Suggestions for sump filtration.

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on what I should use for sumo filtration. I’m thinking about going with a simple setup of uv sterilizer refugium and chemiclean elite I think it was to start off with. Tank is still cycling. Throw any suggestions out please. Want to see what else I can do. The tank is a Red Sea reefer 350.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered if you would want a skimmer? You certainly don't need to have one, but in case that slipped your mind :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any suggestions on what I should use for sumo filtration. I’m thinking about going with a simple setup of uv sterilizer refugium and chemiclean elite I think it was to start off with. Tank is still cycling. Throw any suggestions out please. Want to see what else I can do. The tank is a Red Sea reefer 350.
Not entirely sure what you're asking - I assume you mean something in your sump that can filter your tank - as compared to filtering 'the sump itself'. Assuming that - I would get a skimmer. I have found UV - to be a hassle (especially given the space considerations with a Red Sea tank) - getting all the stuff out to clean it, etc is a major hassle (at least it was for me) - I just started trying chemipure blue - in my filter socks - it has not made a huge difference 'yet' - part of the answer depends on your bio load. The more you have - the more filtration you need. Good luck with your new tank

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, nice! Honestly, it seems like a good list. I'm a fan of adding equipment as the need arises, but if you really want to get ahead of the 8 ball, you can look and see if you would ever want to run something through a media reactor, compare the pros/cons of your refugium vs an algae turf scrubbers or cheato reactors, and lastly, see if you want some mechanical filtration such as filter socks/filter rollers.

Overall, it sounds like your going to be having a lot of fun with your tank :)

OP
OP
Jason23

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, nice! Honestly, it seems like a good list. I'm a fan of adding equipment as the need arises, but if you really want to get ahead of the 8 ball, you can look and see if you would ever want to run something through a media reactor, compare the pros/cons of your refugium vs an algae turf scrubbers or cheato reactors, and lastly, see if you want some mechanical filtration such as filter socks/filter rollers.

Overall, it sounds like your going to be having a lot of fun with your tank :)
Yes I will probably look into reactors as time passes. But i am really interested in those filter rollers. I’m just basing off of my nuvo 40 and what I have in it at the moment. Just keeping it simple seems to work best for me. But we shall see :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats going inthe tank? Fish only or corals too?
I always thought a uv sterilizer was run as a reaction to an outbreak.
There are some thoughts that tanks can be too clean. Some bacteria is good. Also the refugium may be enough to keep nitrates and phosphates in control vs chemipure if the fuge light is good ($60 pink spectrum hydroponic leds). What does the chemiclean do that the refugium doesn't? I took my filter sox out a year ago; got tired of changing, probably aren't necessary, and might be a nitrate source until changed.
Chemipure elite is gfo for phosphate control. Chemiclean is antibiotic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason23

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some thoughts that tanks can be too clean. Some bacteria is good. Also the refugium may be enough to keep nitrates and phosphates in control vs chemipure if the fuge light is good ($60 pink spectrum hydroponic leds). What does the chemiclean do that the refugium doesn't? I took my filter sox out a year ago; got tired of changing, probably aren't necessary, and might be a nitrate source until changed.
Good to know the differences in the chemiclen/pure line up. And nothings going on right now just in the process of cycling it. Been up for about 4 days now. Just want to get an idea of sump setups since this is my first tank with a sump. And for uv I run in my current tank and love the outcome of it. Water is super clear everything seems to be happy. Originally added it because of algae bloom. But kept it in even after and happy with it

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some run UV sterilizers 24/7. Some only run when there is an issue. Some never run them. There isn't a single "right"/"wrong" way- it just depends on your goal and your preferences.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some thoughts that tanks can be too clean. Some bacteria is good. Also the refugium may be enough to keep nitrates and phosphates in control vs chemiclean if the fuge light is good ($60 pink spectrum hydroponic leds). What does the chemiclean do that the refugium doesn't? I took my filter sox out a year ago; got tired of changing, probably aren't necessary, and might be a nitrate source until changed
Good to know the differences in the chemiclen/pure line up. And nothings going on right now just in the process of cycling it. Been up for about 4 days now. Just want to get an idea of sump setups since this is my first tank with a sump. And for uv I run in my current tank and love the outcome of it. Water is super clear everything seems to be happy. Originally added it because of algae bloom. But kept it in even after and happy with it
Does the uv sterilization break down organics, ie the yellowing compounds?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work way too many hours and am trying to run my tank with minimum maintenance. I have removed the socks and am trying to run a refugium in the same area. I have a skimmer, fuge, and a BRS carbon reactor in my sump with lots of room left over. The BRS160 uses a fuge with no other filtration. A big enough ball of chaeto does the trick. I hope it works. Only time will tell.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work way too many hours and am trying to run my tank with minimum maintenance. I have removed the socks and am trying to run a refugium in the same area. I have a skimmer, fuge, and a BRS carbon reactor in my sump with lots of room left over. The BRS160 uses a fuge with no other filtration. A big enough ball of chaeto does the trick. I hope it works. Only time will tell.
A big ball of chaeto and best PAR. I tried a few cheap leds before I found an osunby '150w' horticulture light. Light for $50 on amazon. Put this directly over the chaeto, 1/2 inch off the rim (i used legos) for some air circulation,, less salt. Great growth for short $$.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big ball of chaeto and best PAR. I tried a few cheap leds before I found an osunby '150w' horticulture light. Light for $50 on amazon. Put this directly over the chaeto, 1/2 inch off the rim (i used legos) for some air circulation,, less salt. Great growth for short $$.
I just ordered a CANAGROW 200W light from amazon. If I lay it directly on the sump it wil be about 4-6 inches from the water. I feel positive it will do the trick.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a CANAGROW 200W light from amazon. If I lay it directly on the sump it wil be about 4-6 inches from the water. I feel positive it will do the trick.

Just make sure you acclimate your cheato to the light and watch for signs of over lighting at first. Best of luck!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there is a little air space foraircirculation so salt water doesn't condense on the light as this will cause premature failure.
Those look, to have better spectrum and form factor. I'll try those next, thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason23

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what you're asking - I assume you mean something in your sump that can filter your tank - as compared to filtering 'the sump itself'. Assuming that - I would get a skimmer. I have found UV - to be a hassle (especially given the space considerations with a Red Sea tank) - getting all the stuff out to clean it, etc is a major hassle (at least it was for me) - I just started trying chemipure blue - in my filter socks - it has not made a huge difference 'yet' - part of the answer depends on your bio load. The more you have - the more filtration you need. Good luck with your new tank
Yes I have noticed space is limited for uv. And makes sense also with more bio load more filtration. I guess I’ll just see what I need as I go along.

OP
OP
Jason23

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which uv sterilizer would you recommend for 100 gal softies and fish?
I have no clue I still have to research on what kind of uv sterilizer are out there for bigger tanks. I’m used to getting stuff for my innovative marine tank lol. Saw one from brs. But idk yet

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back