Stock list

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So for my first tank (55g FOWLR) I am thinking of getting a yellowtail damsel, a pink head goby, and a long nosed hawkfish. I like the look of them all and as far as I have read none will attack each other (though I am a bit concerned that the goby is considered peaceful whole the other two are semi aggressive).

Does that look like a good list? Should there be more? I know to add them 1 at a time, but is there a specific order to add them in (I read hawkfish can get territorial and should be added last)?

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So for my first tank (55g FOWLR) I am thinking of getting a yellowtail damsel, a pink head goby, and a long nosed hawkfish. I like the look of them all and as far as I have read none will attack each other (though I am a bit concerned that the goby is considered peaceful whole the other two are semi aggressive).

Does that look like a good list? Should there be more? I know to add them 1 at a time, but is there a specific order to add them in (I read hawkfish can get territorial and should be added last)?
GOOD BOOK BY SCOTT W. MICHAEL...GUIDE TO MARINE FISH...GIVES ALL THE IN'S AND OUTS OF 100 FISH...AS FAR AS THE GOBIE IS CONCERNED, SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM AT ALL...ITS THE DAMSEL THAT WOULD CONCERN ME...THEY CAN BE WOLVES...IF THEY LATCH ON TO A FISH...THEY JUST KEEP COMING...NOTHING MORE TERRITORIAL...THERE ARE PROBABLY WAYS TO MAKE IT WORK...BUT I FAILED MISERABLY WITH THEM...WOULDN'T TRY AGAIN...;Pompus

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are definitely more peaceful and I would definitely add them first and let them settle in before the damsel. Long nose hawks can also occasionally be aggressive but I'd be more worried about the damsel. You'll want to make sure you have lots of hiding spots. Also you don't really have any open water swimming fish, the goby will stay at the bottom, the Hawkfish will perch on rocks, and damsels will usually be close to rocks. So I'd recommend another fish like a flame angel or fairy wrasse that will swim around more. :)

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 damsels in my Fowler right now and they are the only thing in there. They are honestly some mean butt fish. I'm in the process of setting up a second tank just to put those little turds in. Now I just gotta fight the battle of getting them out of my tank so I can start putting the fish I actually want in there.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list keeps changing. I went with the flame hawk fish very cool fish with personality. Like everyone said skip the damsel Firefish are nice a lot seem to like the yellow assessor

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I read the damsel can be aggressive but didn't realize how much lol. I will put a pin in that idea then. The fairy wrasse is beautiful! Definitely will look more into them. I have seen the firefish before and really like them as well.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels are very entertaining fish. I like them because they are really active and they are outgoing. But they are pretty aggressive with each other so I can guarantee they would pounce on a "stranger". My wife bought 4 of them and put in there because she was tired of it being empty. She was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time so I couldn't be upset about it really. She really ment well and got the as a gift so I wouldn't dare hurt her feelings

Last edited:

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a damsel, I would add it last so that she can't claim the whole tank as hers

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are definitely more peaceful and I would definitely add them first and let them settle in before the damsel. Long nose hawks can also occasionally be aggressive but I'd be more worried about the damsel. You'll want to make sure you have lots of hiding spots. Also you don't really have any open water swimming fish, the goby will stay at the bottom, the Hawkfish will perch on rocks, and damsels will usually be close to rocks. So I'd recommend another fish like a flame angel or fairy wrasse that will swim around more. :)
JUST LOSE THE DAMSEL...YOU WILL GET GREY HAIR AND THEY ARE ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OUT...;Rage

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST LOSE THE DAMSEL...YOU WILL GET GREY HAIR AND THEY ARE ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OUT...;Rage
I'm not sure why you're yelling at everyone lol.

As for OP, what about some clowns? They're in the same family as damsels except, you know, cute.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damsel species are very aggressive, some aren't that bad. Yellowtails aren't that bad, but azure damsels are more peaceful, and more colorful. If adding a damsel, it should be added last.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back