Stocking

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two clown fish eight hermit crabs one snail one goniopora and one clove Polyp in a 24 gallon tank no lid. Any stocking ideas for fish, inverts, corals etc…Thanks!

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! here are some of my favorite nano fish

- gobies
- cardinalfish
- blennies
- basslets
- peaceful damsels
- chromis
- pink streak or possum wrasse
- dartfish
- orchid dottyback

all of those are usually peaceful and any of them should be good in your tank :) you could probably have 2 or 3 more fish depending on what you choose and your filtration

as for inverts, i'd recommend a more varied clean up crew. i would get some astrea or trochus snails to clean your glass, nassarius snails or a conch for your sandbed, and maybe an urchin for general algae clean up.

and for corals it depends. what types of corals do you want to keep? do you want to have to dose? do you want easy corals?

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! here are some of my favorite nano fish

- gobies
- cardinalfish
- blennies
- basslets
- peaceful damsels
- chromis
- pink streak or possum wrasse
- dartfish
- orchid dottyback

all of those are usually peaceful and any of them should be good in your tank :) you could probably have 2 or 3 more fish depending on what you choose and your filtration

as for inverts, i'd recommend a more varied clean up crew. i would get some astrea or trochus snails to clean your glass, nassarius snails or a conch for your sandbed, and maybe an urchin for general algae clean up.

and for corals it depends. what types of corals do you want to keep? do you want to have to dose? do you want easy corals?
I’d prefer calls where I don’t have to go if that’s at all possible, I’m going today to get a tiger conch and an urchin would be absolutely awesome

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals where I don’t have to dose*
tiger conchs are amazing. i love mine :)

pincushion or tuxedo urchins would probably be a good bet for your tank size.

and for that you'd probably be looking at mostly soft corals. my favorites are zoanthids, rhodactis and ricordea mushrooms, leather corals, green star polyps if they are isolated on a rock, and maybe even a stony coral or two like a duncan should be ok with just water changes if you only have 1 or 2.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are also good, being one of the only inverts to eat the dreaded bubble algae...can get mean to other inverts though.
Agree about the shrimp goby pair.
Basslets are a good option too. Royal gramma are very peaceful and have a beautiful purple and yellow color. Firefish are another popular choice.
Tailspot or bicolor blenny eat some algae and are supposedly really fun to keep.

For corals, I agree with the above. I’d say you could also try your luck with frogspawn, favia, and trumpets for some easy lps (once the tank has matured a bit more).

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always enjoyed the goby/pistol shrimp pair for a small tank. The shrimp digs a hole in the sand and the goby watches over the shrimp.
Pom Pom crabs are super interesting too for a small tank.
Aqua splendor on YouTube has an awesome video on his pistol/goby combo it’s so cool

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: So Yesterday I went to the LFS I picked up one tiger conch, three zebra turbo snails and a sand sifting starfish I also picked up a 7.7 pound live rock it had a bunch of feather duster’s on it and a stomatella snail

Attachments

• 0B415E29-8B78-474D-B62E-4B478345F6C4.jpeg
    0B415E29-8B78-474D-B62E-4B478345F6C4.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5B569D6D-112C-4250-853F-C99FF82101E3.jpeg
    5B569D6D-112C-4250-853F-C99FF82101E3.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 30

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back