Stocking list 60 gallon cube

TLECLUYSE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on my fish stocking list on the 60 cube. The family has came up with this list. Would all these likely be ok together? Is there a particular order they should be added? (Mandarin will Likely be last to make sure I have enough pods)
Perfer them to not eat my corals either lol

Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
Mandarin goby
Flame hawk
Flame angel
Pom Pom crab
Blood shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Bangui cardinal 2

Thank you!

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on my fish stocking list on the 60 cube. The family has came up with this list. Would all these likely be ok together? Is there a particular order they should be added? (Mandarin will Likely be last to make sure I have enough pods)

Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
Mandarin goby
Flame hawk
Flame angel
Pom Pom crab
Blood shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Bangui cardinal 2

Thank you!
Seems like a decent list. The flame lame angel will be hit or miss with certain corals. In my experience, clowns should be added first. The cardinal is the easiest fish and can be added at anytime. I would add the tang last, as they can be territorial sometimes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
Mandarin goby
Flame hawk
Flame angel
Pom Pom crab
Blood shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Bangui cardinal 2

Thank you!
What are the dimensions?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tang and 3 too many otherwise. Cube tank would be awful for any Tang.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
Mandarin goby
Flame hawk
Flame angel
Pom Pom crab
Blood shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Bangui cardinal 2

Thank you!
Rule out the Blue Spot Jawfish (These prefer cooler waters than most reefs can provide). 6 Line wrasses tend to become killers unless provided literal piles of rock (TONS of it). I’d rule out the flame Angel and go for a smaller one (Cherub or Flame Back). The flame hawk would have your inverts in constant hiding so I’d avoid that. The two clowns I would only go for one (They will eventually nip at you and I’m pretty sure you only want one fish biting you over territory). Ignore the tang (Too big too fast unfortunately), these are also HIGHLY active swimmers and need Atleast 6’ if not 7-8’ of tank.
So that leaves you with:
- One Clown
- Mandarin
- Cherub/African Flame Back Angel
- Pom Pom Crab
- All the Shrimp
- 2x Bangaii cardinal
- A jawfish (Pearly’s stay smaller and can cope in warm reef water but I’d research the genus and find one you settle with I’ll add a photo of my old pearly Jawfish I had)

If you want a wrasse then I’d go for a pink streak (Same job as a 666 wrasse but not as much aggression).
My old pearly jawfish just for some ideas (First photo was in the store and second was in my old tank)
08F67654-EF1D-4C6A-8997-13455FB756B4.jpeg
67E107CA-ED00-4367-B506-42753A227BF6.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
Mandarin goby
Flame hawk
Flame angel
Pom Pom crab
Blood shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Blue spot jaw fish
Bangui cardinal 2

Thank you!
imageproxy.php.gif

Yellow is unlikely to be happy in a 24" cube. I had a 60 cube before with a Tolmini and it was too small, its pretty depressing to see the fish just swim in a tight circle because it has nowhere else to move.

Flame angel is likely to go after corals, and be a regret.

Blue spot Jawfish is a colder water species, and they generally do not last long at higher (reef) temperatures.

Sixline wrasse are known to be aggressive jerks, but they seem to be hit or miss. A Four Line looks similar and have a bit better temperament.

Other than that looks good!

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the jawfish and the flame angel this can work. Be prepared to loose your crab with the flame hawk. Make sure you shrimp are big enough.

YT is ok as long as you have aspiration if upgrading and you got smaller. I’d add that as one of the first fish after your tank has properly cycled if you’re experienced or in the second wave if you’re newer. They won’t be overly aggressive to non-Tangs

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say 3 too many?
Just not a fan of over crowding. I have a 90g with 8 fish. Personal preference though as are most opinions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not a fan of over crowding. I have a 90g with 8 fish. Personal preference though as are most opinions.
I agree with it being personal opinion, I always have what most would call over stocked but to me it’s more like a reef. Size also matters if it’s too many or not - I usually stick to 1-2” fish in my nano but have 4-9” max size fish in my 4’ tank. My nano is at 6 fish and will probably stay at that but maybe different fish throughout the years, my 4’ is at 11 possibly soon 13 fish.

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't keep the tang in that tank and would avoid the jawfish and hawkfish (if you plan on fancy inverts) for the reasons listed above. I've kept flame angels who never nipped but every fish is different and it just takes a usually well behaved fish one nip to realize what they've been missing out on. As long as you have a lot of hiding places, the wrasse will be happy. If you do choose to stock with the list you provided, keep everyone well fed and make sure you have a lid on the tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back