Still have questions......

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I read the supreme set up guide, as someone so kindly pointed out in another post of mine, but I still have questions lol. I like first-hand experience knowledge and I have been researching on my own, but I want to know from experienced reefers how to deal with these issues....so....

1. If I use an aquarium controller is that considered a GFCI outlet?
2. I live in a condo and the floors are a little uneven, is it even safe to have a 25 gallon
saltwater in the condo or do I need to wait? I live on the fourth floor I have a 20 gallon long
freshwater that seems to be fine (It sits on my old oak desk). I'll be purchasing a waterproof mat to go under the stand for the saltwater, It'll be the AIO IM NUVO FUSHION LAGOON PRO 2 tank and stand...
3. Is there a way to find mantis shrimp before they sneak up on you? I don't need a bulldozer ruining
my living room floor....
4. Is it absolutely necessary to have a RO system or can I just use treated tap? Again, I live in a condo
and there's only so much my partner will deal with lol I use Seachem products for my freshwater and have
never had any issues with the water. I've also tested the water for nitrates and ammonia, and it's always come back 0ppms
5. Can a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter and heater be a quarantine tank? I've been told
no more fish tanks after this one for a while and that includes using my empty 10 gallon as the quarantine
tank.
6. I'm a little confused on the whole attaching corals to the rocks thing, if the tank has been running
for months and the rock is wet then how do you attach the corals?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You can buy a gfci off Amazon that plugs into a regular socket and gives you a gfci for that plug. You don’t need a controller unless you want that.
2. As long as you level out the stand there shouldn’t be any issue.
3.if you buy live rock just observe it for a few days before putting stuff in your tank or use dry rock and find a local reefer to sell you a couple pounds of their live rock to seed it all.
4. Rodi is best if not I’d use distilled or water from a store over tap water with conditioners all day. You’ll have problems with algae.
5.it could if you have some kind of filtration and surface agitation for gas exchange and o2 levels.
6.pick up some coral putty or super glue gel both of them work under water.. put a big dab of super glue gel and stick the coral in the tank where you want it and hold it in place for 30 seconds or so and the saltwater will harden the superglue and you’re good to go!
hope that helps. ;)

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You can buy a gfci off Amazon that plugs into a regular socket and gives you a gfci for that plug. You don’t need a controller unless you want that.
3.if you buy live rock just observe it for a few days before putting stuff in your tank or use dry rock and find a local reefer to sell you a couple pounds of their live rock to seed it all.
4. Rodi is best if not I’d use distilled or water from a store over tap water with conditioners all day. You’ll have problems with algae.
5.it could if you have some kind of filtration and surface agitation for gas exchange and o2 levels.
6.pick up some coral putty or super glue gel both of them work under water.. put a big dab of super glue gel and stick the coral in the tank where you want it and hold it in place for 30 seconds or so and the saltwater will harden the superglue and you’re good to go!
hope that helps. ;)
It does thank you!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I read the supreme set up guide, as someone so kindly pointed out in another post of mine, but I still have questions lol. I like first-hand experience knowledge and I have been researching on my own, but I want to know from experienced reefers how to deal with these issues....so....

1. If I use an aquarium controller is that considered a GFCI outlet?

Not the same thing. The extension cord ones are kind of janky too. I'd replace the outlet instead. A GFCI simply protects you from being electrocuted, a controller can control your gear and provide measurements of various things with the proper probes.
2. I live in a condo and the floors are a little uneven, is it even safe to have a 25 gallon
saltwater in the condo or do I need to wait? I live on the fourth floor I have a 20 gallon long
freshwater that seems to be fine (It sits on my old oak desk). I'll be purchasing a waterproof mat to go under the stand for the saltwater, It'll be the AIO IM NUVO FUSHION LAGOON PRO 2 tank and stand...

Shim your stand so the tank is level. No weight worries for the floor, but the stand must be able to support the weight.
3. Is there a way to find mantis shrimp before they sneak up on you? I don't need a bulldozer ruining
my living room floor....
It will mostly hide in its burrow unless hunting for food. If it's not out un the open, you know where it is.
4. Is it absolutely necessary to have a RO system or can I just use treated tap? Again, I live in a condo
and there's only so much my partner will deal with lol I use Seachem products for my freshwater and have
never had any issues with the water. I've also tested the water for nitrates and ammonia, and it's always come back 0ppms

Depends on your water source but it will potentially make your reefing life much more difficult. There are small portable RODI systems you can fit in a plastic storage container and put away in the closet when not making water.
5. Can a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter and heater be a quarantine tank? I've been told
no more fish tanks after this one for a while and that includes using my empty 10 gallon as the quarantine
tank.

