Stocking new tank question

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new 100G tank going. It will be an acro and chalice/favia tank only. And it will be bare bottom so no sand. Looking for suggestions on fish and how many I can add.

My current choices are:

Anthias (7-11)
Springers damsels (20) - cause they go for FWs
Tomini tang (1) already have in my frag tank to move into DT
Lamarck or swallowtail angel (2-3)

I love wrasses but not sure I can add them with no sand. Maybe some flashers? Also don't want any large fish so big tangs and angels out.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want 35 fish in 100 gallons of water?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially misread your post as having a 10 gallon I was like friend, thats almost 10 gallons of fish alone, I don't think water even fits in anymore, haha! I would recommend a lower number of anthias and damsels, unless you've got a killer fuge with lots of chaeto. All depends on how much maintenance you'd like to do! Post pictures when you're set up, I'd love to see your final picks!

OP
OP
bucfan

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is 100 gallons. I have another 205 gallon DT that is heavily stocked with 4 tangs (now huge!), foxface and bunch of wrasses that create a ton of nutrients. Don't want to make the same mistake. I will not have a fuge on this tank but am putting in a bigger skimmer than the tank needs and going bare bottom.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?
What anthias are you thinking?

I like what you picked. I would probably cut the damsels down to 10 or so. # of anthias will depend on which species and tank's dimensions.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new 100G tank going. It will be an acro and chalice/favia tank only. And it will be bare bottom so no sand. Looking for suggestions on fish and how many I can add.

My current choices are:

Anthias (7-11)
Springers damsels (20) - cause they go for FWs
Tomini tang (1) already have in my frag tank to move into DT
Lamarck or swallowtail angel (2-3)

I love wrasses but not sure I can add them with no sand. Maybe some flashers? Also don't want any large fish so big tangs and angels out.
I personally would recommend to lower the amount of fish by about 50%, and also you arent adding all these at the same time right?. Id add maybe just afew anthias, a few damsels, and like 2 angels and tang. If I had a tank that big id put 1 mandarin pair, 1 clown pair, and 1 tang.

OP
OP
bucfan

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?
What anthias are you thinking?

I like what you picked. I would probably cut the damsels down to 10 or so. # of anthias will depend on which species and tank's dimensions.
50 X 19 X 24H
not totally decided on which anthias, prob Bartletts or Evansi

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like a cool unique tank stocking

the overall number is probably a bit high, but it's not like you're tossing in a bunch of huge fish. i'd personally try to do a whole mix of chrysiptera damsels, that'd look cool. springers/azure/talbot/rollandi/starcki/tricincta/arnazae/parasema/traceyi all in one tank would be pretty sweet, albeit idk how they'd all get along :D. probably a cichlid type aggression spreading out type deal, but no real idea

idk how effective springers really are at picking at flatworms tho. i've had a single springer for 2+ years and i've never seen that dude picking at the rocks, although i don't think i've ever had flatworms. my other benthic fish are constantly picking at the rocks, i've just never seen that one do it. i know a lot of people say they do it so there's probably something to that, just seems odd i've never seen mine even look at the rocks. but maybe mine is just lazy or the halichoeres wrasses i have beat him to the punch

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 X 19 X 24H
not totally decided on which anthias, prob Bartletts or Evansi

Bartlett are supposedly tough to keep in a group. They are among the most hardy anthias, but the downside is the aggressive males. Maybe a big group of them will help. I'm not sure about Evansi.

I would probably choose the swallow tail angel over the Lamarck, since they stay a little smaller.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back