View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my current Waterbox 90.3 (59.3g) stock is

2 black and white Ocellaris clowns
2 Springer Damsels
1 Striped Blenny

I have an indigo Dottyback in my Evo and am curious if you think the dottyback would get along with the blenny? It was previously with the clowns in the evo and was very peaceful.

Any advice as to future fish stocking ideas would also be awesome :D

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, how has it been keeping the blenny? I have seen them at Petco, and they have grown on me recently.
Do they hunt copepods and or graze on algae? I hope so, because I saw it is recommended to feed them multiple times a day.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, how has it been keeping the blenny? I have seen them at Petco, and they have grown on me recently.
Do they hunt copepods and or graze on algae? I hope so, because I saw it is recommended to feed them multiple times a day.
Great! He’s always on the move looking for something to eat. I feed multiple times a day, so he’s always fat. Btw, Petco is where I bought mine. Most, if not all are captive bred. Super fun fish to watch, especially when he wants to be cleaned by my sharknose goby.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! He’s always on the move looking for something to eat. I feed multiple times a day, so he’s always fat. Btw, Petco is where I bought mine. Most, if not all are captive bred. Super fun fish to watch, especially when he wants to be cleaned by my sharknose goby.
hmm ok. I will definitely get a sharknose goby! They are so cool to me! I really do not want to feed multiple times a day to keep nutrients down so maybe it is not the best choice. I do have a lot of pods, and a bit of algae so I am not sure yet if that is a fish I should get. However, purple firefish are recommended to be fed a couple times a day, and I only do once, and sometimes skip days here and there, and he has been unbelievably healthy. But I will not use that logic and automatically get the blenny. We'll see.
I want some sort of fish that will be enjoyable characters and be fairly hardy.
I like Dottybacks but I am a bit worried about aggression.
I also like Chalk Bass, but I feel like the ones that are sold are not aquacultured usually.
Assessors are cool but cost so much. So I don't know. If there are any other captive bred fish usually available I'm open to suggestions.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regardless of which fish you buy, I always advocate for multiple feeding a day. Don’t fear nutrients, just feed small portions and make sure you have good export. Striped blennies don’t eat algae, they are pretty much carnivores. They’ll hunt for pods, etc… Don’t starve fish because of nutrients, there are so many ways of controlling nutrients, that feeding fish shouldn’t be an issue. There are lots of small fish that are cool. I love wetmorella wrasses, any of the three will be great additions to your tank. Plenty of gobies, geometric hawkfish, etc. the list goes on.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of which fish you buy, I always advocate for multiple feeding a day. Don’t fear nutrients, just feed small portions and make sure you have good export. Striped blennies don’t eat algae, they are pretty much carnivores. They’ll hunt for pods, etc… Don’t starve fish because of nutrients, there are so many ways of controlling nutrients, that feeding fish shouldn’t be an issue. There are lots of small fish that are cool. I love wetmorella wrasses, any of the three will be great additions to your tank. Plenty of gobies, geometric hawkfish, etc. the list goes on.
I definitely agree, and think multiple feedings do provide a lot of good.
Yeah, I was not trying to starve the fish since firefish do fine with 1 feeding a day, but when I did I fed PE mysis pellets, or some selcon enriched frozen food. I only very occasionally would skip a day, and my firefish has never looked thin throughout me having him.
I made a couple mistakes early on in my tank, and overfed a lot.
So overtime there was always detritus, and I have been working to remove the detritus that have been in my tank for a while. But I definitely will feed more in the future with whatever fish I decide to get.
I would like a geometric hawfish, or other peaceful hawfish, but I have never seen a geometric in a store before.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back