Yes, but only for very small fish and ammonia must be monitored closely with such a small volume.
6. I'm a little confused on the whole attaching corals to the rocks thing, if the tank has been running
for months and the rock is wet then how do you attach the corals?
Superglue and epoxy sandwich. Make a ball of 2 part epoxy like JB waterweld or similar and dab some glue on one side, stick to frag, dab some glue on other side, stick to rock. Superglue works in water to help the epoxy adhere until it cures.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These work just fine.. plug and play.
5D74F37A-83F1-4904-A443-C76EEC78C7A6.png

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope that helps.

Not the same thing. The extension cord ones are kind of janky too. I'd replace the outlet instead. A GFCI simply protects you from being electrocuted, a controller can control your gear and provide measurements of various things with the proper probes.

Shim your stand so the tank is level. No weight worries for the floor, but the stand must be able to support the weight.

It will mostly hide in its burrow unless hunting for food. If it's not out un the open, you know where it is.

Depends on your water source but it will potentially make your reefing life much more difficult. There are small portable RODI systems you can fit in a plastic storage container and put away in the closet when not making water.

Yes, but only for very small fish and ammonia must be monitored closely with such a small volume.

Superglue and epoxy sandwich. Make a ball of 2 part epoxy like JB waterweld or similar and dab some glue on one side, stick to frag, dab some glue on other side, stick to rock. Superglue works in water to help the epoxy adhere until it cures.
How do you replace an outlet lol? Is that hard, sounds complicated.

Where does one get shims? I've heard of this but never had to use one, also I'll be buying the Lagoon stand that goes with the tank so should be good there...

Is there anyway to Coax it out so I can get rid of it, I hear they're not good for tanks and can break them easily.

Thank you for the suggestion, I was so confused I didn't know thy work underwater....thought the rock had to be dry first.

Where can I find a portable one?! That's so cool!

I wanna aim for getting 2 clowfish and a blenny or Gobi so they would be find, right?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where does one get shims? I've heard of this but never had to use one, also I'll be buying the Lagoon stand that goes with the tank so should be good there...

Is there anyway to Coax it out so I can get rid of it, I hear they're not good for tanks and can break them easily.

Thank you for the suggestion, I was so confused I didn't know thy work underwater....thought the rock had to be dry first.

I wanna aim for getting 2 clowfish and a blenny or Gobi so they would be find, right?
You don’t need to replace an outlet that just plugs into a regular one and becomes a gfci on the outlet it provides it’s a self contained unit. The wooden shims you can get at any hardware store or Amazon. As for fish stocking sure that’s fine!
70BA0C7A-8509-441A-9959-D47F1CF261AD.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube is your friend.
Home Depot/Hardware store
Search how to make a bottle trap. You take plastic bottle, cut off spout and invert it, throw in some bait and wait.

Amazon
As long as they are small and ideally not at the same time.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube is your friend.

Home Depot/Hardware store

Search how to make a bottle trap. You take plastic bottle, cut off spout and invert it, throw in some bait and wait.

Amazon

As long as they are small and ideally not at the same time.
Awesome thank you!

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to replace an outlet that just plugs into a regular one and becomes a gfci on the outlet it provides it’s a self contained unit. The wooden shims you can get at any hardware store or Amazon. As for fish stocking sure that’s fine!
70BA0C7A-8509-441A-9959-D47F1CF261AD.png
Awesome I love clownfish(typical I know) and gobis and blennys are so cute!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope that helps. ;)
Yes 1-6.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not like clown fish. I would not recommend them. They can be very aggressive, especially when they start to get into breeding mode. The pair I had in my 32 gallon biocube killed three other fish before I returned the clowns to the LFS.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like clown fish. I would not recommend them. They can be very aggressive, especially when they start to get into breeding mode. The pair I had in my 32 gallon biocube killed three other fish before I returned the clowns to the LFS.
what other fish would you put into a 25 then

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percula clowns are not so bad. Azure damsel or yellowtail damsel (least aggressive damsels), Cardinal Fish, Royal Gramma, Pigmy Angel, Green Chromis, Firefish are awesome but I've never had luck with them. Provide hiding places and nice random flow, feed in different spots and introduce the weaker fish first to let them get established.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percula clowns are not so bad. Azure damsel or yellowtail damsel (least aggressive damsels), Cardinal Fish, Royal Gramma, Pigmy Angel, Green Chromis, Firefish are awesome but I've never had luck with them. Provide hiding places and nice random flow, feed in different spots and introduce the weaker fish first to let them get established.
All those are appropriate for a 25 gallon?! Wow I thought I was super limited that seems like a big list for saltwater nano

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other fish would you put into a 25 then
Neon Blue Goby
Possum Wrasse
Firefish (regular, purple, or helfrichi)
Yellow Watchman Goby / Pistol Shrimp combo
Royal Gramma
(the only one I don't currently have is the wrasse)

Remember that fish of similar body types and habitat preferences will compete with each other for real estate. Add the least aggressive fish first, working your way to most aggressive. My list above is in that order.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back