Stubborn royal gramma

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m a new reefer and on this thread I’ll be discussing my 15 gallon QT system. Right now, I’ve got a young clown and a royal gramma in it with a standard HOB filter. I’ve got a piece of rock in there at the moment, because I’m not using any medication and since grammas are cave dwellers I wanted the new guy to feel safe. I put him in on Sunday, about four days ago. Since then, he has moved around caves in the rock and I haven’t seen him swimming freely. This isn’t out of the ordinary for royal grammas, especially ones newly added to the tank according to the research I’ve done online. However I haven’t gotten him to eat, probably because he’s in a cave and doesn’t know there’s feeding going on. My question is, is there any way I can entice him to eat? Like holding out some kind of frozen food in front of his cave or something along those lines? Also, how long should I wait until I should start being concerned with his not eating. Days? Weeks?

Thanks!
- Nicholas

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned, you can try to entice him with some live brine shrimp but I probably wouldn't be too worried just yet. They can easily go a week without eating. It's possible he is eating and you're just not seeing it, since he's staying in the rocks...

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ had the same thing happen. I️ didn’t see the fish eat for 1 week. I️ used to spot feed with lights dimmed out. They come around and next thing you know the gramma will be out.

I’d try garlic oil and soak frozen brine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine they often find irresistible. Soaking food in garlic guard or the like is also great advice.

OP
OP
P

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having food hit the flow causes it to move in a way that often gets a fish to give chase.

I also recommend deworming.
What do you reccomend for deworming? Something like prazipro? Also is this kind of medication harsh on fish, like is it something that would be a good idea to dose all new arrivals with regardless of suspicion of disease? I have heard of some reefers doing this.

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays hidden until feeding or something gets near it's "Caves" it has about three. Then it flys out and starts howling and acting all grumpy. Never attacks a fish, just tell them to get off his lawn.

It has grown to 2-3 times the size of my other fish. We named it Tank Boss

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back