Suggestions for a fourth fish?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Max Nano that is not quite fully stocked w/fish yet. I've had my heart set on a pink-streaked wrasse and am planning to wait until spring to see if I can grab one locally. But I'd also love some other ideas I can turn to should the pink-streaked not work out.

This is what I have in there right now:
Tailspot Blenny
Ocellaris clown pair

Inverts:
One cleaner shrimp
Two feather dusters
Two scarlet hermits
A bunch of snails: Trochus, Nassarius, Cerith

Corals:
RN mostly softies, and a few LPS
Would not like to rule out having a few SPS in the future -- so no polyp-nipping fish

If not the pink-streaked, I'd like to add a different fish that is not too same-y to the blenny, would fit in well and be most likely to not cause trouble w/the other fish, inverts, or corals, and would be a good fit for the size of the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Max Nano that is not quite fully stocked w/fish yet. I've had my heart set on a pink-streaked wrasse and am planning to wait until spring to see if I can grab one locally. But I'd also love some other ideas I can turn to should the pink-streaked not work out.

This is what I have in there right now:
Tailspot Blenny
Ocellaris clown pair

Inverts:
One cleaner shrimp
Two feather dusters
Two scarlet hermits
A bunch of snails: Trochus, Nassarius, Cerith

Corals:
RN mostly softies, and a few LPS
Would not like to rule out having a few SPS in the future -- so no polyp-nipping fish

If not the pink-streaked, I'd like to add a different fish that is not too same-y to the blenny, would fit in well and be most likely to not cause trouble w/the other fish, inverts, or corals, and would be a good fit for the size of the tank.
Black clown goby - These do perch on acros so a small frag may not completely survive however, a colony will. Here’s my BCG in my Max Nano:
image.jpg

I’ve read that these guys do alright with non-Acropora SPS dominant tanks (This is my plan now I have this guy) so if you don’t want to sacrifice not having acropora then these may not be for you.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this because I have a few thoughts but am wanting to make the right decision...

After doing some research I've decided that dart fish are not right for me -- too similar in body shape to the TSB, and there is a risk of aggression from him b/c of that. I've also decided no clown gobies b/c they're known SPS-pickers.

I have a few Qs below:

Assuming I'm able to nab a pink-streaked in the spring:
Would the clown pair, TSB, and wrasse be my limit on fish? I assume a 5th small fish would be pushing it in a max nano?

Here are my ideas sans pink streaked, b/c if it becomes even harder to find I'm not going to keep waiting around:
Another possum wrasse -- yellow banded seem more available, or
Royal gramma, or
Mandarin goby

About a royal gramma:
I assume adding it last would mitigate aggression. Would I be okay in assuming it would most likely be fine w/the clowns and blenny? How about w/the cleaner shrimp?

About a 5th fish:
I've been toying w/the idea of a goby/pistol shrimp pair. But I've read a bunch of accounts of even the candy cane killing cleaner shrimp. My cleaner shrimp is a tank staple so I don't want to add anything that might hurt him. Would a goby/candy cane pistol shrimp pair be fine w/the cleaner shrimp?

My clowns and blenny are peaceful, and I don't want to rock that boat. The female clown shows minimal not atypical aggression to her mate from time to time but none to the blenny. The blenny is becoming a bit bitey as he matures -- he will occasionally swim over and nip on the female clown, which I find odd b/c she doesn't seem bothered in the least by it and just kinda shakes him away.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
firefish goby, banghai cardinal or flame angel

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy cane pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp and they seem fine.
One thing you might want to look at is where you would like this fish to spend most of its time. Near the bottom of the tank maybe a goby? Mid tank maybe a Firefish? I’m partial as I think the Helfrichi is a great looking fish. I also like basslets like a blackcap or swissgaurd?

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I was thinking if not the pink-streaked, then a possum wrasse or royal gramma or other basslet -- these fish would occupy more of the cave areas than the fish I have now do. The clowns and blenny are all over the tank, really, but not in the cave areas.

I've also considered firefish, but fear the blenny might be a bully to one b/c of the similar body shape.

As for the goby/shrimp pair I thought if I could swing a 5th fish in the max nano they would be fun to watch and would occupy the bottom of the tank. I might have gotten somewhat irrationally scared about the pistol w/the cleaner...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back