Yellow wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Solarensis wrasse
Possum wrasse
Black ocellarus clown
Yellow watchman goby
Neon goby
IMG_20170319_193821.jpg

Excuse the drips, was acclimating and changing water.

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came to say this. Add them if it doesn't work out with the mandarin. I'd do clowns first since they're hardy and then probably firefish. They're incredibly shy so I'd do my best to add it before the clowns become too territorial. I'm working on adding a firefish now and have been debating on putting my clowns into the QT for a bit just to give her a shot at getting situated.

EDIT: Also, check out CJs Aquarium on YouTube. His JBJ45 was gorgeous before he decided to get a bigger tank.

I was actually thinking about adding the firefish 1st as well. I have been told they can be delicate fish and as you said rather shy. Adding them first will more than likely help them survive.

As for CJ's Aquarium, yeah his tank was on point. Aside for the few live stock issues he had that 45 was one of the best I had seen. He started his JBJ 45 series right before I bought the tank.

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current JBJ 45 stock list:
Melanurus wrasse
Yellow wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Solarensis wrasse
Possum wrasse
Black ocellarus clown
Yellow watchman goby
Neon goby
IMG_20170319_193821.jpg

Excuse the drips, was acclimating and changing water.

Lots of wrasses in that tank, haha. Your rockscape looks great. Corals like nice and healthy.

What are you running for filter media?

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a JBJ 45 Gallon that I'm proude of. I changed mine to have a sump in the stand
Now I am overstocked but first off if you want your daughter to be riveted to the tank
Look at this video of my diamond watchmen
Feel free to ask any questions, PM me is fine

Oh be careful on the size of the fish. I lost a six line wrasse it was so small that it got caught in the little holes at the bottom of the false back

I have in my tank
a flame angel
A yellow tang
Two clowns
Two firefish
A yellow Goby
The diamond watchmen Goby
Two pajam cardinal fish
And two blue chromic
All are small the watchman is the largest in the tank

Everything is fine but if all you have is the straight 45 I would wait till it's really establish have tons of live rock
Or watch my videos and add a sump too
See my signature line for the vids
But here a link to the watchman

Whoa that a lot of fish. Im setting up a 45 and didn’t even things of a tang as anything below 75 you get yelled at for keeping them .

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t have that many anymore but I still have the yellow tang and he‘s still going strong. It seems he loves the the lower part of the tank always has among the rock, has never cared for the open water

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t have that many anymore but I still have the yellow tang and he‘s still going strong. It seems he loves the the lower part of the tank always has among the rock, has never cared for the open water
I’m setting up a 45 and my kids were asking about stocking options.
I currently have 2 clowns (3-4 inches total) a wrasse (1.5 inch) and a bicolor blenny (2inch). Don’t want to over due it but was looking at options. Obviously they’d love a tang but once it got bigger I won’t have a place for it if it wants out.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 45 and my kids were asking about stocking options.
I currently have 2 clowns (3-4 inches total) a wrasse (1.5 inch) and a bicolor blenny (2inch). Don’t want to over due it but was looking at options. Obviously they’d love a tang but once it got bigger I won’t have a place for it if it wants out.
Well I would first think about not using the glass tops but a net top you can get them from bulk reef supply.

second about the tang, mine is about three and half inches now
but I have a heavily filtered tank
i changed my tank to have a sump inside the stand too.
here is a picture of my tank with the tang taken last week
C8F4635C-16E7-471B-A9C4-7DC9C1FCB884.jpeg

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would first think about not using the glass tops but a net top you can get them from bulk reef supply.

second about the tang, mine is about three and half inches now
but I have a heavily filtered tank
i changed my tank to have a sump inside the stand too.
here is a picture of my tank with the tang taken last week
C8F4635C-16E7-471B-A9C4-7DC9C1FCB884.jpeg
Why net over glass?

when you say heavily filtered what do you have? I have a sump with a nice skimmer for my setup.
Thanks for helping me out

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why net over glass?

