help a friend finish a piece of furniture that some Jiboni wrote on with Magic Marker. I am a hands on person and need to be doing things all my waking hours. The VA councilor told me that is due to PTSD. Who Knew?.
I just baked muffins for me and my wife because as soon as I get up, I need to do something as it is raining so I don't want to go to the boat yet. :D
In the middle of the night or driving somewhere an inspiration will hit me and I can't wait to draw it or build it. That lamp with the pulleys I designed on a napkin while flying home from California a few weeks ago. I still have the napkin. :rolleyes: It could be anything from a rock for my tank, a feeder or an invention of some sort. I have one now at a manufacturer and I am excited to see the first model. It could be a sort of a curse that your mind won't rest. Many people tell me it is a gift, but at 2:00am it feels more like insomnia. :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you McMullen, I appreciate that. :D

The idea for this boulder popped into my head once and I just had to build it. It is hollow and seems to weigh 2,000lbs but it doesn't. It cost about five bucks to build and sits in my front yard. No one knows it is fake.

Too many things pop into my bald head, I just would like to rest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your creative process is disturbingly similar to mine Paul! Things pop into my head, sometimes with no rhymme or reason, they then sit there and cook (evolve) in my mind. At a certain point I can't stand it anymore and it has to be made. I almost never draw a plan or write anything (it doesn't mean it isn't planned or there isn't a blueprint floating around in my head). The subject matter is as random as the thought at times, sometimes ,like your boulder, it's a wild one from left field that no one could have expected. That's half the fun, seeing what's next! Lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait! The boulder isn't real?

OMG, I thought it was but it is hollow like my head. :eek:
I had plans to put the pump in there for the tiny pond in front of it, but I didn't need to put it in there so it is just a big, hollow rock. There is a small door in the back in case I want to hide diamonds, gold or wood. :cool:

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lamps are very cool. I think you need to come up with a steampunk lighting system for your tank. I think it will grow on the fish as time goes on. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank lighting system is Steam Punk. It is totally built of copper and is water cooled with a radiator, pump and fan

Even my algae scrubber light is water cooled, copper, steam punk.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is about 3/4 done. The small tube will have a red light in it and there will be some sort of dimmer knob on the front. It may also have a cage around the bulb.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is that I've heard you talk about your water cooled lighting, but always thought you were joking. I've never seen those pictures. Super models, sure. Water cooled lights? Unbelievable!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back