Sump and filtration questions

hannahbananah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m very much a newbie, currently gathering all the information I can before I start putting together my tank. I have a few questions about filtration. I’m sure these questions are answered elsewhere on this site but I haven’t found the exact answers I’m looking for. Here goes:

I have a sump. I do not remember what kind, but that isn’t especially important. It’s wet/dry and clearly has been through the wringer. I’m not going to switch it out just yet because it seems to function just fine. My tank is 60g, drilled bottom, and of course the sump is underneath it. I’ve read about wet/dry pumps and have a basic understanding of what they do. My first question is:
1. Is Polyfil really a good mechanical/biological filter? Should it be the first step in my filtration process, or does the order matter?
2. I plan on getting some sort of other biological filtration, such as the ceramic ring things (can’t remember what they’re called) or bio balls as that’s what I see in my particular sump when I look it up. Do I need both polyfil AND a second form of biological filtration?
2a. Do I need chemical filtration, like carbon, if I treat my water before it enters the tank?
3. I’ve been reading about refugiums. My sump only has two sections, the filtration part and the overflow that sends the water back to the tank via a pump. Should I make a refugium in this second section? Do I need a refugium during initial set up or does that come later?
3a. Do I need a protein skimmer immediately? Do I need both a protein skimmer AND a refugium? When do I need to install them?

okay I think that’s everything I can think of right now. Please help and thanks in advance!!!!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Polyfil is fine as a mechanical filter but you shouldn't rely on it for biological filtration since you will replace/clean it often.

2. Bioballs have kinda fallen out of favor in most tanks but they can be used as a place for bacteria growth. The polyfil shouldn't take their place as a biological filter media.

2a. Its not just a matter of what you put in the tank in regards to water, some of the animals that you put in the tank can release chemicals that can be removed with carbon. I personally don't use carbon all of the time but some people do.

3. Generally there is some kind of macro algea in a refugium and if you make the return chamber into a refugium you will have an issue with your pump sucking in the algea.

3a. You don't need a protein skimmer immediately, some people would say you don't need a protein skimmer at all. Some people will run a protein skimmer, some a refugium, some both, and some neither. There is no one right answer for what you will need have a successful tank. Often these things get added after your cycle is complete and you start having a bio load on the tank.

Please keep in mind that my answers are from my experience and you may get completely different answers from others. Everyone uses different methods. I personally rarely use carbon, I always use a skimmer, and I have a section where I can add a refugium in the future if I ever feel the need to. I also don't use any kind of special biological filter, the bacteria grows within my rocks, although I've considered adding brightwell bio bricks.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think like this, the amount of crap you need to remove from the tank depends on the amount of crap in the tank, a tank packed with fish needs more filtration than a young sparsely populated tank. I think it's common for beginners to think in a more static way believing you need all these filtration methods from the start but you need to think of it as ins and outs, you dont need lots of outs if there are few ins. Early in a tanks life I just use a skimmer alone, others may do just socks other something else. You can add other forms of filtration later. You need to get testing kits and know what's in your water. If overtime your N and P are rising, then add one more type of filtration.

Mechanical filtration first is a good idea when you do add it, no experience with polyfil (most just use filter socks) but I know some of people use it. You probably don't need it at the start and remember you need to change this weekly.

You can use biological filtration, it can just be more rock, or ceramic media/siporax in the sump. You mentioned "a second form" but polyfil is mechanical not biological if I am thinking of the correct product.

You can add a fuge later.

Lot's of people like carbon for water clarity and as a filtration method, You use it passively in a bag in the sump if you dont want to buy a reactor. Rinse it before use and remember like the mechanical filtration it requires changing.

Most important message here is that filtration should scale with the tanks bioload. Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back