Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

BRS

Gundy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
We live in Utah and put in a Generac about a year ago that powers our whole house. I know in Utah, the wait is about 9 months to get one installed. Even a year go after we ordered ours, we had to wait 6 months to get ours installed.

I haven’t set up my new reef tank yet but I am assuming that when the generator kicks on after a power outage, I won’t have to do anything with the reef equipment or be concerned?

spacedcowboy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I live in San Jose. I looked into a generator, but it's just not ever going to be permitted, and I happen to have a neighbor who takes perverse pleasure in calling code compliance out on anyone around the place. I've had compliance come out before now when an electrician's van is parked outside... The problem is the noise-level, the city insists on a minimum of 70' in any direction from the generator to get acceptable noise levels. My lot is pretty big at ~10k sq.ft in San Jose, but that's only ~140 x ~70. Basically there's no way, unless you have acres of land, that they'll let you install one :(

I pointed out that it was for backup only (the regs are written with the idea that it's a permanent generator) but city hall wouldn't budge. I pointed out that in the event of a power-outage, my neighbors might be very keen on the generator if I threw a cord over the fence (apart from *that* guy, obviously). No way, says San Jose.

It doesn't help that in this Mecca of technology in Silicon Valley, the electrical infrastructure hasn't been upgraded since it was installed 50 or more years ago. If it rains (admittedly rare, here), power cut. If the wind blows too hard, power cut. You get the point.

So I went for Tesla power-walls. I have three of them, which gives me 24 hours of "we don't care, just keep using electricity as we normally do", or 48-64 hours of "just things like the fridge, tank, and a/c in summer". They come with an app that looks like the flux-capacitor out of Back To The Future, and you can see how energy is flowing into/out of the solar panels, the batteries, the grid, and the house.

The app also logs when you had an outage. My count so far this year is 23 times (just counted). Yeah. Most of those are short (< 30 mins) but one of them was ~30 hours. Others have been 12-20 hours. It's really nice to have someone knock on the door to ask how come your lights are on, and you haven't even realized there's a power cut going on :)

IMG_4028.JPG

Last edited:
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
www.LeviathanAutomation.com