Stressed Midas Blenny

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ had a Midas Blenny in my previous tank and LOVED that fish, so I decided to get another one for my new tank. I️ picked up the fish from my LFS 4 days ago. At the store he was fairly active but still very shy. He looked looked stressed as his colors weren’t up to par, but he was breathing fine, eyes were nice and bright and he was nice and fat. I️ acclimated him to my tank and once I️ put him in he swam around for a min until he found a rock to hide in. Fast forward 4 days later... HE IS STILL THERE. In the same spot! I️ have not seen him swim at all and he is hiding out in different holes around the same rock. Currently he is under the rock just watching me stare at him. Lol.

He is eating.. as long and I️ put the food close to him.. I️ don’t see any spots on him, his eyes are still nice and bright and his breathing is good. His color has still not perked up though.

Is he maybe just a super shy fish? Is he just scared and stressed still? The last Midas I had a very active.

Not sure if I️ should just give him more time or come up with plan B.

The only other thing in the tank is 2 clowns, a Pom Pom crab and a bunch of snails. Water parameters are great.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him time. In all likelihood, he's out wandering the tank a bit more when you're not watching - because you're not watching. So long as he's eating and you see no signs of disease, he should adjust. You can try observing from farther away - your relatively giant face near the glass likely is not calming. ;-)

If you feel like you simply MUST do something, you can run the tank "dark" to help him acclimate a bit easier. Once he seems more comfortable, ramp the lights back up (dimming if you can; short light periods if not). Even more extreme than this would be to cover (with dark paper or the like) the sides of the tank (to reduce his viewable area). Note: I wouldn't do either of these myself, but they are options.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In mature, midas blennies associate with large shoals of lyretail anthias. So in captivity, they acclimate faster when there are plenty of other active fish out and about. Without other fish it takes longer for them to get comfortable. Just give it more time.

Back