when you say heavily filtered what do you have? I have a sump with a nice skimmer for my setup.
Thanks for helping me out
You have a 45 gallon AIO right? That means your sump is in back of false wall right?
with my sump I don’t have 45 gallons I have a additional 20 gallons inside the stand where my skimmer is
a glass top holds in condensation, and HEAT

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 45 gallon AIO right? That means your sump is in back of false wall right?
with my sump I don’t have 45 gallons I have a additional 20 gallons inside the stand where my skimmer is
Nah, I have what I think is an aquaon 45 gallon straight (dimensions match 45 per their site, bought it from someone on marketplace) with sump underneath. I don't know how many gallons I can keep in my sump

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, my tank is in the basement where it remains cold. I was more worried about losing water through condensation then storing heat on my current tank.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined R2R not to long ago and I’m awful at forum posts; so please bear with me.

Starting my journey into the saltwater hobby with a JBJ 45 and 40lbs of Dry Live Pukani. All of my research has given me enough information to fill a few notebooks and I’m still left with a MILLION questions.

Now it’s time to take a real look at my stock list and make some decisions. I have narrowed me stock list and I am turning to y’all for some support/help. The list may seem a bit ambitious in areas but with some help it might just work out after all.

I’m looking for advice and experiences of the sort, anything will help. Discussion’s on what will have potential pairing issues. Will they this issues be sort or long term, what will compete for food (pods, algae, etc.), i.e. a Mandarin and Wrasse, when to introduce what, substations if any and overall conversation about the choices below.

Here is a bit of information on some of the choices. Clowns are a must, I love them, my daughter loves them and I also love hearing her say “Neno” every time she sees a clownfish. The Flam Angel, has been kept in a mixed reef, in this very tank successfully but with caution. For me only time will tell to be honest. The Gramma and Firefish I enjoy both their colors and their movement in the water.

First, the only reason I have a wrasse on the list was because one of my LFS owners asked me “why no wrasse on your list?” then rattled off of this info of how beneficial they are. In all honesty my end game a year or so from now is the Mandarin, that was why I left them off the list. However, I am entreating the thought of a wrasse for the reasons the LFS owner mentioned; pest control.

Second, I wanted more yellow in the tank. I asked around and was pointed in the direction of the Yellow Candy Hogfish. My only concern would be the Gramma and Hogfish could have issues due to color. Haven’t seen very much info on this guy other than one person stating they can be jerks once they are settled in.

Last, the Diamond Spot Goby is not a must. Depending on my sand depth and tank size I am hesitant with this guy because I know it’s a high likely hood he’d starve. That I definitely do not want. However, I’d like to have something that turns the sand and keeps it clean.

Suggestions about adding or replacing different fish would be great. A fresh look is always nice to get more perspective on things.

Stock list (no particular introduction order)
Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish x2
Flame Angel x1
Royal Gramma x1
Firefish, Purple x1
Green Mandarin x1 (introduction will be 1 to 1.5 years after the tank is up on and running)

*Yellow Candy Hogfish (Will forgo for the Yellow Wrasse) x1
*Diamond Spot Gobby x1
*Some type of Wrasse (Leopard, Potters or Yellow) x1

Stock I took off the list include,
Regular Firefish
Blackcap Basselet
Potters Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Even looked at a blenny (was afraid it would not have an adequate food source after a month or so)
You might find this helpful:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hmm no your Diamond watchmen Goby WILL NOT DIE, they eat just about anything and your daughter will love him just as much if not more as Nemo.
although you are right about the depth of your sand. Two to three inches should be good. The mandarin unless you get him already acclimated to eating other foods than just copepods will starve a lot faster than the Diamond watchman goby.
whatever you do, do not get a six line wrasse although a beautiful they are bully’s
mostly against other wrasse but sometimes against other fish.

be Careful about the angelfish on size Ask your Your getting them from if you can return any fish for exchange or credit if they get too big for your tank.

you always hear different things about keeping the number and size of fish.
some say 1 inch per gallon? Others say otherwise. It’s all filtration
I say it’s is about filtration and size you need to keep your fish small in that tank

just remember be patient your tank isn’t going anywhere for while
coming here is a great start read read, and take everyone’s word and put them all together, combine them and take the best out it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back