Stocking question for kids predator tank.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon I set up for the kids. It will be a fowlr Predator tank. Here are the 3 fish they have picked that they would like in the tank. I have zero experience with what they have picked. Are these compatible?
1 Huma Huma Trigger
1 Niger Trigger
1 Porcupine Puffer

Long term I plan to have my 400 done by next summer which would move these guys to my current 240 in the next 9 months if all goes well.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the humu with any other trigger is iffy. Maybe if the niger is let to establish first it "might" be ok. No real way to know as each fish is different. The puffer should be fine with either. I've never had a porcupine puffer but of the other puffers I've had my humu was ok with them.

Just my opinion.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any of those fish in a 75g. The Niger and puffer will outgrow that tank within a year, if not by size, by aggression. I dont advise it but if you do have a plan to rehome the picasso, a small one could live in that tank for a few years, they do grow slowly. I say a plan to rehome, because I have many resources to rehome fish, and many times grow up triggers for the expressed purpose, so that may be an option for you. But I would not even try the other 2 in that tank.

Take a look at dwarf angels, a couple of variety of small tangs, some blennys, hawkfish, all of these can be on the aggressive "predator" type fish. Maybe e en a dwarf golden eel.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put any of those fish in a 75g. The Niger and puffer will outgrow that tank within a year, if not by size, by aggression. I dont advise it but if you do have a plan to rehome the picasso, a small one could live in that tank for a few years, they do grow slowly. I say a plan to rehome, because I have many resources to rehome fish, and many times grow up triggers for the expressed purpose, so that may be an option for you. But I would not even try the other 2 in that tank.

Take a look at dwarf angels, a couple of variety of small tangs, some blennys, hawkfish, all of these can be on the aggressive "predator" type fish. Maybe e en a dwarf golden eel.
As stated in my original post they will be moved within 9 months to my 240 gallon that’s been running for years as my 400 will done by summer the latest. If everyone feels 9 months is still pushing it I can prioritize a bit and move the 400 up to mid-late spring. The 400 should be done and all equipment in by late February. I just wanted 4-5 months of time sitting full of live rock and to verify there’s no cycle before moving everything from the 240 over. The 400 will be a heavy SPS tank so I planned to go super slow.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in my original post they will be moved within 9 months to my 240 gallon that’s been running for years as my 400 will done by summer the latest. If everyone feels 9 months is still pushing it I can prioritize a bit and move the 400 up to mid-late spring. The 400 should be done and all equipment in by late February. I just wanted 4-5 months of time sitting full of live rock and to verify there’s no cycle before moving everything from the 240 over. The 400 will be a heavy SPS tank so I planned to go super slow.

Sorry, I missed the last line, wondering how I missed that. In that case it would depend on the size you acquire. Don't be surprised to get a full inch of growth from the niger in that time, they grow pretty rapidly to about 6" or so before they start to slow down. I would say if you kept them in the 3" range you would be ok. I've never met a porc puffer that wasn't a nipper when they got to 4-5", especially if kept in a smaller tank; another one that I would try and get a smaller specimen. Picasso's are definitely one of the more laid back triggers, and as i stated before, some may say they grow painfully slow, so not as as much as a concern as the rest.

Another note, I have seen all the fish you are talking about, snap sps corals like kindling, chew up and spit out stuff just for something to do. Some may report success, but that is mostly short lived, and when they are very small. We had a very popular lfs around advising on triggers in a reef, years later many have still not forgiven them. That's if I'm following you correctly, or are they going to the 240g as a fowlr.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 75 they will start in will be a fish only and I plan to move all the corals from the 240 into the 400. Thank you for all the work do on the choices the kids have made. I may try to sway them from the Niger Trigger. Lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nigers are one fish that will truly get to almost wild size in a tank. I commonly see them a full 12", and they are tall as well and grow pretty fast. Many times when you see a fish listed at 12" they will get to 7=9" tops, not this guy. My 2" niger grew to 6" in 2 years, no exaggeration.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nigers are one fish that will truly get to almost wild size in a tank. I commonly see them a full 12", and they are tall as well and grow pretty fast. Many times when you see a fish listed at 12" they will get to 7=9" tops, not this guy. My 2" niger grew to 6" in 2 years, no exaggeration.
Wow!!!! I think it would be best that the wife and I talk them out of the Niger then as that’s still pretty big for my 240. Heck my Sailfin Tang is only 7” ish now and I fell bad for it in my 240 then again a have 300+ lbs of live rock in it right now.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98F4497D-060E-4E1E-B1DF-39E1327F5504.jpeg
My Niger is a jerk to everyone in the tank, he’s in a 240. Others are black dogface puffer, clown trigger, purple tang, 2’ snowflake eel, and going in tonight after feeding, an Aussie harlequin tusk.

Notice the sand in the pic. From the second I do a water change he reorganizes the sand. I’m talking the entire tank.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids made their choices today.
We bought 4 fish in total and only brought 2 home as my lfs said the 1.5” Huma Huma Trigger and the 2” Porcupine Puffer needed 1 more week before he would allow them out of his QT. We brought home a 1.5” Panther Grouper ( with the understanding of my son it will be moved into the 400 not the 240 so it can be with my other groupers next spring) and a 1” Jewel Damsel.
Here’s the two babies the kids got today. I’ll post the Trigger and Puffer pics next weekend we he calls and says they are ready. I’ll have my UV sterilizer running by then as well so I’m good with it.
4E940199-464B-4508-9DFA-827C5268FCA0.jpeg
8951F294-4DC7-4B61-8F69-14F624D6F7DA.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back