Sump cleaning

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure you are if you're scouring the walls of the sump. imo those sponges are more beneficial than a spotless sump and personally maintenance cleaning the sump is limited to just removing the detritus and maybe a good clean once or twice a year.
That's what I do, I call it sump and pump day. Clean the sump and the pumps. Do it once every 6 mos. or so.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the buckethead too, then I left it on the porch one weekend and it got rained on [emoji21]
I ended up getting the 2.5g Stinger wet/dry vac. I have found it to be easier to handle in the small space of my sump (reefer 250). It was only $30 so not much more than the bucket head. I have also had back problems and lugging around 2.5g is much easier on the back.
1c70fca171d9f800b6671333ac72b2f8.jpg

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my refugium in one chamber of my sump, so I never clean that one. The other two i just use a shop vac to get the bottom, what i can't pump out.

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small wet vack and get the small attachments - i.e., computer board vac attachment (its all at lowe's) i use the computer attachment and it controls the amount water getting drawn and it gets into tight spaces within my sump

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I always have made on my tanks is something like a close loop with the return pump manifold. I close the display valve, reactors, UV and open the one for this purpose to a filter sucks. Then with a power head stir up all the debrit's from the chambers. And let it recirculate until the water in the sump looks clear again, then I replaced the filter sucks for a clean one and whalaaa. Easy, self cleaning solution.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bucket head vac, but haven't cleaned it in quite a while, and noticed no difference vs. trying to keep it clean. In fact my nutrients drop too low nowadays. No socks and a nasty butt sump.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is down now, but I did just leave a Maxi-Jet powerhead with the propeller attachment in my skimmer chamber. It kept the water churning pretty well and most of the detritus got sucked up into the LifeReef skimmer.

joseph78009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucket head all the way,once a month I do the skimmer and return pump.i leave the fuge alone do not see a noticeable difference in my pod population. I am not a fan of filter socks and a heavy feeder helps keep my excess nutrients manageable.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often does everyone get into their sump and really clean it. I really need to vacuum out the debris in mine. Any ideas on a cheap pump since I can’t syphon it as I would my dt?

I use a 16 gallon wet/dry vacuum from Home Depot without any filters. You just have to rinse it right after you use it so it doesn't corrode. But haven't cleaned it in a long time because the sump is custom and oversized on a 93 cube. The stand is flimsy from water damage and I would have to crawl over the sump and don't want the stand collapsing with me under it. That's why I'm upgrading my tank. But that vac works great. They make one that fits over a 5-gallon pail for like $30.

dMiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 2 gal wet/dry vac from sears. I do total clean every 6 mo including break down of my skimmer.

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop vac. Just remove the filter inside the vacuum before you start. Then dump it in the yard and wash out the vacuum. Make sure you get one that is rated for water. Should be able to get one for $50 at you local big box home improvement store

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bucket Head....sounds great but does it last? I have a mag drive that I use for water changes but am thinking that for the price, I wont be mucking up my pump.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bucket Head....sounds great but does it last? I have a mag drive that I use for water changes but am thinking that for the price, I wont be mucking up my pump.
i considered a bucket head when looking for a maintenance pump and while i'm sure it does a great job at cleaning the sump i was hoping for something that was a little more versatile. the solution for me was a simple mj-1200 and a 5ft piece of hose that stretches over the outlet:
-first i use just the powerhead to mix my new saltwater
-if needed can use it to vac the detritus in the sump
-after i've siphoned the water with my gravel wash i just pop the hose off the cylinder and attach it to the outlet and throw it in my new mixed water to replace the water.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my old shop vac for a new fancy 20g one with a pump feature I can attach a hose and throw out the back door..... I thought it was a great idea till I got it home... it had a 4” hose and can fill all 20g in less than 30secs..

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking plumbing a line off my return to my socks and another one with a silicone hose to be used to stir it all up and just have it filter out through the socks for my upcoming project

thewasho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple for me, every 2-3 months or so just pull all equipment out, soak return pump and skimmer in vinegar and clean reactor and whilst sump is empty give its a bit of a scrub and use one of those battery gravel vacuums designed for freshwater with a small filter sock until its pretty clean, once its all back together only takes a few minutes for the aquaroum to be crystal clear and all my lps get a free detrius feed aswell.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back