Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by HBK's Lagoon, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Neptune 555

Neptune 555 Active Member

What size tank and bioload lasted on a single air stone? I have battery powered pumps that auto start when power is out. I have always wondered how long that would keep my tank alive? I have a 100 gallon with 2 tangs / pygmy angel / large wrasse / blue spotted puffer / 3 chromis.

2. Neptune 555

Neptune 555 Active Member

I am having generac come to our house in 2 weeks... is that an auto start generator? My fear is power out when I am on vacation. If home I can start my generator. If not home it will be a sad story.

3. fishybizzness

fishybizzness Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

You can buy them either with or without an automatic transfer switch. I bought mine with a 200 amp transfer switch. It is a lot cheaper to buy them together as the switch by itself is almost $1000. When the power goes off, the generator starts up about 10 seconds later. It warms up for about 10 more seconds and then the switch kicks in and powers the whole house. I have my apex plugged into a ups so nothing really loses power as the ups can run no problem for the 20 seconds it takes the generator to kick in. 1545942665497.jpeg 1545942692306.jpeg

4. ericwithac

ericwithac Member Build Thread Contributor

Great thread! Any suggestions on what battery packs are best/easiest to plug a heater and an air stone into? I guess some air stones are battery powered? Thanks!

5. Brad Shook

Brad Shook Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I made one of these for all of my nano tanks,

Parts list:
    Emergency light
    Small dc air pump

Replace one or both of the lights with the air pump.

Draft saved Draft deleted