Stocking 36x24 reef tank

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been daydreaming about the upcoming move and possibility of an upgrade to a 36x24 or 48x24 with the first option being more viable. Anyways, I started to put together a potential list for the 36x24 reef and would like to hear opinions pros and cons to the stocking plan so far.

• Purple Fire fish (own)
  • Yellow watchman goby (own)
  • Pink-Streaked Wrasse (own)
  • McCosker Flasher Wrasse - really like this guy
  • Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - I like this one and been researching
  • Blenny - Not set on it but can see potential, somewhat utilitarian
  • Cherub - Not set on this one either but like the movement it adds to the tank

Some alternatives
  • Clown Fairy Wrasse - read mix as being peaceful but also turning aggressive also mix review on size tank too (can I swap for Cherub?)
  • Naoko's Wrasse - really like this one but read it need 48" swim (the color contrast is fire) (Not suitable for this tank size? Can I swap for Blenny and Cherub?)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, all good fish. Midas blenny is a personal favorite. Haven't owned a Cherub but I love angels and have four in my tank. An alternative is a dwarf flame or coral beauty angelfish. Flame hawkfish is also another one with great personality, Banggai cardinals are one of those fish that just kind of "lurk" out in the open, an Azure damsel is also a fairly calm and colorful fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been daydreaming about the upcoming move and possibility of an upgrade to a 36x24 or 48x24 with the first option being more viable. Anyways, I started to put together a potential list for the 36x24 reef and would like to hear opinions pros and cons to the stocking plan so far.

• Purple Fire fish (own)
  • Yellow watchman goby (own)
  • Pink-Streaked Wrasse (own)
  • McCosker Flasher Wrasse - really like this guy
  • Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - I like this one and been researching
  • Blenny - Not set on it but can see potential, somewhat utilitarian
  • Cherub - Not set on this one either but like the movement it adds to the tank

Some alternatives
  • Clown Fairy Wrasse - read mix as being peaceful but also turning aggressive also mix review on size tank too (can I swap for Cherub?)
  • Naoko's Wrasse - really like this one but read it need 48" swim (the color contrast is fire) (Not suitable for this tank size? Can I swap for Blenny and Cherub?)
The naoko is in my experience one of the smaller fairy wrasses. I would actually replace the flasher with this guy, flashers ideally need a 4’x2’ tank to really spread their fins IMO. The rest should be alright though! Just be weary with the Angel and blenny around coral. If you grab an Escenius blenny, avoid Lineatus and Bicolor. These are rather likely to nip at SPS colonies, now a colony won’t be affected but a drag or small colony could be affected.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I been researching more and found a chat that show the different Fairy (Cirrhilabrus) along with their respective tank size and aggressiveness. I will dig deeper and also might skip the blenny and still unsure about the dwarf angel. For the tank I'm thinking going softy (leather, toadstool and mushroom) at least initially but I like classic sps, green slimer and plating montipora so those are a possibility later on. Still in early planning phase so lots can change but thanks for the input. I will look into those recommendations.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back