Suggestions for aquascping

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!! I was looking to get some opinions on my new tank and upcoming aquascape. I guess my tank would be considered more on the shallow size and to be honest that's what I was wanting. Tank dimensions are 48long x 18wide x 16high. 60 gallon display.

My last tank I wasn't not in love with my aquascape and since it was my first setup I really didn't know what I was doing. I did however do a lot of planning and playing with rocks beforehand and it still wasn't something I really liked. The man issue I had with it was coral placement. I felt like I didn't have enough places to put my corals and in turn most of them got placed on the sand bed.

Does anyone have any fanatic and awesome ideas for a tank this size? I am going to use dry rock. My goal is a mixed reef but heavy on the LPS.

Anyone willing to throw around some ideas with me?
ea55b9c5a69c55fdae1c432648f85008.jpg
de86e1aa26434fed8ae2e78d3c490916.jpg

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using dry rock have fun with your post. You have time and can try several different aquascapes before adding sand and water. Put the rock in multiple positions and ask for feedback. My only suggestions are: Keep the rocks off the back wall so it doesn't impede flow or trap detritus and make sure you can comfortably clean glass on all sides. Outside of that have fun and be creative.

OP
OP
NakiFantaki

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan! [emoji4] Some people really seem to have an eye for that kinda stuff though. I make jokes about how I'm surprised I ever passed kindergarten because I can't even make stick figures look nice! [emoji23]

I am going to use live sand so I once it's in the tank I'll have to settle on something. I think maybe I'll cut a piece of cardboard that is the size of the tank and play around with the rocks. I was really just trying to get tips on how to make it so I had nice little places for coral frags to grow out.

Lately I have been really into the minimalist look. Maybe 2 or 3 large islands. But then I worry I won't have enough rock space to place corals. Lol.

I have decided that I am going to let GSP grow all up and down the overflow.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is a weed. I wouldn't recommend it. Even on the overflow. Sounds like a good idea but isn't.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the sticky thread on tips and tricks for Aquascaping on this forum page. Then post picks for feedback

OP
OP
NakiFantaki

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is a weed. I wouldn't recommend it. Even on the overflow. Sounds like a good idea but isn't.

Different strokes for different folks buddy. I had it in my last tank and I loved it. I agree.. it is like a weed but with proper upkeep I think it's a beautiful addition to a reef tank. It's easy to keep its trimmed back and it doesn't pop up in other random places in the tank like Xenia does. I personally love it and wouldn't run a tank without at least a little of it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gsp is a weed. I prefer to think of it as a naturalized garden. It can be maintained safely.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to use the rule of thirds when designing. If done strategically and creatively, this can also add a sense of depth which is difficult in a tank as shallow and narrow/long as yours.

As for coral placement, there are many ways to make it really easy. Especially is your scaping with dry rock. Simply drill or chisel frag plug sized holes into the rocks anywhere you want. Chiseling and carving are better because they create very natural looking holes.

I'll post a pic of my fav tool for frag hole making as well as my favorite video related to frag mounting and scaping by melev, as soon as I find them...

OP
OP
NakiFantaki

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to use the rule of thirds when designing. If done strategically and creatively, this can also add a sense of depth which is difficult in a tank as shallow and narrow/long as yours.

As for coral placement, there are many ways to make it really easy. Especially is your scaping with dry rock. Simply drill or chisel frag plug sized holes into the rocks anywhere you want. Chiseling and carving are better because they create very natural looking holes.

I'll post a pic of my fav tool for frag hole making as well as my favorite video related to frag mounting and scaping by melev, as soon as I find them...

Thanks! That's a great idea. I never thought to drills holes in the rock for the plug posts.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frop used an app to draw out the tank with the thirds marked out for him. ( i use paper and crayon.)

The fun part is finding the parts and pieces to make what you drew.

OP
OP
NakiFantaki

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you started working on the scape yet? If you have show us what ya got.

My rock is soaking in RODI water at the moment. Lol... I got side tracked on another project. I will be drying it out in the few days and then I will play around with a scape. I also had neck surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm
Not supposed to be playing with "heavy" rocks... lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back