Sudden, dramatic, ORP change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks, ORP has been averaging about 235. Today, I replaced the 3, Ehiem Jager heaters I was running (200w each) with 2, BRS titanium heaters (300w each). ORP instantly jumped to about 335. Unplug the heaters and ORP instantly drops back to 235. Install either heater and it goes back up (one or both heaters provide the same ORP value). I checked for stray voltage and have 0v measured without the heaters installed and 0v with the heaters installed (again, one or both heaters provide the same value). I get 2.5v from neutral to water. Nothing is on a GFCI. Everthing is plugged into a grounded 3 prong outlet. The only submerged, powered device in the setup is my skimmer (besides the heaters). No measurable stray voltage with just the skimmer running. ORP value doesn't change if the skimmer is plugged in or not.

Any ideas on what causes the change?

49864222866_7b27019855_h.jpg

Edit: same post added to BRS forum here.

Last edited:

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heaters. Without the heaters stray voltage is 0v with the heaters it's 2.5v. This is causing the ORP to spike.

I've heard reports and seen a few not so nice reviews on the BRS heaters.

Why may I asked that you replaces the 3 EBO Jager heaters? Were they working fine?

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heaters. Without the heaters stray voltage is 0v with the heaters it's 2.5v. This is causing the ORP to spike.

I've heard reports and seen a few not so nice reviews on the BRS heaters.

Why may I asked that you replaces the 3 EBO Jager heaters? Were they working fine?

Edited the original post. Ground to water I get 0v but neutral to water I get 2.5v with the heaters plugged in. Heaters were working fine, I wanted to run two heaters vs the three to open a relay and the 300w Jagers are too long to fit in my sump.

Edit: which isn't a surprise I guess since it acts as its own grounding probe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact BRS, they may know. Doesn’t look like a GHL issue.

I don't disagree but GHL [likely] knows their controller better than BRS knows their heater.

Last edited:

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue years ago with this and a GHL unit . After switching to GF-Signet orp , I have never had this issue . Orp when using GHL would spike when I turned on a metal halide lite over the aquarium. Also orp doesn't jump around like your changing a radio station. Just by plugging or unplugging a electrical device. This should not happen my issue with them never did get resolved . One thing they did recommend was a 3 prong power supply that didn't help at all . I hope they resolve your issue .

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I've heard reports and seen a few not so nice reviews on the BRS heaters...
The heaters or the controllers?

I've seen a few negative reviews on the controllers but not the heaters themselves.

I've read that the heaters are made by Schego, a well known high quality manufacturer in Europe, and the controllers are Inkbird.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen a few negative reviews on the controllers but not the heaters themselves.

I've read that the heaters are made by Schego, a well known high quality manufacturer in Europe, and the controllers are Inkbird.

I dont run the controllers, they're connected directly to the GHLs powerbars.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chris, the controller. Seems the temp varies to much. But if the OP is getting stray voltage only when the BRS heater is plugged in, I would tend to believe the heating units are also suspect.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, the controller. Seems the temp varies to much. But if the OP is getting stray voltage only when the BRS heater is plugged in, I would tend to believe the heating units are also suspect.

Not sure what issues people are having with maintaining temps but mine has never been problematic.

49864937841_f75f90cba2_h.jpg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason not to worry about the ORP reading. I have in on my APEX but really don't pay much attention to the regular daily swings.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what issues people are having with maintaining temps but mine has never been problematic.

49864937841_f75f90cba2_h.jpg
You can read the reviews posted on the BRS site.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can read the reviews posted on the BRS site.

Oh, the Inkbird. I thought you were talking about the GHL.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back