Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, my 13.5 nano is small, but when I tested it during my install 2 weeks ago, it powered my 186GPH 8W Sicce return pump and a 50W heater for about 24 hours (tank has a lid, heater doesn't come on that often) with just a basic 1500VA/1000W UPS. If I don't run the heater, it'll last me about 36 hours.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
Hi, we have a whole house generator, with enough fuel for 16 days, and plenty more where that came from if need be. I also have a small generator to run the tank during the storm, as we don't run the main generator during the storm.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 k propane for the daytime and a 3000 Honda for at night. I live in the Caribbean and after last year you can't be too prepared!!
IMG_20170828_160454.jpeg
Yes the whole house generators are the best for Hurricanes, we have a 37KW for the house, and tank, to use after the storm.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your power gets knocked out at say 1am, how many hours can a mixed reef go without power? I have a generator but i wouldn't be excited about starting it at 3am. Do we have hours or is it less than that?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your power gets knocked out at say 1am, how many hours can a mixed reef go without power? I have a generator but i wouldn't be excited about starting it at 3am. Do we have hours or is it less than that?
Depends on the tank size and Bio load.

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, I just moved to a new house and one of the first things we did was get the generator installed into the panel. Now I need to upgrade my generator so I can run more of this house including AC to keep the tank cool in the summer.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the woods where this can and does happen once in a while for up to a couple days. I have an inverter on my FJ Cruiser which I have used in the past for emergencies, but we upgraded to an actual generator. It serves 2 purposes, freezer and tank. We have a ton of meat too valuable to spoil and the tank has reached a point where the inhabitants need insurance. Once you have so much invested you really need a generator.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I said previously, I live in the Caribbean and a generator is not a luxury, it's a necessity. We are just starting to feel the effects of the storm moving through and power already went out for the morning. When major storms affect us power can be out for months at a time. For Irma we didn't get power back until November. The ocean is not happy today!

15960295988271094752112909264434.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us in apartments & that can’t run gas generators, is this a good option for a generator replacement?

On a various 6 return pump, I believe this should get 4 hours.

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t read through the whole post, but what about a battery inverter. If you’re just running an air stone, and maybe a small fan. You mentioned frozen water but how will you keep that frozen when there’s a long term power outage? With hurricanes, it can be out for weeks. After Irma, it was out 9-15 days in the Naples area, depending on where you live. You can buy small propane generators that would easily run the tank, and don’t take up much space at all.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the power outage idea, pumps or airstones are essential, but let's not overlook buildup of nutrients /waste. My lfs recommends small water changes during the outage to help deal with this part and also add fresh oxygenated water.

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in hurricane alley, so a good generator was a no brainer for a reeftank. Luckly the one I bought will run the fridge and the tank no problem. I went with a good inverter, as most of this electronic stuff is super sensitive and realistically pure sine is the way to go.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inverter hybrid generator, a decent sized one. I am not worried about flow in the tank, but I am worried about heat. Southern Alabama is hot. There is no way a small air conditioner can cool my living room where my tank is. i wonder if a fan evaporating water would be enough if the power is out.

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurricane isaias caused a power outage for me. Lost my long nose hawk, coral beauty, bi color angel, and all my Xenia coral. I now have a generator that I can hook to my house and keep everything running. I can go days with out power personally, but I’ll make sure my generator will be running for my tanks.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those running waterfall algae scrubbers, if you have submersible lights then you can put the screen down low so a power outage and rising sump water will keep the growth alive...

fig6.JPG

fig7.JPG

fig8.JPG

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back